Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Border opens to Canadians on Monday, Nov. 8... Sorta

I sometimes say, what 9/11 started the pandemic finished in closing our border. Hopefully the reverse trend begins tomorrow and Canada follows suit in reducing its impediments. Coming and going will still be Covid-impaired. From the US Embassy in Canada website...
    Effective November 8, 2021, all non-immigrant, non-U.S. citizen air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States. In addition, fully vaccinated foreign nationals traveling for tourism or other non-essential reasons may enter the United States at land ports of entry [[POE) and ferry terminals.

U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents [[LPRs) who are eligible to travel by air but are not fully vaccinated will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test one [[1) day before their flight. U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three [[3) days before their flight.

Time for Canada to consider easing its restrictions? While the Canadian border has been "open" one must obtain a negative Covid PCR test within 72 hours of crossing, as my son did for a Toronto trip this weekend. I see where this has led an enterprising Windsor doctor to set up at low cost [$75] testing site on East Jefferson in anticipation of a surge of Canadians entering the US and returning. The test normally costs $150.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ans-1.16414120

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's Chief Medical Officer of Health, hinted strongly that a change will be coming this week so that short-term visits to the U.S. will not require the test. It really is quite silly. Canadians can get tested in Canada before leaving for a couple of days. How does that prevent the spread if they're worried about Canadians contracting it in the U.S. and bringing it back? They would be far better to require people get tested 3 days after returning when the incubation period has ended but of course they can't police that.

Florida has been flooded with Canadians for at least the last year and it will increase as the cold weather sets in,many have homes here or spots in RV parks.

They did not fly they drove,so even with the border closed,which made little difference when it came to illegals jumping it.

I think it is wrong,you are only our friends as long as you do not pose a risk to us,they helped us with sacrifice while beating fascism and wakos for decades,if they want to get in a plane naked and fly here they should be able to.

Not to go down that road in this thread but the mandate requirements are being shot down in the Supreme Court,the majority of the country has moved on it might be time for the rest.

Most states have removed their emergency orders and considering you can freely travel from state to state internally coming from Canada is not much different then going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

I had lunch with a Canadian last week and,gasp,neither one of us was wearing a mask or had the shot,at no time was I afraid of catching their cooties.

There are airlines in this country that do not require shot records or proof of compliance in order to fly.

I think we already learned that if the little bugger wants to spread,it will and closing borders and flight mandates are not going to stop it.

If it takes up to 14 days to find out if you really have it and people have tested multiple times negative then positive in a span of days,it would appear the 72 hour mandate is a bit of a facade.

Most places that have publicly stated shot record was mandatory to enter,you can walk into without a shot record or mask.

Live nation stated you cannot attend or purchase concert tickets without proof of shot,but yet you can go online,purchase tickets and attend without showing proof of anything,outside of available funds.

Sense the 1940s Canadians have had the right to travel in this country unrestricted while using their country supplied drivers license,unrestricted is the key word.

Without an emergency travel mandate still in place,it is kinda surprising that the Geneva convention requirement of unrestricted international travel has not been applied.
    Last edited by Richard; November-07-21 at 01:08 PM.

I don't get the point of this dictatorship at the border still. At this point everybody has either gotten covid and recovered or had the vaccine.

It's not like covid never touched Canada and only stayed in the US, makes no difference to covid if the border is closed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Live nation stated you cannot attend or purchase concert tickets without proof of shot, but yet you can go online, purchase tickets and attend without showing proof of anything, outside of available funds.
    Are you "just assuming" that Ticketmaster, the major source of venue tickets in America asks for proof of vaccine?? Because they do not. They will sell tickets to anyone, regardless of vaccination status. That responsibility lies with the venue upon entry. Perhaps tickets purchased at the venue require proof?

Here is a list of many Michigan venues and their vaccination status requirements... LiveNations in Detroit says they require vaccination proof OR recent Covid test results, although some venues won't accept the latter...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...oof-for-entry/

I had lunch with a Canadian last week and,gasp,neither one of us was wearing a mask or had the shot,at no time was I afraid of catching their cooties.
    I could have sworn in earlier posts while talking about respecting anyone not getting vaccinated that you stated you were vaccinated. Are you really Aaron Rodgers?
    Last edited by 401don; November-07-21 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I could have sworn in earlier posts while talking about respecting anyone not getting vaccinated that you stated you were vaccinated. Are you really Aaron Rodgers?
    Got chá ,you are mistaken so you just going to jump to all sorts of conclusions and build your case from there.

You are as bad as the other one,I am not a Canadian looking to fly under oppressive conditions.

I am Richard and the thread is not about me,unless of course if you are an unvaccinated Canadian and wanna fly to the states under the radar,it’s probably possible for a fee.

Or one can probably just walk across the border,call a taxi or just grab one,they are usually waiting,to a airport in the states and fly anywhere ones unvaccinated little heart desires.

Or,sense private aircraft does not fall under the federal classification of a commercial aircraft in Canada and subject to mandates …..

