Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Emagine Theatre in Midtown? ugh...

Big Sean reveals construction has began on multiplex theater in Detroit’s Midtown | The Scene [[metrotimes.com)

God I'm not looking forward to this.... I can almost hear the fights, gun shots, and 10,000 teens hanging out in the parking lot with their scooters now....

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Big Sean reveals construction has began on multiplex theater in Detroit’s Midtown | The Scene [[metrotimes.com)

God I'm not looking forward to this.... I can almost hear the fights, gun shots, and 10,000 teens hanging out in the parking lot with their scooters now....
    Big Sean graduated from Cass Tech with a decent GPA so he's no dummy; but is this a smart business move? Do people still go to movie theatres?

Default Small Area

such a small area, for a theater, going to be very interesting, how it looks.

That picture is definitely of the 2nd ave bridge right?

Wondering if they are still looking at building on that oblong WSU parking lot. Seems kind of odd location considering that it is on a corner of an interchange in the middle of a college campus. Apart from being near the WSU dorms, kind of odd location from both a walking and driving standpoint for people not attending WSU.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3604...7i16384!8i8192

The picture is indeed on Palmer between 2nd and 3rd. Strange place to put it considering both the geographic location and the shape of the lot. This "construction has looked the same for the last year according to streetview, maybe this is to announce the re-start of work at the site.

To the OPs point through, with that reasoning you could be against ANY development that will attract people. WSU PD patrols the area, and I'm sure Emagine will not be tolerating behavior that scares away customers.

I agree with you. Look what happen to AMC Star Theater in Southfield, MI. And Big Sean wants his ghetto-like Emagine Theater near Wayne State Campus. The board will not like it and they will fight it to the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3604...7i16384!8i8192

The picture is indeed on Palmer between 2nd and 3rd. Strange place to put it considering both the geographic location and the shape of the lot. This "construction has looked the same for the last year according to streetview, maybe this is to announce the re-start of work at the site.

To the OPs point through, with that reasoning you could be against ANY development that will attract people. WSU PD patrols the area, and I'm sure Emagine will not be tolerating behavior that scares away customers.

You miss the point entirely to suggest I'm against "ANY development that attracts people." I just remember the problems Birmingham had, Royal Oak had [[or may still have), and as someone posted, that AMC Southfield had. I'm sure the LAST thing WSUPD wants to do is deal with all that BS that these other PD's and theatres have had to deal with. To suggest my ire against this form of development is my reaction to ALL development - you're wrong, it's not! I'm just thinking that the benefit of a theatre in the neighborhood is going to be WAY outweighed by the all the BS it's going to bring. I'm sure RO, Birmingham, and the Greektown owner's are ESTATIC to see this go up here. Anything that will get the teens out of their hair!
    Last edited by casscorridor65; November-12-21 at 03:45 PM.

Yes. Parking lot 22 was announced as the location for the theater a while ago, but the state is currently using the site to build the new bridge. Big Sean's original tweet did not indicate in any way that construction had begun on the theater, only that he was excited the project is moving forward and that he wants to do more in the future. Methinks Metrotimes misinterpreted a picture and wrote a whole article about it.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Methinks Metrotimes misinterpreted a picture and wrote a whole article about it.
    Very on brand for that publication.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post

If this project ever comes to fruition, you must realize Emagine is well aware of these concerns and has thoroughly thought through these operational issues prior to attaching their name to the project.

Emagine will enforce their unaccompanied minors rule or some version of it. The location is also not geared to teenagers, but rather students and young professionals who live in the area. The parking will not be free either - same as Royal Oak.

No one 15 years old or younger will be admitted after 9 p.m. unless they are accompanied by a parent or Adult Guardian who agrees to be responsible for the conduct and safety of the underage guest. Children 6 and under are not permitted in R-Rated films.
    https://www.emagine-entertainment.co...nd-conditions/
    Last edited by hybridy; November-12-21 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    If this project ever comes to fruition, you must realize Emagine is well aware of these concerns and has thoroughly thought through these operational issues prior to attaching their name to the project.

Emagine will enforce their unaccompanied minors rule or some version of it. The location is also not geared to teenagers, but rather students and young professionals who live in the area. The parking will not be free either - same as Royal Oak.

https://www.emagine-entertainment.co...nd-conditions/
    Or they'll just happily take the royalties until it shuts down. The 16-24 yr. old demographic is not exactly always charming. Heck they overturn cars at MSU even when they win.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Yes. Parking lot 22 was announced as the location for the theater a while ago, but the state is currently using the site to build the new bridge. Big Sean's original tweet did not indicate in any way that construction had begun on the theater, only that he was excited the project is moving forward and that he wants to do more in the future. Methinks Metrotimes misinterpreted a picture and wrote a whole article about it.
    The picture was from Big Sean's instagram post.

