Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dueling Van Gogh Exhibits

Which one are people raving about? And why is the location of one secret? WTF? I tell the wife to grab tickets in December before they sell out - she's like, "I can't see anything beyond October" not realizing we are looking at two different exhibits:

Beyond Van Gogh

Immersive Van Gogh

I will be keeping an ear open for more information.

Wait a minute... I checked out both links, and it's called "Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience"... and it will be at TCF Center... Hall D starting on October 21. The shows look identical which is why to me it sounds like they're one and the same??
    Last edited by Gistok; September-28-21 at 10:23 AM.

When these two exhibits were announced, I heard that the second one Immersive Van Gogh is the better of the two. That said, if you haven't seen either of the exhibits, whichever one you choose will likely blow you away [[as long as you are into art or Van Gogh)! We saw an immersive Van Gogh experience in Paris and it was awesome!! I believe that the Immersive Van Gogh is keeping their location under wraps because it will be in an industrial setting somewhere in the city and that will make it much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The shows look identical which is why to me it sounds like they're one and the same??
    Two different companies. Each licensing in Van Gogh art images. The number of images is different. And likely not 100% overlap.

Where did you see TCF Center Hall D? The website I just looked at said "Location to be announced".

The industrial location in Paris was an old mill building. Staircase leading to a balcony. Inset walls. Many different ways to view the experience there. I was hoping for the same thing here in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Two different companies. Each licensing in Van Gogh art images. The number of images is different. And likely not 100% overlap.

Where did you see TCF Center Hall D? The website I just looked at said "Location to be announced".
    I just noticed that they were 2 different ones from Facebook ads. If you look at MikeM "Beyond Van Gogh" link, it gives the date/location on the first page of that link.

The Immersive Van Gogh experience [wherever that is showing]... is due to end on October 3, while the Beyond Van Gogh starts on October 21 at TCF Center.

What a fascinating puzzle.

Are we not reverse engineering a marketing plan here?

Brilliant!

My daughters and their families went to Immersive Van Gogh back in July and liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I just noticed that they were 2 different ones from Facebook ads. If you look at MikeM "Beyond Van Gogh" link, it gives the date/location on the first page of that link.

The Immersive Van Gogh experience [wherever that is showing]... is due to end on October 3, while the Beyond Van Gogh starts on October 21 at TCF Center.
    Confusion reigns! Beyond Van Gogh opened at the TCF center back in June and is slated to end October 3. Immersive Van Gogh opens on Oct 21 and runs thru Feb 6. I still can't find a specific location mentioned on the Immersive Van Gogh website. Guess we will see in a few weeks!! I'm hoping that it will be at an industrial location.

Beyond Van Gogh: live now in the TCF Center and ends Oct. 17th.
    Immersive Van Gogh: Starts Oct. 21st, location TBD.

The second one is supposed to be the "better" one. I got an ad for Immersive Van Gogh on Instagram, and people in the comments attended Beyond and seemed pretty disappointed, and didn't realize there were actually two separate exhibits. Seems like the first exhibit might be a bit of an opportunist, capitalizing on the buzz of Immersive Van Gough and hoping people don't realize there's two events. Definitely seems intentional.
    Last edited by EGrant; September-28-21 at 05:31 PM.

Yes, confusing! But not all cities are getting both Beyond Van Gogh and Immersive Van Gogh experiences.

And next year around the country there are three immersive Monet experiences!
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/im...-monet-1995318
    Last edited by Kathleen; September-28-21 at 05:53 PM.

My wife and I have had tickets since April for the end of October for the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. I really wish they'd hurry up and announce a location though; my anxiety is terrible and not knowing where I'm going to be going or being able to prep [[find parking, etc) stresses me out.

Beyond is a great show. I went to see it early. I'm not sure what the OTHER show could do to top it.

Default Immersive Van Gogh delay

Just got an email and text message saying that due to venue issues, the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit will not be opening until February 3rd 2022. They're giving everyone new tickets with free rescheduling or cancellation for people that can't make the new dates.

Wow! That is unbelievable...we wait for months to find out where the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit will take place, and they give ticketholders only a few days' notice on it being delayed not weeks, but months!!

It better be worth the wait!!
    Last edited by Kathleen; October-25-21 at 06:21 PM.

Opens February 30, 2022.

Sigh...well it's been delayed again. Just after I got my PTO day approved for February I get a text message saying the opening is now delayed until May 12th. At this point I'm expecting that in April or so I'm just gonna get a message saying they cancelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Sigh...well it's been delayed again. Just after I got my PTO day approved for February I get a text message saying the opening is now delayed until May 12th. At this point I'm expecting that in April or so I'm just gonna get a message saying they cancelled it.
    Yup, I went ahead and asked for a refund. Fool me once, fool me twice, that sorta thing...

Wondering if this 2nd Van Gogh immersive exhibition will actually come to fruition! I'm having some difficulty envisioning it inside the Harmonie Club building [the press release mentions 38,000 square feet], but the building is multi-level and none of the floors are totally wide open, at least not that I can recall. It's possible that the experience will be spread over multiple floors, but without one huge open space, that might not be the the best immersive art experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Wondering if this 2nd Van Gogh immersive exhibition will actually come to fruition! I'm having some difficulty envisioning it inside the Harmonie Club building [the press release mentions 38,000 square feet], but the building is multi-level and none of the floors are totally wide open, at least not that I can recall. It's possible that the experience will be spread over multiple floors, but without one huge open space, that might not be the the best immersive art experience.
    According to WWJ News Radio announced at about 11:15 this morning, the Immersive Van Gogh is "finally here." It was delayed for nearly seven months. It starts tomorrow at the former Harmonie Club on Grand River. It runs through Labor Day in Detroit.

My wife and I saw the Immersive VanGogh in Sarasota, FL. First, you walk past a series of text panels that contain essays about Van Gogh's life and philosophy. You will think you're looking at PowerPoint slides - the boring kind with all text and no graphics. Then you walk into a large darkened room where moving images of Van Gogh's works are projected on the walls to a recorded music track. Basically an animated PowerPoint presentation. Then you walk out through the gift shop where Van Gogh merchandise - T-shirts, caps, coffee mugs, prints are sold.

My wife thought it was great. I was not impressed. IMHO, If you want to experience Van Gogh's art, the DIA has a great collection of his work.
    Last edited by Pat001; May-13-22 at 06:49 AM.