The irony of it all,is immigrants are going to do what they do,Covid or not,they have been crossing unimpeded the whole time,so it is not really about stopping the spread is it?

Interesting enough,we have had no mandates but are the lowest cases in the country after the peak.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-now-has-americas-lowest-covid-rate-does-ron-de-santis-deserve-credit-090013615.html

Explain again how this whole mandate or die situation works? There is plenty of evidence supporting their actual effectiveness.

I believe most everybody is well aware of risks involved,even grown up adults who are perfectly capable of making making decisions,they kinda already do on a daily basis as it is,if the government feels I need a babysitter in life,they can send me a brunette,I will comply.
    Last edited by Richard; November-07-21 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    ... How does that prevent the spread if they're worried about Canadians contracting it in the U.S. and bringing it back? ...
    It never had anything to do with virus control. If you listened to the Prime Minister he was really clear that he didn't want Canadians to travel south. There was a big issue when it was noticed by the press up there that Canadian Snowbirds figured out how to get to FL/AZ. They responded with lots of silly rules like their mandatory hospital quarantine at usurious rates.

There are also $1m fines, and electronic location monitoring programs in place. Yet thousands of truck drivers / 'essential services' cross the border each day if not every hour without PCR tests.

It was all a game to discourage travel. Effectiveness of virus control was only incidental to the game.

It polled well.

If they really wanted to control viral spread, all they'd have to do is require a Rapid Antigen Test at the border for EVERYONE. That they prefer an expensive PCR test that tells you nothing about infectiousness rather than a perfectly targeted test that does, tells you what you need to know here.

Richard - Did you even read that Yahoo article? Because it doesn't really verify your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Richard - Did you even read that Yahoo article? Because it doesn't really verify your claim.
    Thank you, Maof. I was going to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Yes I read it but figured that people would take it into the broader picture and zoom out so I would not have to make a long ass post.

The crux is - do shot mandates and or travel restrictions stop the spread of Covid?

The example I provided that dispels the narrative,Florida,proves they are not effective.

Why Florida ?

Because we never had the strict lockdowns,outside of the original at the start.

Florida never had the closed state borders at the start.

Never had hard and fast mask mandates

Never had hard and fast vaccination mandates,but has vaccinations numbers higher then most states.

While all of that never had part was going on ?

1000s we’re coming to the state at the height of the pandemic in order to escape over oppressive mandates that other states had.

On top of all of that

1600 + people are moving to the state PER DAY from northern states that saw the worst pandemic rates and deaths at the peak.

Putting all of that into context ,Florida should have the worst case rates in the world,because they have done everything opposite of what everybody else did while in a position to have the worst case rates,because of the free flow of movement.

No argument about masks,but if travel restrictions and shot mandates are the stead fast only solution to stopping the spread,why is Florida exempt from that?

The flu is highly contagious and can spread,but never has anybody required a flu shot for employment,or to get on a plane,or to go to school,or to eat in a restaurant,thousands die from the flu every year and yet there is no mandated flu shot.

Lest people forget,it is racist to stop people from coming into this country or placing restrictions on them,or was that just another hollow minded ploy?

The United States opened up flights to foreign travelers today or soon.

The requirements are

Un-Vaccinated - must produce a negative test taken 1 day before flight.

Vaccinated- Proof of vaccination and a negative test taken at least 3 days prior.

What do we already know ?

Take 3 different Covid tests and you will get a negative result along with a positive.

It takes 2-14 days for Covid to register in your system.

Take the test 1 day before flight,go out to eat and you could very well become infected on the way to the airport or while standing in line at the airport.

So what is the point ?

The point is you have to sign up for contact tracing or it is a $35,000 fine if you drop it and potential jail time.

Contact tracing for international tourists is handy if they miss their plane and decide to stay in the country forever,with the click of a button you will know their exact location in seconds.

So what exactly are you preventing the spread of - it sure is not COVID,but you gotta admit it is a handy tool.

You do not have to micro chip tourists that plan on becoming illegal,they are signing up to be tracked voluntarily,every single one can be tracked 24/7 - That is wrong,no matter what one feels.

That is the bottom line in all of this,just like after 911.

How much of your personal rights and freedoms are you really ready to give up for a false sense of security?

The Supreme Court shot down the vaccination mandate for employment,how does that carry over to international travelers and mandates for airlines as this all plays out?

Are tourists and foreign nationals subject to the same constitutional rights as a US citizen while on US soil.

Yes they are.

Upon examination, there is far less to the distinction than commonly thought. In particular, foreign nationals are generally entitled to the equal protection of the laws, to political freedoms of speech and associ- ation, and to due process requirements of fair procedure where their lives, liberty, or property are at stake.

https://scholarship.law.georgetown.e...context=facpub

“Because the petitions give cause to believe there are grave statutory and constitutional issues with the Mandate, the Mandate is hereby stayed pending further action by this court,” the court wrote.

So how can you mandate international tourists agree with contact tracing when they are protected under the constitution while on US soil?