If anything, assuming what you're speculating is correct, Big Sean is the one who was being misleading [[not Metrotimes).
    Last edited by 313WX; November-12-21 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Or they'll just happily take the royalties until it shuts down. The 16-24 yr. old demographic is not exactly always charming. Heck they overturn cars at MSU even when they win.
    Let's be clear on Midtown demographics. It's home to 20k+ residents. It is one of the highest income + lowest crime rate neighborhoods within the city. It's home to multiple large hospital systems [DMC, the VA, HFHS] each employing thousands of people. It's home to major public research university and outposts for 2 others [Michigan State and UofM]. It also holds the cultural institutions of the city and the State. Ever been to Noel Night with 50k other well behaved people? The perception of who is welcome and what behavior is expected will be crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Let's be clear on Midtown demographics. It's home to 20k+ residents. It is one of the highest income + lowest crime rate neighborhoods within the city. It's home to multiple large hospital systems [DMC, the VA, HFHS] each employing thousands of people. It's home to major public research university and outposts for 2 others [Michigan State and UofM]. It also holds the cultural institutions of the city and the State. Ever been to Noel Night with 50k other well behaved people? The perception of who is welcome and what behavior is expected will be crystal clear.
    It will be the only 1st run theater anywhere near downtown. Not sure how you decide who is welcome. Clothes? Hair? Maybe vaccination status.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The picture was from Big Sean's instagram post.

If anything, assuming what you're speculating is correct, Big Sean is the one who was being misleading [[not Metrotimes).
    Big Sean's post never implied construction was underway, but the Metrotimes' article did based on the photo. Two seconds of research would have shown it was the bridge.

Wow this post is a horrible take. Feels like I got warped back to 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It will be the only 1st run theater anywhere near downtown.
    It would be the only 1st run chain theatre in the area. The independent Cinema Detroit does screen first run films among its offerings. We just saw The French Dispatch there last weekend.

I haven’t been to a movie theater in about 18 months, we used to go regularly, once or twice a month. If I have to sit in a theater with a mask on for three hours I’m not going to go, no matter where the theater is located.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Big Sean's post never implied construction was underway, but the Metrotimes' article did based on the photo. Two seconds of research would have shown it was the bridge.
    Like I said, Big Sean is the one who was being misleading [[not Metrotimes).

Otherwise, he shouldn't have included a photo of construction in his instagram post about the theater being on the way.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-13-21 at 01:03 PM.

A media outlet should have done approximately 30 seconds of research to confirm that construction had actually started before running an entire story based on that premise. But, it is the Metrotimes, so I am not surprised. Done arguing about this.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Done arguing about this.
    It was never an argument. I was merely setting the facts straight for people who seem to want to absolve Big Sean of blame for hyping something that is apparently [[according to you and the other poster) still vaporware.

Cheers!
    Last edited by 313WX; November-13-21 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I haven’t been to a movie theater in about 18 months, we used to go regularly, once or twice a month. If I have to sit in a theater with a mask on for three hours I’m not going to go, no matter where the theater is located.
    Then please stay home. I cannot fathom the inability of someone to wear a face mask continually for a couple of hours, especially given the recent rise in COVID cases. The slightest little bit of inconvenience these days, and people turn into quivering masses of jelly...

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Then please stay home. I cannot fathom the inability of someone to wear a face mask continually for a couple of hours, especially given the recent rise in COVID cases. The slightest little bit of inconvenience these days, and people turn into quivering masses of jelly...
    They become the whiniest of babies.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    I noticed that also when they put 3/4 of the country on house arrest,while those at the top were exempt.

At a time when one can order first run movies from the comfort of their living room,theaters cannot be to choosy,people have personal choices always have always will,I am not going to be the one that tries to berate or think less of ine because they make that choice.

Following the crowd got a lot of people dead in history,they did not curtail the wantonness of the super spreaders that received the shot even when they knew they could still spread it,they told everybody they did not have to wear it,just like everything else,there will be an acceptable amount of deaths,you are not going to change it.

No need for all the drama in-between.

This all reminds me of when AIDS first hit the scene everywhere you looked or watched in the media,if you had sex you were going to catch AIDS and die,if you touched anything that somebody with aids touched you would catch it,turns out 3/4 of what they were pushing was point blank false.

I am more worried about the idiot texting while driving then catching corona while maskless in a theater.

If you are wearing your mask,why are you worried or judging the person not wearing theirs,you did not care about them 5 seconds before they sat down next to you in the theater,so why all the fake concerns about others?

Unless of course one is unsure of the effectiveness of the mask in the first place,it would be understandable.
    Last edited by Richard; November-24-21 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast