Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default World Economic Forum

Was wondering if anyone was able to find out if anything was announced at the World Economic Forum in Detroit for Dec. 6th - 8th? Curious to know if any details were announced for the Gratiot site apart from the World Economic Forum center would eventually relocate there. This is only article I could find recently, but doesn't go into much detail about plans for that site:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2021/12/07/duggan-business-leaders-use-summit-tout-public-private-initiatives/6417556001/

The plan for the Gratiot site is to become an innovation center which is kinda a collection of groups forming up to shape the city for the future.

Its a fad based on a working think tank of sorts,they have tried to implement these on a world scale but get pushback because they operate outside of city government,city government is the representative of the people and the people should have a say in it all,sense they are the actually paying for it.

They have them in other cities across the world and to me and my uneducated views,they are basically little taxpayer sponges of a development that really do not do anything on a large scale of change.

Personally I do not trust NGOs because they forget that they are not an elected government but spend a lot of time acting like one.

At any rate,there are two,what I guess they call forward thinking concepts,Inovation districts and Smart Districts and here is a link that describes what they do and some examples of in other cities.

Disclaimer - link contains more then 6 words,if one is offend at the prospect of reading more then 6 words,it would be advisable to skip it.

https://cityinnovatorsforum.com/inno...he-difference/

This NGO is only one moving part in the bigger scheme of this proposed innovation hub and seems to be focusing on the future transportation aspect of the city and green $ .

On the surface it seems like,yea pretty cool,electric cars buzzing about and mass transit implemented but they have not in any country been able to establish that in a large scale in a chosen city.

Paris went about removing vehicles from the city all together,charging a high entry fee to enter with one,London is implementing the same thing.

But Detroit has a lot of space and that would be hard to do,louse it gets very expensive to have a simple package delivered,because all additional costs are handed down to you anyways.

You have to read the link and decide it’s pluses and minuses,to me it just adds a private layer of coming up with fancy ways to spend taxpayers money when the city is already doing it on their own under the watchful eye and control of the taxpayers.

It would be different if it advanced the timeframe of the city moving forward,but it has not been proven that it does that outside of an additional development of the taxpayer supported property.

The thing with NGOs is they are world wide little self funded governments operating outside of the realm of elected governments,that like to hide the identity of their backers,so you never really know what their end game is,or a bunch of billionaires and large corporations throwing money into a big pot and playing Sim city on a world scale including running of private armies to “implement change” according to their views as it is happening all across the African nations.

To me it harkens back to the brilliant ideas of urban renewal and slamming freeways through cities because it seems like the thing to do at the time without really looking at long term consequences.

It is hard to figure out motive with the adding of the world wide transit aspect in the mix here,it could very well be looking at a way to circumvent the need for an RTA,which would be good,but is it good enough to justify the larger picture of billionaires playing sim city.

I am old school though,to me people do not need innovation and plans for 50 years down the road,they need to eat,live and prosper today while also planning for the future,all this innovative thinking does not help with immediate needs.

Detroit got its reputation in the past from building the best stuff in the world,it can still do it while working with what it has already,but that same stupid mentality of everybody has to walk around in a suit and tie,that got us to where we are at now,is the only way moving forward.
    Last edited by Richard; December-09-21 at 12:20 AM.

^ As long as you use sense and since correctly, people won't be bothered about more than 6 words...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-09-21 at 01:09 AM.

^ if you applied a little reading comprehension or even a spat of common sense you would have seen that the disclaimer was for the attached link [clearly spelled out] and no where did I imply it covered the entire post.

It was not a matter of being snarky,it was a fact based on previous experience,I wanted to lesson the trauma to those who find it difficult to read more then three lines of anything and feel the constant need to keep letting the world know about that traumatic experience,even though the world could care less.

See,I was being a nice guy and trying to go out of my way in helping you live a less stressful and traumatized life by offering a warning,but I see you still found a way to be traumatized by something else,I guess in the future you will just have to come to terms within yourself and deal with it

Do you actually have anything relative to the discussion to contribute,outside of yer own little personal wa wa ing

If I was looking to say something snarky it would be - here you are looking for perfection on the internet that is filled with anonymous posters from all walks of life ,bless your little heart.
    Last edited by Richard; December-09-21 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It was not a matter of being snarky,it was a fact based on previous experience,I wanted to lesson the trauma to those who find it difficult to read more then three lines of anything and feel the constant need to keep letting the world know about that traumatic experience,even though the world could care less.
    It is difficult to contradict yourself within the same sentence. Well done sir.