They have the same rights as a United States citizen and there is no contact tracing mandate imposed on US citizens.

Where are we going with all of this as a country ?
    Last edited by Richard; November-08-21 at 04:26 PM.

Richard... talky-talky-talky... whose motto is "why use 100 words when 1000 will do!" All they did was ask a single question, and you replied with 35 paragraphs+.

Maof and bartocktoo... aren't you sorry you asked?
    Last edited by Gistok; November-08-21 at 05:23 PM.

^ you seem to have a habit of whining about others without actually contributing.

Bet chá if I had wrote everybody needs to lock down or die,you would be wanting me to replace Falchi or what ever his name is.

Funny how some post links,whose content far out letters mine,you had to read it because you posted the link,no where did you whine to the original author about the length of the article and you took the time to read it.

Times like this proves that some have a narrative,and narratives are what got us to where we are.

To me anyways,that is not a very educated approach,nor does it place anybody on the higher ground where they are in a position to judge others.

It’s whining just to hear oneself whining,and then looking for justification from others,you know Bart already thinks I am a moron,so that response makes about as much sense as trying to sell hot coffee in the middle of a deserted desert.

I understand opposition,even more so the kind of opposition that is shown here when people post things that do not fit their narrative,it’s no different then in past history,you just want to eliminate opposition with any means necessary and your definition of opposition is anybody that may not be as smart as you,millions were sent to the gas chambers with that mindset.

You are not as educated as you claim,if you were you would understand that education is a continuous search for knowledge on various subjects,I am thinking a 2 year liberal arts degree at best,from the example being set forth.
    Last edited by Richard; November-08-21 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I don't get the point of this dictatorship at the border still. At this point everybody has either gotten covid and recovered or had the vaccine.

It's not like covid never touched Canada and only stayed in the US, makes no difference to covid if the border is closed or not.
    So who are these new infections, hospitalizations and deaths if everyone has already had it and recovered?

^ a mix of vaccinated and non vaccinated,looks like it will end up being like the flu,and not go away,people will catch it and die.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9681613/Study-shows-29-people-died-catching-new-strain-vaccinations.html

They also have a habit of not distinguishing between passing directly from Covid or with Covid related or with Covid in the system non related.

Flu season is here,so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Even if you got the shot and had Covid and recovered,no matter to what extent,it is still in your system and you can still show positive.

It did not need Canada to be its Uber in this country before to spread like wildfire.

As a Canadian what are your thoughts about jumping on a plane and visiting,are you scared ?
    Last edited by Richard; November-08-21 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Richard... talky-talky-talky... whose motto is "why use 100 words when 1000 will do!" All they did was ask a single question, and you replied with 35 paragraphs+.

I dozed off after the first sentence

^ it seems to be a common theme these days,that whole dozing off thing.

Some think too highly of themselves,I have got along 61 years without your approval so far,why you think it matters is beyond reasoning.

Notice how the same ones like to deflect and divert discussions that they personally do not like or agree with,like they think the world revolves around them and their little personal world?

Bless your heart.
    Last edited by Richard; November-08-21 at 10:33 PM.

So for those over 18 years of age who are vaccinated can enter or exit any foreign nation as they please. Therefore the unvaccinated Americans over 18 years of age can't leave their country for anything.

Sorry! no jab no entry or exit!

^ it seems to be a common theme these days,that whole dozing off thing.

Some think too highly of themselves,I have got along 61 years without your approval so far,why you think it matters is beyond reasoning.

Notice how the same ones like to deflect and divert discussions that they personally do not like or agree with,like they think the world revolves around them and their little personal world?

Bless your heart.
    I'm not deflecting and I'm certainly not looking for anyone's approval. With that being said, you can get your point across without writing a multi-paragraph response. I'm certain most here don't read half of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

The only things I got out of the response was "were" and "we're" are apparently interchangeable, and "No, I didn't read the whole article, but here's what it would have said if I had written it."

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    ... "No, I didn't read the whole article, but here's what it would have said if I had written it."
    I actually did LOL at that.

The 1% is absolutely terrified of all social media, including DetroitYES. They can't kill it off so the best they can do is to neutralize it with paid astroturfing to Flood the zone with shit.

Ostracism is a team sport.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-09-21 at 11:17 PM.

Actually it just shows the ratio of mature posters on any given site,like in real life there will always be somebody complaining about something,and on the Internet it gives them a voice to hear themselves complain.

Personally that last thing I would be worried about in life is what some random poster - posted,it takes longer to bitch about a post that you do not agree with then it does to just skip it.

Whiners gonna be whiners.

Self-awareness. That's a good start!

Apparently lots of a lack of,when somebody makes now their 3rd post on a topic,without actually discussing the topic at hand,outside of complaining about post lengths.

But it is everybody else at fault ….

^ I think that the consensus would say it is not everybody else's fault.

To quote Shakespeare... "the fault dear Brutus is not in our stars... but in ourselves..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast