Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Make / Model / Year of Automobile?

Trying to pin down the year this picture was taken of my uncle and grandmother. I'm guessing late 1940's. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ask him if he can move his arm so we can see the slope of the back of the car.

46-47 Ford Super is my guess based on the body Crome on the fender and doors.

Is that a Zoot Suit?

Good call Richard.

Yeah, probably an early 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe

The side molding went from having a deep pair of grooves in 1942-1946, to being fairly smooth for 1947, with just a bit of a peak to the upper one.

And mid '47, the hubcaps went from this stepped design, to a smooth half moon.

This seeming to have the smoother trim of a '47, but the older style hubcaps, which leads me to think it's an early '47.

Those wide whitewall tires came out at the end of the war, and were mostly out of fashion by the early '50's.

The grill would clinch it. Most of the model year changes were to the front grill.

https://cdn2.mecum.com/auctions/ch10...?1253009613000
    Last edited by Rocket; October-15-21 at 04:14 PM.

No, Zoot suits had long jackets, pants that were tight at waist and ankle and baggy otherwise. Often worn with a long watch and chain. All very exagerated

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Is that a Zoot Suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Good call Richard.

Yeah, probably an early 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe

The side molding went from having a deep pair of grooves in 1942-1946, to being fairly smooth for 1947, with just a bit of a peak to the upper one.

And mid '47, the hubcaps went from this stepped design, to a smooth half moon.

This seeming to have the smoother trim of a '47, but the older style hubcaps, which leads me to think it's an early '47.

Those wide whitewall tires came out at the end of the war, and were mostly out of fashion by the early '50's.

The grill would clinch it. Most of the model year changes were to the front grill.

https://cdn2.mecum.com/auctions/ch10...?1253009613000

Did it have EV capabilities?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-15-21 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    No, Zoot suits had long jackets, pants that were tight at waist and ankle and baggy otherwise. Often worn with a long watch and chain. All very exagerated.
    OP's photo shows a double-breasted suit less extravagant than what David Letterman wore every night for at least two decades, pinstriped. For a long time it signaled conservatism, when "traditional values" were still its core. As fashion it was never good taste, at least in my opinion.

Dressing up for a photo in front of your car sure was a thing.
    Last edited by bust; October-15-21 at 08:00 PM.

Would have been nice if a picture of the front of the car was taken to see the grille. Hard to tell by that view.

Does anyone have access to software that would enlarge and clean up the rear hubcap? The manufacturers logo should be on it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-16-21 at 03:27 PM.

Looks like a big S but really hard to tellName:  wheel.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  13.4 KB

Sorry jcole, I left out part of my thought when I posted. I've corrected it since. I was thinking maybe Dodge or Hudson, but I looked at photos of models from those years, and it does looks like Ford is the one that has a chrome stripe on each fender, and one running the length of the body above. The Chow looks happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    OP's photo shows a double-breasted suit less extravagant than what David Letterman wore every night for at least two decades, pinstriped. For a long time it signaled conservatism, when "traditional values" were still its core. As fashion it was never good taste, at least in my opinion.
    Yes, during the socially conservative decade ranging from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, the retro-inspired cuffed pleated pant, baggy double-breasted suit was de rigueur, typically accompanied by tassled loafers----as seen here in a period-costumed DiCaprio. Unfortunately, along with Letterman, I have to plead guilty in participating in this one <cringe>, as I agree with you . .it's not a flattering look.

Name:  Wolf of WS.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  98.1 KB
    Last edited by Onthe405; October-18-21 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Yes, during the socially conservative decade ranging from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, the retro-inspired cuffed pleated pant, baggy double-breasted suit was de rigueur, typically accompanied by tassled loafers----as seen here in a period-costumed DiCaprio. Unfortunately, along with Letterman, I have to plead guilty in participating in this one <cringe>, as I agree with you . .it's not a flattering look.

Name:  Wolf of WS.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  98.1 KB
    Because the fad of paying $200 for a pair of ripped up jeans is so much better lol

Maybe that is why he has he fist clenched,looking for the person that made him wear it.

Last time I was in court 3/4 of the lawyers were not wearing a suit,go to a funeral and people are there in shorts,t shirts and flip flops,as bad as that may look it looks a lot better then what the majority of the population wears,let alone people going grocery shopping in their pajamas.

Go to poor countries like in South America,people will not go out in public without being dressed to the 9s.

The car in the picture is Indicative of the times when people did not have much extra money,replacement tire on the back is a black wall and not matching the front wide white wall,they may have lost a hub cap and replaced it with one that fit.

People had a tendency to dress up for photo shoots,it was not common,but it was common to wear a suit out in public,even in the photos of people in the parks from back then they were in their suits.

Notice the crisp line of the pant legs in the ops picture verses the one of Leanardo,that crisp line represented a level of pride in suit wearing.

He has that mobster stance,hand in the pocket so people think you have a gun,I am sure not intentionally though.

Maybe off topic but when we see photos like that in the time frame and even the videos of vibrant cities in the 40s and 50s when we were at our prime,up to and even past 1954 Europe was still in ruins with gas and food rationing.
    Last edited by Richard; October-19-21 at 01:19 AM.

Of course, here on what has degenerated from DetroitYes to Richard's Forum, Richard cannot refrain from sharing his expert opinion on everyone & everything on every single thread. In this case, Richard responds with a social commentary about how sloppily people dress today---as if fashion is a binary choice between formally-dressed & overly-casual. It's not.

My simple point was that many of us welcome a return to the clean line, slim cut suits common in the 1960s [[see Dick Van Dyke Show & JFK) rather than the shoulder padded, wide-lapeled, oversized baggy look of the 40s & 80s. IMO, it's a more flattering look for men.

Name:  slim-fit-suits-guide.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  185.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Of course, here on what has degenerated from DetroitYes to Richard's Forum, Richard cannot refrain from sharing his expert opinion on everyone & everything on every single thread. In this case, Richard responds with a social commentary about how sloppily people dress today---as if fashion is a binary choice between formally-dressed & overly-casual. It's not.

My simple point was that many of us welcome a return to the clean line, slim cut suits common in the 1960s [[see Dick Van Dyke Show & JFK) rather than the shoulder padded, wide-lapeled, oversized baggy look of the 40s & 80s. IMO, it's a more flattering look for men.

Name:  slim-fit-suits-guide.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  185.4 KB
    Well you know what they say about opinions.

Nobody stopped you from posting yours,so why would you have an issue when others post?

It is a discussion forum after all and you may have a narrative when you single out one person.

I think your post sucks and has zero to do with identifying the vehicle,which leaves me two options,stroll on by or whine about it.

You have to be blind not to see the difference in attire during the decades and see the difference in today’s society.

Seems Kinda silly and petty to debate a suit,but some look for things like that .

I guess one could classify wearing ones pajamas while grocery shopping or overly weight women wearing half of a shirt in public as overly casual.

But sense it has zero to do with the original topic and nobody is alive from back then it is not really relevant is it?
    Last edited by Richard; October-19-21 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Looks like a big S but really hard to tell
    I think it may be this hubcap, which was used on '46 & '47 Fords:

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did it have EV capabilities?

Only if you hopped in the back seat at a drive-in with “Evie”.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Only if you hopped in the back seat at a drive-in with “Evie”.

Nice...

PC correct now,it could also be Stevie.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    PC correct now,it could also be Stevie.
    Whatever pleases you, Ricardo!