Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Charges Filed 8 Years After Northland Incident

4 Charged in Death of Man at Detroit-Area Mall in 2014

Oct. 13, 2021, at 1:28 p.m.
    U.S. News & World Report

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. [[AP) — Four people were charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, nearly eight years after the death of a Black man who was pinned to the floor by security guards at a Detroit-area shopping mall.

The Michigan attorney general’s office reopened the case in 2020.

McKenzie Cochran, 25, struggled with guards and was hit with pepper spray at Northland Mall in Southfield in 2014. Authorities said the man died of compression asphyxiation.

Witnesses said Cochran could be heard saying, “I’m not resisting — I can’t breathe.”

The Oakland County prosecutor at that time said the guards were poorly trained but had no intent to harm Cochran. Jessica Cooper said she had consulted experts, including the U.S. Justice Department, and declined to file charges.

The four men were scheduled to appear in court Wednesday afternoon. Attorney General Dana Nessel said she would discuss the case at a news conference Thursday.

The mall closed in 2015.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...a-mall-in-2014

I don’t know anything more about this incident except what is in the post so take that into account. Like we don’t have enough people in prison, so we’re gonna’ add 4 more. Will all of us be any safer if we put these guys away? It sounds like an accident. Again, just based on what is written here.

Isn't there a statute of limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Isn't there a statute of limitations?

It would have with "Wrongful Death".

But Manslaughter is 10 years,

and murder has no limit.

So they're going to have to try to make Manslaughter at least.

Sounds like a wrongful death case to me though. I remember this case, at least the news version of it. I think there was video too.
    Last edited by Rocket; October-14-21 at 10:21 AM.