Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Leon Spinks dies

Leon Spinks who beat Muhammad Ali once passes away at 67 from cancer.

Apparently 8 months ago:

Leon Spinks [July 11, 1953 - February 5, 2021]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Spinks

We had a thread about it in February.

Prostate cancer got him. Get those yearly checkups, it's preventable if caught early.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-07-21 at 06:03 AM.

R.I.P.

I remember when a hooker stole his gold teeth in a motel near 8 Mile and Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    R.I.P.

I remember when a hooker stole his gold teeth in a motel near 8 Mile and Woodward.
    Were you there?

Not good for the city's image either way.

So instead of spendin' money on light rail, I vote we get some higher quality hookers for 8-mile.

A guy shouldn't have to worry about herpes, Aids, AND gettin' his teeth stole.

But on a more serious note,.. R.I.P. Leon.
    Last edited by Rocket; October-08-21 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    ... I vote we get some higher quality hookers for 8-mile.

A guy shouldn't have to worry about herpes, Aids, AND gettin' his teeth stole.
    Roger that. I'm trying to keep my natural teeth at least until your proposal has been implemented. Who knows? After that I may get a grill.

Spears Bar on Woodward is where he supposedly met the darling young lady who rolled him. I think I remember he took her to the Eight Wood Motel for some fun. He must have been pretty drunk or stoned that night.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    We had a thread about it in February.
    Apparently Ray is still getting his news via Pony Express.

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Apparently Ray is still getting his news via Pony Express.
    Are you gonna tell him about Pearl Harbor, or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    Are you gonna tell him about Pearl Harbor, or should I?
    Something happened with Pearl? Is she okay????

While we’re talking about boxing, Mike Tyson - 'Iron Mike' is coming to Detroit with his one man show: “Over the past four years, Tyson has been touring nationally and internationally with his critically acclaimed one-man show, “Mike Tyson: UNDISPUTED TRUTH,” which also aired as a premium cable special. After a successful run at the MGM Grand’s Hollywood Theater in Las Vegas, Mike is taking his show on-the-road.” The world’s most illustrious heavyweight boxing champion, live at MGM Grand Detroit May 28, 2022 8:00 PM. Better get one, going fast!!!

Name:  iron [[2).jpg
Views: 237
Size:  107.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    While we’re talking about boxing, Mike Tyson - 'Iron Mike' is coming to Detroit with his one man show: “Over the past four years, Tyson has been touring nationally and internationally with his critically acclaimed one-man show, “Mike Tyson: UNDISPUTED TRUTH,” which also aired as a premium cable special. After a successful run at the MGM Grand’s Hollywood Theater in Las Vegas, Mike is taking his show on-the-road.” The world’s most illustrious heavyweight boxing champion, live at MGM Grand Detroit May 28, 2022 8:00 PM. Better get one, going fast!!!

Name:  iron [[2).jpg
Views: 237
Size:  107.6 KB
    Ray's already bought his ticket. He thinks Joe Louis is wrestling Primo Carnera on the undercard.

From a Detroit Free Press article back in February:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2...na/4425914001/

Spinks, a Marine from St. Louis with missing front teeth, won a gold medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics and the heavyweight title from Muhammad Ali in 1978 in his eighth pro fight. He then moved to a $75,000 split-level home in Detroit’s Rosedale Park with his wife. By year’s end, he had lost a rematch with Ali. In his adopted home, Spinks became best known for hanging out at the Last Chance Bar, a bizarre mugging in 1981 and missing choppers.
    In January 1981, Spinks told police that he was robbed of a full-length blue fox coat, jewelry and a dental plate with four upper teeth — a $45,000 loss. He told police that an unseen attacker struck him on his head about 11:30 p.m. while he was leaving Spears Bar on Woodward near Six Mile. Spinks said he was naked in the Crestwood Motor Hotel five miles away when he regained consciousness 13 hours later.

The Free Press could not find anyone who saw Spinks at Spears, but the Last Chance manager, Tom Tappelletti, said Spinks arrived at his Woodard and Eight Mile bar at 4 p.m. and didn’t leave until closing time. “He was pretty well looped when he left,” Tappelletti said. He thought it was with a woman and possibly two men. Police, though, said Spinks also was seen at the Booby Trap, another Eight Mile bar, shortly after 1 a.m.
    The Free Press had this headline three days after the mugging: “Spinks’ teeth found under bed in motel.” A few weeks later the Free Press reported that Spinks hadn’t bothered to pick up his teeth, which had been stored in a brown envelope, and failed to show up to look at mug shots.

... Spinks hadn’t bothered to pick up his teeth, which had been stored in a brown envelope, and failed to show up to look at mug shots.
    To his credit, Spinks had a good sense of humor about the mugging -- his wife not so much, I imagine.

I forgot Spinks was a jarhead [[as was Ken Norton). And both of them beat Ali [[ooo-rah). I served with guys who actually were crazier than Leon, so any of his hijinks really didn't surprise me.

A good book could be written about Detroit's rich boxing history, from Tommy Burns onward.