Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default R.I.P. Miller's Bar in Dearborn

It's up for sale, but almost certainly will never be the same under new ownership. New owners almost inevitably screw things up.

At the $4-million asking price. . . ...best of luck to whoever takes the risk.

Unlikely that they'll get that money for the bar and if they do, some company will replace it with something.

Overpriced and a bit overrated burgers, I can find other good burgers in the area, but it's a spot that my grandfather loved. We'd go there all the time when I was younger with him, before he couldn't drive or travel much. I have many good memories with him there.

Let's not bury it yet.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Unlikely that they'll get that money for the bar and if they do, some company will replace it with something.

Overpriced and a bit overrated burgers, I can find other good burgers in the area, but it's a spot that my grandfather loved. We'd go there all the time when I was younger with him, before he couldn't drive or travel much. I have many good memories with him there.

A bit? They're cookie-cutter, bulk packed, frozen hamburgers. Probably from Costco or Dearborn Snausage. I haven't been there in a few years now, but last time I went with a friend, "who'd heard so much about it", 2 burgers, a basket of onion rings, and 2 bottled waters, ran $25 with tip. Ridiculous for that quality of food. No plates, no eating utensils, they set your order in front of you on a piece of paper. The place does have a unique atmosphere.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-06-21 at 04:02 AM.

Adieu Miller's Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ... 2 burgers, a basket of onion rings, and 2 bottled waters, ran $25 with tip. Ridiculous for that quality of food. No plates, no eating utensils, they set your order in front of you on a piece of paper.
    So, better than McDonald's and less expensive! And with atmosphere.

A bit? They're cookie-cutter, bulk packed, frozen hamburgers. Probably from Costco or Dearborn Snausage. I haven't been there in a few years now, but last time I went with a friend, "who'd heard so much about it", 2 burgers, a basket of onion rings, and 2 bottled waters, ran $25 with tip. Ridiculous for that quality of food. No plates, no eating utensils, they set your order in front of you on a piece of paper. The place does have a unique atmosphere.
    $12.50 a person for a meal seems reasonable to me. Do you eat out much?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    $12.50 a person for a meal seems reasonable to me. Do you eat out much?

I guess I'm not getting my point across because it looks like we're heading into another poop flinging. Zell's Corner is currently my favorite burger stop. For the same amount of money, you get a thick, juicy open grilled burger, sautéed onions, grilled bun, and fries. Famous Burger in Dearborn is also very good. [IMO] Miller's used to be good years ago, but other than having a loyal, die hard, watering-hole, clientele, the burgers, especially for the price, are nothing to write home about. If they meet your criteria for good, bon appetite.

The burgers are NOT bulk frozen. Ground fresh onsite daily and cooked to perfection on an aged well seasoned flat top. BTW you need "eating utensils" to eat a friggin hamburger and fries???

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The burgers are NOT bulk frozen. Ground fresh onsite daily and cooked to perfection on an aged well seasoned flat top. BTW you need "eating utensils" to eat a friggin hamburger and fries???

Some kind of plate instead of a piece of paper would be nice.

I’ve never been to Miller’s but I am planning to try before it’s too late. I have found that bar hamburgers generally are priced anywhere from 10.00 to 14.00 dollars these days just about anywhere you go.

Actually I ate at TellWay today, but I had a fish sandwich. It was nothing to write home about, price was right though. Shoulda had a couple or 3 burgers.
    Last edited by softailrider; October-06-21 at 01:45 PM.

Went to Miller's once; burger was good but not "golly gee-whiz I've never had a better burger"good. Service was rushed and not friendly at all. I don't mind a burger and fries in a basket but served on a sheet of paper? Meh. At least put my fries IN something. Never went back and haven't missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    That number implies a huge seven figure gross for the business even after you back out a big number for the real estate. Buyer should want some audited P&Ls. Not something usually available for a bar.

especially when the bar only does a cash business

Miller's is in my neck of the woods. I've popped in every so often over the last 30+ years, so I guess it qualifies as my neighborhood bar. I agree, the burgers are tasty but probably over-rated. Held a few "editorial meetings" with editors and producers there over the years. In fact, now that I think back on it, that's the last time I saw Steve Wilke from Hour Detroit. Anyway, the casual service [[hey, who needs a plate?), honor system, and regular faces have always made it a comfortable space. As I understand it, the $4 million price tag includes adjacent building [[houses some kind of business) and second-story apartments [[think there's four) as well as liquor license. Don't know what that all adds up to for potential buyers. The bar's been around since Pearl Harbor was bombed, but who knows what the future holds. The west side of Dearborn continues to change.

Wow, I mean you don't have to be rude about it.

Miller’s was closed for remodeling a few years back and when I went back afterwards it looked worse to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Sounds like someone is going fishing, trying to use a semi-well-known name as bait. May be sitting in that boat a good long while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Miller’s was closed for remodeling a few years back and when I went back afterwards it looked worse to me.
    I hope they didn't use the geniuses who remodeled the DIA'S Kresge Court.