Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Target coming to SoMa in Midtown

Finally, wow what a coincidence I literally drove from Detroit to Ann Arbor yesterday just to check out their Target in Downtown.

Rendering from today's Free Press... makes it look kind of tiny.
    Name:  soma-target.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  80.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Luckily it's nearly three times the size of the comically tiny Target in Ann Arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hopefully the grocery portion is no more than about 1/4-1/3 of the store.

Get rid of the 53% hiring rule if Detroiters are quitting their jobs at other places a week after being hired

needs to happen. needs to hire locally for construction jobs then permanent jobs. reach out to minority vendors for clothing and other goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    needs to happen. needs to hire locally for construction jobs then permanent jobs. reach out to minority vendors for clothing and other goods.
    You think there's a lot of Detroit construction workers out of work?

I think it is kinda cool with the whole large residential units using anchor commercial in the bottom units,it could go over in the burbs to phase out the strip mall concept.

I have a customer that just opened his 5th location of a healthy C - store style,all located in large residential high rises along with national brand gyms etc.

It seems to work well in bringing options to more dense inner cities,if one should shutter it would not create that look of abandonment like in a strip mall or mall.

Might be kind of hard to tell if the Target will be part of the first floor of the building similar to the Target in East Lansing or will it be separated. From previous renders it looks separated. Just trying to estimate potential opening dates.

For example Premier Pet Supply and the Statler Bistro are part of the first floor of the City Club Apartments in Downtown which broke ground in 2017 I think and have yet to open.

If the Target was separated from the apartments maybe we can see them finish the Target portion and open within a year like the Rivertown Market. Not sure if they are allowed to open like that before the apartments construction.

^ I did not expand the rendering the first time,but it does look like the Target is a wing off of the apartments,with additional commercial space underneath.

I am used to pricier downtown real estate and density,where something like that would have the Target,commercial spaces but double the residential and in the same footprint.

Unless that taller building behind it is also a part of it,but then the layout just looks weird,like an afterthought maybe?

Now here comes the tricky part of about real estate investment projects:

1. Is there going to be folks wanting to rent, lease or buy the property?

2. Is City Target is going to fulfill on their promise to building their marketplace?

3. Will be the toughen up security to keep the riff-raffs out?

4. Will another possible national or biological crisis the halt the project?

If these things happen, the project will be scrapped and head back to the drawing board.

This render was before Target made the official announcement, but it looks like retail part where Target goes is separated. There is also additional retail spaces on the bottom of some of the apartments as well.

Attachment 41777

Why wasn't Target on Woodward instead of off to the side on Mack where motorists and commuters traveling on Woodward won't see?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why wasn't Target on Woodward instead of off to the side on Mack where motorists and commuters traveling on Woodward won't see?
    Thankfully it’s not on Woodward. It’s visible enough traveling south on Woodward and one story retail on Woodward just shouldn’t be done. I doubt people won’t know Target is there. Doesn’t everyone know where the Whole Foods is on Mack?
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-29-21 at 10:15 AM.

Not sure if you're trolling, but the short answer is zoning. Single-story even with zero setback is likely not permitted/encourage on this part of Woodward. Woodward is a multi-modal street and building multi-story mixed-use is better use of the site. Cities should be built for people, not cars.

Look at how bad Model T Plaza is for pedestrians.
    Last edited by hybridy; October-29-21 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Not sure if you're trolling, but the short answer is zoning. Single-story even with zero setback is likely not permitted/encourage on this part of Woodward. Woodward is a multi-modal street and building multi-story mixed-use is better use of the site. Cities should be built for people, not cars.

Look at how bad Model T Plaza is for pedestrians.
    I think you know that comment wasn't intended as trolling. I agree it would be better on Woodward, on the ground floor of the apartments. It would be visible and encourage foot traffic on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think you know that comment wasn't intended as trolling. I agree it would be better on Woodward, on the ground floor of the apartments. It would be visible and encourage foot traffic on Woodward.
    Fenestration. A restaurant, bank and coffee shop as planned can all have fully glazed storefront vs Target/Meijer which may only be able to achieve 30-50% activated glazed façade due to their internal layout. There's little value looking at the back of a store display.

IMHO, the city and architect made the right call tucking the anchor around the corner.

Target recently opened a 15k 2-level store in Madison that's hella small.
    Last edited by hybridy; October-29-21 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post

Are you guys seeing the same render that I am?? It is clearly visible from Woodward with a Woodward fronting entrance...

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Are you guys seeing the same render that I am?? It is clearly visible from Woodward with a Woodward fronting entrance...
    I’d call it a Woodward facing, but not fronting, entrance since it will be behind the small plaza at the corner. But the store will certainly be visible from Woodward.

Does that make City Bar standing room only with only being 36” wide?

I wasn't trolling. Hybridy you must be part of the planning committee for the city to think that a common sense question was consider trolling. A store such as Target should be on a main drag or avenue for motorist or people riding on the Qline could see while commuting on Woodward. The parking could be at the rear of the store so that lower Woodward won't resemble the Model T Plaza a few miles north. The parking entrance could face Mack Avenue or have a Target marquee or sign on Woodward for all to see pointing to where Target is

I wasn't trolling. Hybridy you must be part of the planning committee for the city to think that a common sense question was consider trolling. A store such as Target should be on a main drag or avenue for motorist or people riding on the Qline could see while commuting on Woodward. The parking could be at the rear of the store so that lower Woodward won't resemble the Model T Plaza a few miles north. The parking entrance could face Mack Avenue or have a Target marquee or sign on Woodward for all to see pointing to where Target is
    I simply don't understand why you think the Target store will not be seen from Woodward. Question: can anyone spot the Target store in this rendering, which is from the vantage point of about the middle of Woodward? I can spot it! Isn't this a lot more visible from Woodward than Whole Foods is?

Name:  0d742b52-5283-45b8-b810-85157934b606-Midtown_Target.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  51.8 KB
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-30-21 at 06:26 PM.

Lol of course it is easy to spot if you are sitting in a drone,if you are in a car catching the green while going 40 mile an hour,will you see it?

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

It’s a rendering,not even in perspective,the people will not even fit in the cars and are walking in the plaza where it would be 3 abreast,according to that,you have 1/10 of a second to see it while driving by at speed.

Based in the rendering it is a valid question because we know renderings never match the final product.They can easily change the finial product.

Thats why I made the comment about the City Bar - commercial doors are 36” so according to the rendering the bar is only 36” wide,it’s just a snapshot of what it may look like,nobody can really argue against what anything may or may not be,yet,the reason is to get public input,.

Commercial property values and store lease rates are based on car count,where it is at in the rendering does not make sense as a anchor tenant because they are not being given the best visibility facing the street with the most exposure and highest car count.

Kinda like an afterthought,or maybe they gave them cheaper lease terms because they stuck them in the back.
    Last edited by Richard; October-30-21 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast