Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Broadhead Submarine

Does anyone have pictures of the submarine that used to be behind Broadhead Naval? What was the name of it?

I'll have to look for one, I remember that being there.

It's called the Tambor, apparently.

Edit: in 1965, there was a sub called the U S S CERO. So there were 2 there?
    Last edited by townonenorth; November-12-21 at 09:31 AM.

This is the USS Tambor, on its way to her new home in St. Louis
    Name:  CERO.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  293.7 KB
    Last edited by townonenorth; November-12-21 at 09:38 AM.

USS Tambor, WWII Navy sub, pulling in 8th December 1947
    Attachment 41807
    Last edited by townonenorth; November-12-21 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    It's called the Tambor, apparently.

Edit: in 1965, there was a sub called the U S S CERO. So there were 2 there?
    USS Tambor was based in Detroit 1947-1959. Replaced by USS Cero, 1959-1967. Cero replaced by USS Piper, 1967-1970.

1968 photo of Cero and Piper before Cero was towed to scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    1968 photo of Cero and Piper before Cero was towed to scrap.
    Thanks for the pic Mike, now we know that the "boat" was the USS Amherst PCER-853

https://www.navsource.org/archives/12/02853.htm
    Last edited by Hornwrecker; November-13-21 at 06:13 AM.

As a very young kid that was into military stuff, I clearly remember that for a while, there were two submarines docked on the river at Brodhead for a period of time. We'd go to from our Grosse Pointe home down Jefferson Ave to the Detroit Boat Club on Belle Isle pretty much ever Saturday or Sunday during the Summer and I'd always study the subs while crossing the MacArthur Bridge. Then all of a sudden, there was just one submarine there. This would have been sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s -- I was born in November 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
    As a very young kid that was into military stuff, I clearly remember that for a while, there were two submarines docked on the river at Brodhead for a period of time. We'd go to from our Grosse Pointe home down Jefferson Ave to the Detroit Boat Club on Belle Isle pretty much ever Saturday or Sunday during the Summer and I'd always study the subs while crossing the MacArthur Bridge. Then all of a sudden, there was just one submarine there. This would have been sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s -- I was born in November 1965.
    From the Detroit Historical Society: "Black and white negative film taken during time trials on June 25th for the 1968 Gold Cup Race, to be held on June 30th on the Detroit River, of U.S. Navy vessel AMHERST and the submarines PIPER [[SS-409) and CERO [[SS-225), docked in front of the naval armory. The picture was taken from the Belle Isle Bridge. High winds forced postponement of the race until September 8th."

This was part of Border security? or training?

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    This was part of Border security? or training?
    Reserves training.

I remember doing a tour of the sub one day in 50 or 51.