Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Agressive Panhandlers are back in Downtown Detroit

I had notice over the past couple of weeks that aggressive panhandlers had returned to Merchant's Row on Woodward. Not only on Woodward but the Capitol Park area as well. What had happened to Gilbert's security that had kept these panhandlers at bay? What happened to the police presence that had usually scared these people away

Is this a sign the pandemic is over, meaning there are people to panhandle again, or are the guards afraid getting infected? Or both?

Just say no, walk away and grow a pair. They’re harmless, annoying, but harmless

^ one would think it would be complicated if one is a female,to “grow a pair” . Maybe another form of suggestion?

Annoying and harmless can go from 0-60 in less then a second to harmful and some are easily intimidated so it is understandable it could be a concern.
    Last edited by Richard; October-09-21 at 02:22 PM.

We used to have red-light districts, where pan-handling, dealing, hooking etc were overlooked. Leaving the shopping districts safe for housewives to go into. And officers wouldn't take everyone to jail, instead they gave then "A ride". Not as nice, but it left the perp with a clean record, so they could have a future if they wanted, and it also kept prison costs down.

I believe it was Mayor Young that got rid of that, so now most of Detroit is a red light district.

When did they ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Just say no, walk away and grow a pair. They’re harmless, annoying, but harmless
    The key word you've ignored is 'aggressive'. Why should people have to be at risk around 'aggressive' people.

[[On the positive side, Detroit is looking more like San Francisco!)

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    When did they ever leave?
    Yeah I feel like it got worse during the pandemic.

A person sitting on the sidewalk with a sign asking passerbyers may be annoying but one could keep walking. When panhandlers follow you, jump in your path, calling you names when you ignore them, even walking up to your table when you are enjoying an outdoor meal is a nuisance and can go from 0 to 60 in seconds. I am one who don't turn my nose up at someone in need. However, there are soup kitchens, churches, and food pantries near downtown that I contributed to and there to help. I had seen a few of them get into a car at the end of the day and driven away.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I've found "No thank you" works really well. It's polite and shows respect. I've only had one person get angry in 10 years with "No thank you".

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    We used to have red-light districts, where pan-handling, dealing, hooking etc were overlooked. Leaving the shopping districts safe for housewives to go into. And officers wouldn't take everyone to jail, instead they gave then "A ride". Not as nice, but it left the perp with a clean record, so they could have a future if they wanted, and it also kept prison costs down.

I believe it was Mayor Young that got rid of that, so now most of Detroit is a red light district.
    Look for the silver lining,now that there is free flowing weed an ample red light district,Detroit can be the Amsterdam of the west.

I find the aggressiveness levels tend to vary depending on who they corner up. If they can guilt trip some, then lean in deluxe to get the money they will. I just say 'hello' and keep it moving.

I find it incredulous that beggers would expect me, a woman to stop at a moments notice - diggin' thru a purse for money. I'm not going to do that.

Once in a while I give money once done shopping on my way out - where I have the money in my hand, handy.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had notice over the past couple of weeks that aggressive panhandlers had returned to Merchant's Row on Woodward...

Whatever those panhandlers do with their money is up to them. But Jesus remind us to give to the needy from your heart. It's your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I find the aggressiveness levels tend to vary depending on who they corner up.
    When my now-wife, then-girlfriend and I were going to WSU, I was following her to her car one afternoon. She was about 15 feet ahead of me, hustling to get to work. She walked around the blind corner at Warren and Woodward [[IIRC Z's was there) and was accosted by a panhandler. It was an inch away from being sexual assault, the guy was that close. I heard the guy yelling at her, ran around the corner looking pissed, and the guy immediately took off across Woodward, almost getting hit by a bus in the process.

I spend last weekend in Chicago and much to my surprise there were very few panhandlers it made downtown area much more enjoyable.
    There were a few but the ones I walked past were holding signs and not verbally asking for money I also noticed many homeless deterrents all benches and places to lay down were set up to make it almost impossible to lay down anywhere
    Last edited by ddaydetroit; October-10-21 at 01:22 PM.

It's only ever happened to me once, where I ran into an aggressive panhandler... so I just started talking to them in German, and it kind of stopped them in their tracks.

I’ve also only had this happen once. I was walking by Cadillac Tower and the guy wouldn’t accept no for an answer. I went into Cadillac Tower’s lobby and he didn’t bother to follow me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's only ever happened to me once, where I ran into an aggressive panhandler... so I just started talking to them in German, and it kind of stopped them in their tracks.
    I did the same thing using sign language...

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I spend last weekend in Chicago and much to my surprise there were very few panhandlers it made downtown area much more enjoyable.
    Uhh what? As somebody who's visited Chicago many times, they have tons and tons of panhandlers downtown. WAY more than downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Uhh what? As somebody who's visited Chicago many times, they have tons and tons of panhandlers downtown. WAY more than downtown Detroit.
    I don't know if they cracked down on panhandling or what but there were so few it surprised me.

The security downtown did Crack down on it drastically in the past few years. However for the past few weeks the security had not been in the downtown area or hasn't been spotted. The regular panhandle were no problem. I had even given to a couple of them. Someone had used scriptures on this thread about given. There are soup kitchens and food pantries around the downtown area that people contribute to. That's what you also call giving to those in need.

Yes, what turns out as a request for money can go LEFT fast. I had an obviously drugged woman pan handling me at the gas station. When I declined she then tried to jump into my passenger seat. Only my fast-motion jumping into the driver seat and auto-locking all doors stopped her.

I'm supportive of those in need and donate to a few organizations as I can, but I cannot risk dealing with strangers where things can bow crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    ...I heard the guy yelling at her, ran around the corner looking pissed, and the guy immediately took off across Woodward, almost getting hit by a bus in the process.

Think of it this way. Panhandlers are, in essence, performance artists, buskers of sorts. If we donate we pay for their act. Some have great pathetic acts that can make them thousands--think the guy with no legs. Others try, shall we say, the hard sell and that works too--we pay to be rid of their act. If they allow/ban buskers, don't they also have to allow/ban panhandlers. Or as the timeless question goes, what it is art?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The security downtown did Crack down on it drastically in the past few years. However for the past few weeks the security had not been in the downtown area or hasn't been spotted. The regular panhandle were no problem. I had even given to a couple of them. Someone had used scriptures on this thread about given. There are soup kitchens and food pantries around the downtown area that people contribute to. That's what you also call giving to those in need.
    I donate regularly to Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries on Seward near Woodward, they do great work.

I had a woman follow me for a block when I was going to my parked vehicle after a trip to Eastern Market awhile ago. She decided to put her body between my car & me essentially blocking me from getting in my vehicle. My husband broke down & gave her 2 dollars which got her to leave.

I tried the speaking a foreign language trick to. It didn't work as readily as it did for Gistok. I still got followed in this parking lot rambling Polish while a woman followed me around until I got in my car.

Panhandlers are all over not just downtown. I've had several instances where I've been accosted in parking lots in Dearborn [[not Fairlane). Lots of them stand on intersections in Dearborn/Downriver these days. One works the corner of Southfield & Outer Drive on the Allen Park border holding a doll trying to convince you it's an actual baby. You can't always tell who truly is in need and who's playing a game. You have to make a judgement call & hope there are no repercussions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast