Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Goodbye Kmart!

Default Goodbye Kmart!

The last Kmart store in the entire state of Michigan, in Marshall, is prepping to go out of business. Another blow for traditional brick and mortar retailers.

Only source so far: https://twitter.com/SearsJobs/status...742851073?s=19

In the words of Raymond aka "Rain Man"

Name:  kmart-sucks.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  141.0 KB

^ Drats! In a way I will miss them. I purchased my then teen-aged daughters first Kathy Ireland leather coat there back as a HS grad gift.

Ames, Zayre, JM Fields, WT Grant, Caldor, Woolco, Arlens, Masons, K-Mart, and several others tried that shtick. Only Walmart survived.

JC Penneys is next on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    JC Penneys is next on the list.
    Well, Penneys is sort of in the mix with Sears, Montgomery Ward, Korvette, and Federal than the examples I gave. I am not sanguine about Penneys future.

On their locations page on their website you can click on states to see how many are left. Many states aren't even on the list. However, even the states that are on their list, many of them have no locations...

https://www.kmart.com/stores.html

Bring back Kresge as a dollar store!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    On their locations page on their website you can click on states to see how many are left. Many states aren't even on the list. However, even the states that are on their list, many of them have no locations...
    The website is overly optimistic and inaccurate. The webmaster will likely jump ship within short order.

There are about a dozen active stores left--half of which are offshore [Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, etc]. Any others are stores in the liquidation process or closed already. The store in Lower Manhattan [Astor Place] was so far behind in rent, there wasn't even a liquidation sale. The property owner just locked the doors overnight.

The Guam store is enormous in size & still successful. If I were to hazard a guess, Eddie & Transformco will probably sell this to Kmart Australia, which is still viable [no common ownership, distribution, or marketing with the US corp, the logo was simply licensed decades ago].
    Last edited by Onthe405; September-30-21 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    The website is overly optimistic and inaccurate. The webmaster will likely jump ship within short order.
    Yep.

The website has a ton of stores listed that have long since closed.

I'd be surprised if they even still have an IT team.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Bring back Kresge as a dollar store!
    It's going to be the Kresge $1.50 store now.

^ Right! Dollar Tree just raised their prices after all!

As the value of our currency continue to dive.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/dollar...on-many-items/

It's relative.
    Not for pensioners.
    You have a pension?!?
    Last edited by bust; September-30-21 at 06:23 PM.

Passed down walkie-talkies
    Still kinda work,
    Analogly.

K-Mart, made in Japan,
    With a circuit diagram.

When have you last seen that?
    Last edited by bust; September-30-21 at 06:25 PM.

Check an issue of Life Magazine from 1950 and you’d be amazed to see how many companies that were big advertisers are no longer in business.

[QUOTE=Pat001;616613]Check an issue of Life Magazine from 1950 and you’d be amazed to see how many companies that were big advertisers are no longer in business.[/QUOTE

I have two LIFE magazines one week apart in 1971 and the same holds true. Some ads give prices, too. It is amazing what a dollar used to be worth.

What was a dollar worth then?

Name:  Candy-4.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  128.6 KB

"You have a pension?!?"
    KMart Pensions are vested and managed by a separate company.

FWIW, some of those gals that worked at the K for decades were making decent money [[add pension and benefits) before K started downsizing [[perhaps the overhead another reason for their downfall).
    pay raises were based on seniority.

This has to be pre 1970 because Hot Fudge Sundaes were at least .75$ when I was in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    What was a dollar worth then?

Name:  Candy-4.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  128.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    This has to be pre 1970 because Hot Fudge Sundaes were at least .75$ when I was in high school.

A dollar in March 1960 was equal to $9.31 of Aug. 2021 money, according to https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Average UAW Big 3 straight time rate was $2.79/hr in Dec. 1960, equal to $25.61 in Aug. 2021.
    Last edited by Burnsie; October-03-21 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    A dollar in March 1960 was equal to $9.31 of Aug. 2021 money, according to https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
    No wonder pops always complains about prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Average UAW Big 3 straight time rate was $2.79/hr in Dec. 1960, equal to $25.61 in Aug. 2021.
    No wonder he always complains young people don't get ahead like they should.
    Last edited by bust; October-03-21 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    No wonder pops always complains about prices.

No wonder he always complains young people don't get ahead like they should.
    I give your pops credit for having a greater level of awareness than most people his age...