Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Mary's Bengal Bar

There was a bar right next to the old Tiger Stadium on Michigan Avenue and I thought it was called Mary's Bengal Bar. My dad told me that his best friend's mother-in-law owned it and we used to stop there after he would take me to a Tiger game or Lion Game. But that was over 50 years ago and maybe my memory and Recollections are not that good. Does anyone else remember this place?

Name:  1979 Stadium Bar Map.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  301.6 KB

Casey's took over that spot

Thank you for that little glimpse of the way it was!

and now it just sits forlornly empty next to Bobcat's Missing it all the time and all the good folks that used to work there

I just asked my husband if he knew of Bengal's. Although before his time, he said it was a coffee shop at some point, maybe a different name before Bengal's? He also said after pulling himself out of his last game at Briggs Stadium, that's where Lou Gehrig went.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I just asked my husband if he knew of Bengal's. Although before his time, he said it was a coffee shop at some point, maybe a different name before Bengal's? He also said after pulling himself out of his last game at Briggs Stadium, that's where Lou Gehrig went.
    Where Bobcat Bonnies is, at Michigan and Harrison, was for a very long time the Red Devil [["Go to the Devil" said the sign) restaurant. Very nice friendly place to eat breakfast or lunch, often with Tiger Stadium grounds crew and other staffers around. My mother used to eat there pretty regularly when she worked over that way.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-02-21 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks for the info, the article was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Where Bobcat Bonnies is, at Michigan and Harrison, was for a very long time the Red Devil [["Go to the Devil" said the sign) restaurant. Very nice friendly place to eat breakfast or lunch, often with Tiger Stadium grounds crew and other staffers around. My mother used to eat there pretty regularly when she worked over that way.
    Ahhh so it was next to Bengal's/Casey's.
    Last edited by Maof; October-02-21 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    If I remember correctly, that diner on Michigan Avenue was simply called the Devil. The Red Devil was a pizza / Italian place over on Fenkell near Southfield. Both restaurants had really good food.

This is about the food around the stadium from The Windsor Star 1980. Note #2 is The Devil
    Name:  clip_86408305.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  202.5 KB

Part2Name:  clip_86408345.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  194.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If I remember correctly, that diner on Michigan Avenue was simply called the Devil. The Red Devil was a pizza / Italian place over on Fenkell near Southfield. Both restaurants had really good food.
    Whitcomb, two blocks east of Greenfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Part2Name:  clip_86408345.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  194.7 KB
    The old Press Box! We were there all the time as I had a friend that bartended during the '84 series. They had a Toronto Blue Jays banner taped to the floor as you walked in. LOL
    Last edited by Maof; October-03-21 at 01:50 PM.