Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Construction on East Jefferson

What's going down on East Jefferson, Dickerson to Conner?

Two weeks ago they tore out and dug up the center lane, what was the turn lane. For the last 10 days not much has happened. Are they extending the landscaped medium that was installed from Alter Rd. to Chalmers, or so, that was done a few years back?

I think they're redoing the utilities. There will be a temporary road while they're doing this and then afterwards they'll rebuild the street.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/de...ordion-23526-1

The orange barrels persist and there's no one [workers] on site the times I was thru there this week? ------
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-24-21 at 10:46 AM.

Light rail tracks could be installed in that median for a Qline like train to go down Jefferson to Ashland

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Light rail tracks could be installed in that median for a Qline like train to go down Jefferson to Ashland

Sorry Bro', All those semis from the new trucking warehouse are going to need to be able to make a left turn onto Conner.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-24-21 at 10:33 AM.

^ Right on HT! I've worked in that area and YES, the car haulers are frequent and moving fast, with tight turns as it stands.

Most of the bike-lane markers have been long mowed over flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Right on HT! I've worked in that area and YES, the car haulers are frequent and moving fast, with tight turns as it stands.

Most of the bike-lane markers have been long mowed over flat!
    The car hauler I followed today was going about 20 mph for miles. And despite your claim, I'd say only about one to two percent of the bike lane markers are missing.

To the OP: they are replacing the water main. The entire avenue will be rebuilt in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The car hauler I followed today was going about 20 mph for miles. And despite your claim, I'd say only about one to two percent of the bike lane markers are missing.

To the OP: they are replacing the water main. The entire avenue will be rebuilt in a couple of years.

Thanks MikeM, I know. Those trucks have to get out of the warehouse somehow unless they grow wings. I don't want to argue, but take a ride up Conner, there are more than a couple of bike sticks missing, and they keep getting replaced.

^ Yes, mostly the ones at the corners. Where some are less careful - sometimes busting them down, turning too tight or driving along the too narrow paths!

I drove thru there this am - still dark and now it seems someone has pushed some of the wood and metal barrier fencings 'into' the one lane path of traffic! About six inches into the road. It was dodge it - dodge 'um for real.

Specifically at eastbound Jefferson at Conner east. You had to look sharp to dodge this or suffer a hard deep scrap along the side of your car. Good times.

It would be less irritating if there were workers, working? But lately [setting aside the rain days] there's only the barrels and barriers. I think I am going to avoid that intersection all together. It is what it is.

The two seasons of Michigan: winter and construction season!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-26-21 at 05:45 PM.

Would definitely be nice. But that would also require vision and an actual transit plan for expanding and making the Q Line and light rail useful, which we don't seem to have.

if you want to see a rail component to the Jefferson plan, I suggest writing the project manager – his email is on the last slide of the last community presentation pdf.

I wrote last week while they were soliciting feedback about bike lane designs, and also to urge them to consider rail lines, and he was pretty dismissive. said they did "a study" that found that rail installation would not increase total DDOT ridership on Jefferson, which is not only likely BS, but suggests they're only looking at raw ridership numbers and none of the actual civic, environmental, or social benefits of rail. so they need to hear from as many people as possible til they realize the current plan lacks ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Yes, mostly the ones at the corners. Where some are less careful - sometimes busting them down, turning too tight or driving along the too narrow paths!

I drove thru there this am - still dark and now it seems someone has pushed some of the wood and metal barrier fencings 'into' the one lane path of traffic! About six inches into the road. It was dodge it - dodge 'um for real.

Specifically at eastbound Jefferson at Conner east. You had to look sharp to dodge this or suffer a hard deep scrap along the side of your car. Good times.

It would be less irritating if there were workers, working? But lately [setting aside the rain days] there's only the barrels and barriers. I think I am going to avoid that intersection all together. It is what it is.

The two seasons of Michigan: winter and construction season!

Do what I do, Zacha341, drive in those bike paths. They're always empty anyway.

Noticed this morning - After two weeks of doing nothing, they are pushing the barrels in so that only the center turn lane is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oh, so you're that a$$hole?

I can't tell if this is serious or not...people do this all the time in this area, and as someone who actually uses the bike lanes, it...to put it mildly...displeases me.

Remember the little airplanes painted on the nose of ace fighter aircraft?

I DO not HT LOL [I cycle myself - thought only for exercise not transpo) thank goodness lest I suffer the horrors of 'name' caller upstream on these threads. Must all conversations devolve so......?

One of the reasons my postings have decreased here. In addition to returning back to work on-site and attempting increase to my time in other areas [personal writing, my exercise time, etc].

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-30-21 at 02:15 PM.

Whomever were given the contract for paving Jefferson get paid twice for the job. The first time is the temporarily paving and the second time is the developing of the final streetscape. It appear that someone is looking out for a particular paving contractor

The bike lanes are dangerous blind spots especially at night for cars that are making right turns down side streets from Jefferson. The bike lanes should be redesigned

^ There's no amount of money that would find me cycling for 'transpo' in the city. There are too many crazed, speed mania folk driving obvious to anyone/ thing/ cyclist outside their inner console. I'm not 'anti' car [love the option of driving] but I 'see' how SOME drive!

When I DO cycle for exercise [mostly WSU/ Matthaei Field lots and sidewalks area], or Palmer Park I wear a reflective yellow vest. And never-ever at night. I see drivers violating bike lanes often.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-30-21 at 02:22 PM.

That figures and is not surprising.

Whomever were given the contract for paving Jefferson get paid twice for the job. The first time is the temporarily paving and the second time is the developing of the final streetscape. It appear that someone is looking out for a particular paving contractor

Is this just a guess? Or a known fact?