Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Latest Detroit 2021 Election Poll: Duggan In A Huge Lead, Ayers At Risk Of Losing

This was posted a few days ago at Deadline Detroit:

A recent FBI raid on the home of Detroit Council member Janeé Ayers appears to have hampered her re-election prospects, with a new poll finding she's slipped to third place in her citywide race after finishing first in the August primary.

In the four-way race for two at-large seats, the Target-Insyght survey of 400 likely voters shows Ayers now slightly behind Coleman Young Jr. and Mary Waters, a former state representative with her own past ethics issues. Young Jr. had 30% of the vote, Waters had 24%, Ayers had 19% and Nicole Small had 15%.
    Ayers came first in the Aug. 3 primary with 31% of the vote. The poll was conducted Sept. 15 and 16 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5%.
    Ayers' home was raided by the FBI on Aug. 25, several weeks after her colleague, Andre Spivey, was charged with conspiracy to commit bribery. The ongoing corruption probe also resulted in searches on the homes of Ayers' chief of staff and Councilmember Scott Benson and his chief of staff. The investigation is believed to pertain in part to towing, an industry Ayers recently went to bat for during a debate over new regulations proposed by city council.
    In 2010, as part of a separate public corruption probe, Waters pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor after admitting she accepted a $6,000 Rolex watch as compensation for helping a businessman.
    The survey conducted six weeks from the Nov. 2 municipal elections also finds Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan with a substanial lead in the race against Anthony Adams, holding 60% of the vote to Adams' 22% and 18% of voters undecided. Nearly half of voters, 46%, meanwhile say they have no opinion of Adams or have never heard of him.
    Incumbent Janice Winfrey has a substantial lead in the clerk's race. The poll found 58% of voters would elect her to a fifth term while 27% preferred Denzel McCampbell. 15% were undecided.

Link: https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles...after_fbi_raid

Among Detroit's biggest tragedies are the corrupt charlatans who run the politics. Not everyone.

It's not a new phenomenon-- it long preceded Coleman Young. I don't know my history well enough but as far back I look I haven't found where Detroit went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Among Detroit's biggest tragedies are the corrupt charlatans who run the politics. Not everyone.

It's not a new phenomenon-- it long preceded Coleman Young. I don't know my history well enough but as far back I look I haven't found where Detroit went wrong.
    When the University of Michigan moved to Ann Arbor and the subway plans were killed.

Probably would be a completely different city today.

Perhaps it was when the British defeated the French on the Plains of Abraham in 1760.

Pfft, Duggan is so crooked he could hide behind a corkscrew. And Janice Winfrey is just as bad. Worse yet, our local "news" media hold none of these people accountable. How is it that all of Duggan's minions are going down for this towing stuff, but not the ringleader?
    https://dugganfordetroit.blogspot.co...uck-mafia.html

Duggan already won in a landslide. Ayers is going to have a give in to Duggan machine. Detroit's needs a white mayor. It will put this city's image to the attraction of people's mindset that Detroit is not just a black dominate city.

Now I'm not putting racial comments in front of this thread as a cop out. Detroit did long ago have 5 Black mayoral leaders. But when some of them want to take out money from the city treasury, accept kickbacks, create bad regionalization practices and cussing out of people leaving the city to the suburbs or other thriving towns. Their reputation declines and their next political race will be a tough one. Same thing happen to white Detroit mayors long ago.

Duggan did what he does, being a Detroit mayor by exercising his political responsibility not leaving a paper trail of corruption that could pick up FBI and news media dogs. Let's hope Duggan's paper trail past don't end up the FBI or Detroit Police investigation list.