Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Seeking Assistance Finding 1921 House in Detroit

I am seeking assistance finding the address of a home built by Edward and Louis Rose in 1921 in Detroit. The only information I have is the photo, year, builder, and city. With that information, is it possible to find a home that was built at this time in Detroit?

Name:  FirstHouse [[1).jpg
Views: 917
Size:  148.8 KB

The only thing I could think off of hand is getting. A Regrid.com account and filter parcels one by one by year built.

Possible, but it won't be easy...

Did you try the 1920 and 1930 Census?

Good dig and a very interesting story.

The 1928 Polk city directory shows an Edward Rose, builder, with wife Lillian at 16652 Lawton. There is also an Edward A Rose of company Rose Bros. with wife Elise shown at 2594 Cadillac. A Louis Rose, building contractor, with wife Tilly is shown with business at 13402 Fenkell and home at 3294 Clements.

Of course, none of these addresses are the house in the picture, which I gather was a house built by some of these men at the beginning of what would become the now 100 year history of Edward Rose & Sons Co. The only one of the addresses above from the directory that appears to be still standing is the house on Lawton.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The only one of the addresses above from the directory that appears to be still standing is the house on Lawton.
    If the address search in Earth is correct, I see houses at all three addresses, all brick. The Cadillac and Lawton blocks look pretty good, neat yards, well maintained, but the Clements block is trashed ... some possibly nice houses that could be saved with a lot of work.

Weren't all city addresses renumbered in 1922?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Good dig and a very interesting story.

The 1928 Polk city directory shows an Edward Rose, builder, with wife Lillian at 16652 Lawton. There is also an Edward A Rose of company Rose Bros. with wife Elise shown at 2594 Cadillac. A Louis Rose, building contractor, with wife Tilly is shown with business at 13402 Fenkell and home at 3294 Clements.

Of course, none of these addresses are the house in the picture, which I gather was a house built by some of these men at the beginning of what would become the now 100 year history of Edward Rose & Sons Co. The only one of the addresses above from the directory that appears to be still standing is the house on Lawton.
    The Edward Rose with wife, Lillian, is the correct Edward Rose. Louis Rose was Edward's brother.

In 1921, he began building single-family homes in the metro Detroit area with his brother, Joseph and George Sherman under the logo Rose Builders, ‘King of the Builders’. In their first year, they built five homes, including the first house that was a single-story frame house on the west side of Detroit. The next year, they built ten homes. By 1924, they built 15 homes in a year. However, according to Louis’ son, Saul Rose, they were “stubborn, cantankerous guys,” and had a domestic squabble resulting in a split-up after the Depression began. By 1925, Edward Rose started building homes on his own.

Edward and Lillian Rose Home in 16651 Lawton. [[Not far from old home and down the street from Aunt's home.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4146...7i16384!8i8192

Edward A Rose of company Rose Bros. and his wife Elise used to live at 2594 Cadillac.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3682...7i16384!8i8192

A Louis Rose, building contractor, and his wife Tilly use to operate this business at 13402 Fenkell

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4020...7i16384!8i8192

And one of the properties at 3294 Clements St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3912...7i16384!8i8192

Enjoy those sites.

Would that Louis Rose be the same one that ran a DeSoto dealership on Woodward at Louise in Highland Park, roughly where Bill Snethkamp is today?

Picture is a framecap from a film taken out the front window of a Woodward streetcar, likely November or December 1955 - note the wreaths on the streetlights that Highland Park put up through the 1960s.Name:  LouisRoseDeSoto.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  43.2 KB