Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default First Music Soiree at former Michigan Theatre in 45 years!

This one must have gone under the radar, because I'm sure some DYESers would have gone there...

On Saturday September 25, 2021, Michigan Opera Theatre held a special repeating Opera event, but not at the Detroit Opera House. Instead an event called BLISS was staged on the 3rd [top] parking level inside the former Michigan Theatre on Bagley Ave.

This was the first musical event held within what is now the shell of the former theatre in over 45 years. There hasn't been music [except for Eminem's 8 MILE rapper scene back in 2000] in the Michigan since the 1974-76 Michigan Palace era before the unthinkable event of the gutting of the former 4050 seat movie palace starting in March 1977.

The BLISS event was a 12 hour repetition of the finale of Mozart's MARRIAGE OF FIGARO opera, a repeat of an event that was previously done in NYC in 2011 and Los Angeles in 2019.

One would think that the free event would be monotonous and boring, but one Opera reviewer didn't think so. This was free to the public, and there was a continuous coming and going of people watching the operatic and symphonic performance over the 12 hour event.

https://van-magazine.com/mag/ragnar-kjartansson-bliss/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The 3rd level of the Michigan Theatre parking deck has been closed for a few years to vehicles. It would be wonderful to have other performances in this magnificent space, the largest interior ruin in any American city.

In many cities around the Mediterranean, old Greek and Roman ruined theatres and arenas are finding new uses [such as Pula Roman Amphitheatre, Taormina Greek Theatre, etc.], why not the Michigan?
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-21 at 04:03 PM.

I am glad you mentioned when Three One Third rap battled Free World here in 2002... A music soirée in it's own right.

What’s next Steve Glanz productions? I’d love to see three big names for five bucks again!��

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    What’s next Steve Glanz productions? I’d love to see three big names for five bucks again!��
    There were a lot of Steve Glantz concerts there when it was called the Michigan Palace in 1974-75, back before they gutted the theatre.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-21 at 06:06 PM.

Couldn't make this event but heard from a friend who is a classical musician and art historian that this event "Bliss" was absolutely one of the best musical experiences she's attended in recent years!

And I agree that this would be a magnificent setting for musical performances! Would love to attend!!

Would it even be possible to bring this theatre back?

Hmm... I dunno... I parked my car there for a few year and chunks of the ceiling falling were frequently evident. I always kept a half eye on the ceiling, both for its magnificence and for its threat. If it was dodgy then, I can't imagine what it must be like now with another three or four years of leaky roof and time. Unless massive remediation has been done since, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

After Kefallinos bought the building, he began preparing the theater as a venue, clearing the balcony and the grand stairway leading to it, and building fencing at its edge. The first event was to be the aforementioned screening of 8 Mile but was cancelled at the last minute. Reparations halted and nothing further happened while I was there for another two years. My understanding [I have no substantiation] was that the fire marshal got wind of event.

Who knows, perhaps the MOT bought insurance and signed a hold blameless agreement with Kefallinos, as did movie companies and ad agencies who used it under the previous owner.

In any case the event looked spectacular [wish I could have seen it] and nobody got hurt, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hmm... I dunno... I parked my car there for a few year and chunks of the ceiling falling were frequently evident.

A whole new meaning to a drop ceiling.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-13-21 at 02:18 PM.

It's about time. Let's do the soiree again. Downtown Detroit once theater and movie palaces needs some real operas and broadways.
    Last edited by Danny; October-13-21 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hmm... I dunno... I parked my car there for a few year and chunks of the ceiling falling were frequently evident. I always kept a half eye on the ceiling, both for its magnificence and for its threat. If it was dodgy then, I can't imagine what it must be like now with another three or four years of leaky roof and time. Unless massive remediation has been done since, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

After Kefallinos bought the building, he began preparing the theater as a venue, clearing the balcony and the grand stairway leading to it, and building fencing at its edge. The first event was to be the aforementioned screening of 8 Mile but was cancelled at the last minute. Reparations halted and nothing further happened while I was there for another two years. My understanding [I have no substantiation] was that the fire marshal got wind of event.

Who knows, perhaps the MOT bought insurance and signed a hold blameless agreement with Kefallinos, as did movie companies and ad agencies who used it under the previous owner.

In any case the event looked spectacular [wish I could have seen it] and nobody got hurt, but...

That slumlord can't even fix the factory on W. Fort St. and Junction St.

Lowell, was there rain coming thru the roof on the parking structure area? I remember a rainy day 8 years ago Tony letting me into the closed off sections of the theatre, and there was no water coming in thru the roof of the theatre section, but it was poring in where the theatre portion connects to the closed off stairways/foyers [where the entrance was to the closed off sections]. I thought to myself "oh this can't be good for the long term viability of the building". But I never saw any water on the parking deck.

Tony also took me once down into the basement areas... and said that there is a sump pump always running in the sub-basement. I have many photographs of the surviving parts of the old theatre, which I would never post as long as Tony owned the building... I never wanted anyone with the city seeing them, since he didn't have a good relationship with them... for litigious reasons.

Maybe I can dig up those old photos and post them here on this thread. It is amazing how much of the old theatre circulation space and substructure is still intact.