Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gilbert buys former GM-UAW Training Center

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...it-riverfront/

Some people shop on-line, some go to stores. Dan shops on Google Earth. Plans are being developed for - wait for it - a mixed use development.

Gilbert Town as annexed the Detroit East Side Riverfront.

Friend of mind that worked there upon occasion said the GM people referred to it as the "Taj Mahal."

On 18 spacious riverfront acres the complex cost $180 million to build in 2000. The 450,000 sq. ft. complex comes with a 375 seat theatre, a full scale cafeteria, and terrazzo floors. The complex comes with a 900 car underground heated parking garage. It has a private connection to the Riverwalk from the waterfront terrace. No wonder they called it the "Taj Mahal"...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-22-21 at 09:51 AM.

I would love to see them jump start redevelopment in that area. Looks like they are going to add some density in the coming years which is definitely needed. I hope they can come up with some ways to make it seem a lot less like a fortress along the river. It is bad enough with Harbortown right next door but the two blocks together really prevent any flow to the river from Jefferson.

It cost $180M to build that place? Jeeze. I wonder if it really cost $120M and the rest lined a lot of pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It cost $180M to build that place? Jeeze. I wonder if it really cost $120M and the rest lined a lot of pockets.
    Prolly taxpayers paid for everything including bribes and kickbacks. "Holy the vast lamb of the middle class!"

Still holy! But nowhere near as vast as in days of the poet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Taj Mahal interiors don't come cheap...

This project was overseen by Matt Cullen... former GM Properties Manager [[when they bought and renovated the RenCen), and later executive for Rock Financial, The Jack Gaming, developing the Q-Line, and also chairman of Detroit's Riverfront Conservancy.

Somehow I don't think "bribes, kickbacks, and lining pockets" are in his past or current resumé...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-22-21 at 02:06 PM.

My understanding is that the three training centers [[GM, Ford and Chrysler) were financed by a 10 cent per hour contribution from each hourly UAW worker for that particular company. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to a big pile of money.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    My understanding is that the three training centers [[GM, Ford and Chrysler) were financed by a 10 cent per hour contribution from each hourly UAW worker for that particular company. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to a big pile of money.
    I think that's all you need to know right there. 10 cents an hour from every worker to fund bribery and graft and which ultimately only hurt the union to the benefit of management.

Less than four months ago I heard that this property was bought by someone else. Did Gilbert make them a deal that they couldn't refuse? Regarding access to the riverfront, there are two roads leading to the RiverWalk on the eastside and the westside of the building. The access road on the eastside is Adair Street. There is a sidewalk that partially travels towards the RiverWalk but ends at a loading dock access point. It would be nice if they could actually construct a sidewalk on the eastside of the street ,on Harbortown property, that would allow pedestrians access all the way down to the RiverWalk. It would also be nice if Harbortown build some more residential units along that stretch of Adair Street.

The access road on the westside of the complex is on Guion Street. It would be nice to allow pedestrians to use that road, but currently it is closed with a gate. And speaking of Guion Street. It would be nice, now that Gilbert own Stroh River Place, to open up Guion Street to pedestrians. The back/eastside of Stroh River Place has this nice walkway that is lined up with offices that could be converted to shops. Guion Street would be a great access to this walkway. That's my two cents.
    Last edited by royce; December-22-21 at 10:59 PM.

^ Royce... Gilbert only bought up part of Stroh River Place complex, not quite half of it...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...se/5088903001/

This a gorgeous property that would seem well-fitted for residential/retail. DetroitYES was interested in acquiring it for its world HQ but its bid fell a "few" million short. [I wish]

I'm with Southen. This property has the potential to ignite the development of that area of the Riverfront that already has a substantial and affluent residential population with Harbortown and Stroh's developments as bookends. Since it was created it has been a forbidding walled-off mystery.

Name:  the-icon.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  84.9 KB

I agree Lowell... would be awesome if Gilbert bought up the remaining 2/3 of Stroh River Place, as well as the hotel between River Place and Icon.

I wouldn't mind it if he bought up Harbortown as well. It is only about 60% finished from the original plan... and still has potential for some more towers, which was the original concept.

The symmetry of the Icon Center [I'm sure it will get a new name] is best seen from your aerial view. Wouldn't mind it if they removed the cafeteria on the eastern side, and built a matching 7 story tower as is on the western side of that project.

This area has the potential to match the Gold Coast high rise area on the east side of the Belle Isle Bridge. That would just create more developers to be interested to build in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ Royce... Gilbert only bought up part of Stroh River Place complex, not quite half of it...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...se/5088903001/
    Gistok, what the news article shows appears to be all of Stroh River Place. Are you saying that out of the entire complex [[300 River Place in the article), only a portion of it was bought? How does that work? He owns the eastern half or floors 1-3?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Gistok, what the news article shows appears to be all of Stroh River Place. Are you saying that out of the entire complex [[300 River Place in the article), only a portion of it was bought? How does that work? He owns the eastern half or floors 1-3?
    Scroll down one page on the link, and it shows exactly which buildings/sites at Stroh River Place that he purchased, circled in orange.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I would love to see them jump start redevelopment in that area. Looks like they are going to add some density in the coming years which is definitely needed. I hope they can come up with some ways to make it seem a lot less like a fortress along the river. It is bad enough with Harbortown right next door but the two blocks together really prevent any flow to the river from Jefferson.
    The current master plan for this area shows mid-rise to high-rise buildings along E Jefferson Ave [[like the 9-story Garden Court Condos in the top left of the photo), with stepdowns back to the river so as not to obstruct views.

E Jefferson Ave. needs more density along it, and I hope some of these acquisitions can spur that development interest