Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Coming Soon 3rd and Charlotte St. housing

Yes, plans are underway for the 3rd and Charlotte Apt. Housing.

Here is the source.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...s5nbmaR22zsHrw

A needed residential development that fills up one of many vacant lots in that area. Kudos.

Very ugly design [[even by current residential construction standards) and too much surface parking. This would fit much better somewhere along Hall Road rather than Midtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Very ugly design [[even by current residential construction standards) and too much surface parking. This would fit much better somewhere along Hall Road rather than Midtown Detroit.
    One could say good design is subjective, but it’s now gaining some consensus that the adoption of IBC standards or statewide codes based on those that may be the reason for this aesthetic. Decades ago, cities had their own building codes and they made multi-unit housing more costly. Often, this meant a higher sunk cost so architectural embellishments and the inherent aesthetic qualities of non-combustible materials [[like brick and stone) were more common. Technology and safety improvements have allowed wood frame buildings that are clad in lightweight siding and veneer that feel a lot like wallpaper vs a traditional load bearing system.

The positives are multi unit housing is now cheaper to build. The downside is it’s often criticized for not looking the greatest

Some larger jurisdictions still maintain their own building codes. Or some have hybrids. For example, Chicago has adopted IBC but still has rigid fire wall requirements. As a result, a ton of buildings are still built with load bearing masonry, sharing a lot in common with their century old neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Technology and safety improvements have allowed wood frame buildings that are clad in lightweight siding and veneer that feel a lot like wallpaper vs a traditional load bearing system.

The positives are multi unit housing is now cheaper to build. The downside is it’s often criticized for not looking the greatest.
    So those 700K+ "Lee Press-On veneer" units in Brush Park only have a shelf life of 1/2 century?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So those 700K+ "Lee Press-On veneer" units in Brush Park only have a shelf life of 1/2 century?
    You misspelled 1 Mil+….and yes

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    You misspelled 1 Mil+….and yes
    I wasn't sure if they had any cheaper studio units...

I would hate to own one of those once the NEZ property tax breaks run out...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-12-22 at 05:23 PM.

'Lee Press-On'! That's a good one. The construction and materials is tinny and crappy in many of these new properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

The IBC is primarily for health and welfare of the residents and the general public. The building code doesn’t dictate design. As written, it’s the bare minimum and unfortunately some developers need to be pushed to do even the bare minimum. Innovative design can’t be forced by IBC, it’s something designers would aspire to go beyond. What you see here is a lazy, low effort response - codes aren’t to blame.

The design is even less redeeming than the Arburn.
    https://www.apartments.com/the-aubur...it-mi/937pjx6/
    Last edited by hybridy; January-13-22 at 09:22 AM.

yall understand this is literally a first draft right? it's obvious from the [only] rendering released so far that what's been shared is very, very rough and certain to change from here. like you can literally still see the penciled perspective lines! it seems like some of you have never done a creative project that evolves/improves as the process goes. you gotta start somewhere and tbh it's nice to even get a look this early on.

i'll eat my words if this thing gets built verbatim to the current spec, but this image has all the signs of version-one rough draft – i guess just give them a second to do more of the work?

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    i'll eat my words if this thing gets built verbatim to the current spec, but this image has all the signs of version-one rough draft – i guess just give them a second to do more of the work?
    Won't we all. Based on the target tenant mix and value-engineering yet to come, this thing won't get better looking. If anything, it will get worse. Perhaps you're not in the industry, but projects rarely get 'better looking' once they've gone public.

See: Lafayette West, Pullman Parc, Midtown West....
    Last edited by hybridy; January-13-22 at 10:55 AM.