Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Coe Developement [Phase 2]

This recently was put on the HDC Agenda for mid-october and now Crain's is reporting on it. The Coe development is a 12 unit building at Coe and Van Dyke that was completed a few years back. Now the same developer is proposing a 58 unit building across Coe to the north, along with the demolition of 2 homes.

Here is the full plan submitted to the HDC.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  78.7 KB

Crain's Article

The second phase would be substantially larger than the 12-unit first phase, with 16 studio apartments and 37 one-bedroom units in one building and five for-sale townhouse units in a second building for a total of 58 residences at the corner of Van Dyke Avenue and Coe Street in Detroit's West Village neighborhood, according to documents submitted to the Historic District Commission.

Fantastic infill development. They just completed a huge mixed used apartment building on Kercheval, this is shaping up to be a very urban and walkable neighborhood.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; October-05-21 at 11:32 AM.

The two houses that would be lost appear to be pretty nondescript, which is good. I hate to see houses being torn down normally. Seems like a population boom in West Village! I sure loved living on Parker years ago but there’s so much more going on these days.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-05-21 at 09:26 PM.

Yeah, these are the homes. Nothing really special.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.356298,-82.9984249,3a,75y,57.02h,92.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSwBvxwYLN2Gic76a3b6_KQ!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192

The beautiful duplex on the left will stay.

So "They" as in the gentrification folks will or already had demolish three 100 year old wood frame homes for the Jetson-esque condos!

There goes the hood.

West Village is the furthest thing from the hood lol it's been pretty bougie and gentrified for a long time now. Can't gentrify a place that's already full of white wealthy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    West Village is the furthest thing from you the hood lol it's been pretty bougie and gentrified for a long time now. Can't gentrify a place that's already full of white wealthy people.
    And WV never experienced serious decline. Some housing was lost and some became shabby, but by and large it remained pretty intact.

I wish they would keep the same amount of floors as the Coe. The development seems too large in terms of its relationship to the surrounding structures. The Parkstone and Parkhurst are huge apartments in the area so this new one will just take some time to get used to.

Fantastic infill development. They just completed a huge mixed used apartment building on Kercheval, this is shaping up to be a very urban and walkable neighborhood.
    Any plans for what will go in the storefronts of the development on Kercheval?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Any plans for what will go in the storefronts of the development on Kercheval?
    I don't know what retail will be there. But it looks so good, totally changes the vibe of Kercheval. It's crazy how just some infill development and some streetscape redesign can completely change the commercial corridors in Detroit. We could easily do much more of this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3583...7i16384!8i8192

West Village is the furthest thing from the hood lol it's been pretty bougie and gentrified for a long time now. Can't gentrify a place that's already full of white wealthy people.
    It's the furthest thing from the hood? It's not the hood, but it's a peninsula within the hood. So it isn't "the furthest thing from the hood." And to those who know, that pretty much sums up safe v. dangerous Detroit neighborhoods, by the way.

I don't know what retail will be there. But it looks so good, totally changes the vibe of Kercheval. It's crazy how just some infill development and some streetscape redesign can completely change the commercial corridors in Detroit. We could easily do much more of this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3583...7i16384!8i8192
    The Kercheval project has turned out better than I expected. I like the colors of the brick and the detail along the roofline. The latter is a small design element that I think makes the structure look much better.

I see from your link that the long-vacant structure on the corner across Kercheval is also finally being rehabbed. Any word on what for?

Yeah its too imposing for me onto Van Dyke. 3 floors would be much better than 4.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I wish they would keep the same amount of floors as the Coe. The development seems too large in terms of its relationship to the surrounding structures. The Parkstone and Parkhurst are huge apartments in the area so this new one will just take some time to get used to.

Not entirely, but its getting there. I'd guess still about a third black. The attractiveness has been the mix, but the more expensive it gets the less you have everyone living there.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Yeah its too imposing for me onto Van Dyke. 3 floors would be much better than 4.

You have two 7+ story buildings about a block away on Agnes and Parker, so I don't think it's too imposing.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    You have two 7+ story buildings about a block away on Agnes and Parker, so I don't think it's too imposing.

Yeah, there are multiple high-rises in West Village. There's nothing wrong with the height.

There’s plenty of four story buildings within blocks too. Not a big deal. Density is generally a good thing.

An excellent project for West Village. Phase I was well done. This kind of modest density can support and encourage even more sorely needed retail and restaurant development in the area. Minor armchair quibble: those sidewalk-level 1BRs with the 1970s style narrow windows present an unattractive face to Van Dyke and will folks really pay upper end market rent for units with such a lack of privacy and light?

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    There’s plenty of four story buildings within blocks too. Not a big deal. Density is generally a good thing.
    There is a 4-5 story building basically right across the street from the new one!

Multifamily is the way to go. I would have rather seen development like this in the North End, close to where I live, rather than the strange looking single family homes they chose for infill.

Streetscaping is an ABSOLUTLY essential piece of brining a neighborhood back to life. I clicked back to what this intersection looked like before the bike lanes and street trees were planted... Not somewhere anyone would want to be...

There's a good use of stimulus money, give people something to be proud of and watch the change in attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    There is a 4-5 story building basically right across the street from the new one!

Multifamily is the way to go. I would have rather seen development like this in the North End, close to where I live, rather than the strange looking single family homes they chose for infill.

Unfortunately the North End is full of NIMBYs, they fight tooth and nail to stop 4-5 story development. There are multiple proposals with financing right now that they're trying to kill. It's really ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The Kercheval project has turned out better than I expected. I like the colors of the brick and the detail along the roofline. The latter is a small design element that I think makes the structure look much better.

I see from your link that the long-vacant structure on the corner across Kercheval is also finally being rehabbed. Any word on what for?
    https://m.facebook.com/gabrielhalldetroit/

http://www.gabrielhalldet.com/

This project is on the agenda for the March 9 Historic District Commission Meeting and the NIMBY crowd is mobilizing. Should be an interesting meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This project is on the agenda for the March 9 Historic District Commission Meeting and the NIMBY crowd is mobilizing. Should be an interesting meeting.
    What are their grievances? I'm really not sure what their opposition would be.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    What are their grievances? I'm really not sure what their opposition would be.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4127...0330206754083/

Looks like the OP there wasn't getting the kind of response she wanted and had to turn off the comments. I'm sure the vocal minority will show up though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast