Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Canadian Election

Any thoughts on the Canadian Election this weekend? Or did I miss a thread?

Trudeau seems a bit tired to me. Lots of style, but light on substance. I'd probably vote for O'Toole, just to keep strong competition for ideas alive.

Lots of issues over there. COVID [[Liberals yelling look at those Conservatives in Alberta killing people), Vaccine Passports [[Feds tossing money so everyone is getting on board, except nurses and the deplorables), Populism [[nurses and Quebec voters), Blackface [[Trudeau's dark days), Housing [[fewest houses per cap in the developed world making tear-downs unaffordable), just to start.

Many fewer Canadians.

Are their national elections more stable?
    Are their provincial elections less?
    Last edited by bust; September-20-21 at 12:34 AM.

The candidates are taking a page from the U.S. parties. Promise to give away 2 bucks for every buck you raise in taxes and the debt be damned.
    Also, they are all promising a million more jobs. That will leave 2 million jobs unfilled.

I've been following the CBC's polling site. Barring any surprises, the likely scenario appears that Trudeau will lead a minority government, most likely with the NDP? He had been hoping for a majority but PO-ed enough people by springing the early election. I think the Liberal's edge is Trudeau's charisma vs. the lackluster Conservative's O'Toole.

On side note I find it interesting that People's Party [Canadian Trumper equivalents] are slightly outpolling the Bloc Quebecois, although it appears they will gain not seats as their support is unconcentrated and spread across the country.

Name:  canElect.png
Views: 519
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.18.44 AM.png
Views: 571
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.19.28 AM.png
Views: 573
Size:  45.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I've been following the CBC's polling site. Barring any surprises, the likely scenario appears that Trudeau will lead a minority government, most likely with the NDP? He had been hoping for a majority but PO-ed enough people by springing the early election. I think the Liberal's edge is Trudeau's charisma vs. the lackluster Conservative's O'Toole.
    Sad that charisma is so important. We might consider policies and competence.

Trudeau also has excellent branding. Only an excellent marketer could come up with a 'Home Buyer's Bill of Rights'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I've been following the
    What happened to that whole 'no politics' thing?

^ Unavoidable at times as politics too often drive policy, which impacts people.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    What happened to that whole 'no politics' thing?
    We’re an international metropolis. Windsor and Essex County are very much a part of The Detroit [the Straits] family of communities. Their fates are very much intertwined with those communities to their north. We breathe the same air, drink the same water and hear the same hum.

Addendum. CBC has just called it for Trudeau and the Liberals who will again form the government. It only remains to be seen if they will obtain a majority [slim chance] or have to form a coalition. Brian Massey, longtime NDP member of parliament from Windsor West riding has won re-election.

600 million spent on an election that didn't change a damn thing all because Trudeau's pollsters thought he could grab a majority during the pandemic after he himself said nobody wants one. Our kids or grand kids tax dollars at work again.

^ You should check out how the liberals here in the USA waste money.

Few trillion here, few trillion there,... next thing you know, everyone's gotten a 10% pay decrease for life, thanks to inflation. [[Well, poor and retired mainly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Few trillion here, few trillion there,... next thing you know, everyone's gotten a 10% pay decrease for life, thanks to inflation. [[Well, poor and retired mainly.)
    Whenever I hear someone say "liberals" and "money wasted" in the same sentence, it reminds me of the "Fox News" watchers where they're given a dose of amnesia about the several trillion Dubya added with his forray's in the Middle East looking for WMDs... and Trump adding 7.8 trillion with his giveaways to billionaires and millionaires.

https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

Yes... the Democrats have their share of the debt too... but it's funny how forgetful some folks can become??

^^^ Hah! Does anyone actually watch Fox News, CNN etc. that seriously as a source of facts or truth at this point? Apparently too many do.

I do still take the NYTimes as it too is the inviolate, holy writ for some and I want to know what is coming down the pipe!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-21-21 at 03:29 PM.

Zacha341... it is very frightening to realize that our per capita share of the federal debt runs into the tens of thousands of dollars [hopefully Jeff Bezos will pick up part of our share! ]. But ALL administrations are responsible for this... and there are no innocents among politicians...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Zacha341... it is very frightening to realize that our per capita share of the federal debt runs into the tens of thousands of dollars [hopefully Jeff Bezos will pick up part of our share! .
    Hey, I'm 85. Couldn't give a care less about the federal debt. You young'uns can pick it up. ----take your shots----

"What time is it?"

Morris Day

https://usdebtclock.org/
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-21-21 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "What time is it?"

Morris Day

https://usdebtclock.org/
    That clock is getting ready to kick in the turbo charger in both countries with the green push,lithum has jumped 400% with China controlling the majority and now the Taliban sitting on 1 trillion dollars worth of rare earth.

They can have a name your price TV show.

Both of our national debts will be out of our control,liberal or not,we need to stop writing checks we cannot cash.
    Last edited by Richard; September-21-21 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    600 million spent on an election that didn't change a damn thing all because Trudeau's pollsters thought he could grab a majority during the pandemic after he himself said nobody wants one. Our kids or grand kids tax dollars at work again.
    I am not getting how and why he was able to call an early election?

It’s not a set time like every X amount of years?

Most of the articles are opinions and slanted as such.

It seems like he was saying,if you do not like the way I am running things,now is your chance to get rid of me?

^^ In Parliamentary forms of government [there are 5 major kinds], the head of majority [usually a Prime Minister or Chancellor] has to hold another election usually within a set number of years [often 4 or 5 years]... but can set an election date earlier if 1) a "vote of no confidence" has been given by Parliament, or 2) if the Prime Minister has become especially popular and knows that he would win re-election earlier than the maximum 4 or 5 year span, or 3) other reasons, depending on country.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-21-21 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The GQP just forced us to waste $300 million here in CA for the idiotic recall.

Not unlike the Arizona Republicans
    Truth is truth': Trump dealt blow as Republican-led Arizona audit reaffirms Biden win
    http://reuters.com/world/us/arizona-...it-2021-09-24/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^^ In Parliamentary forms of government [there are 5 major kinds], the head of majority [usually a Prime Minister or Chancellor] has to hold another election usually within a set number of years [often 4 or 5 years]... but can set an election date earlier if 1) a "vote of no confidence" has been given by Parliament, or 2) if the Prime Minister has become especially popular and knows that he would win re-election earlier than the maximum 4 or 5 year span, or 3) other reasons, depending on country.
    Thanks

I wonder if that is why our forefathers decided on a simple 2 party system,most of the country has a hard time understanding that let alone 5 parties.

The way I am reading it was Trudoe wanted to see if he could win based on high numbers from the corona virus handling,because it appears as if he is a bit of a lame duck for the next 2 and stood little chance of having the numbers to win at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The GQP just forced us to waste $300 million here in CA for the idiotic recall.
    But yet the liberals approved 1.3 billion to deal with the homeless after they know full well only 30% of that will actually make it to the intended target.

So the homeless will get a cleaner sidewalk to sleep on while those who run the program clear a cool billion in administrative costs.

You guys sure have some sweet gov contracts there,300 million is dinner n a movie money in comparison.
    Last edited by Richard; September-25-21 at 10:57 AM.

Again, not interested in 'shots' - not my scene. However, do you have children, more specifically: grandchildren, grand-nieces and nephews etc. who'll inherit the full fall-out? Should this country continues on this trajectory?

We're 'playing' with outcomes that WILL render reduced qualities of life - we've taken for granted. And I don't mean the so-called 'bourgeois' lifestyle [the extreme radicals claim such high righteous contempt for - yet benefit from].

I include the encroaching [and approved] loss of core freedoms, and assembly, such as who can live where and what will be used for exchange of basic goods. We're already witnessing an increased centralization of communication, commerce, moneys and other crucial infrastructures by fewer 'annointed' individuals. Some living into their nineties may bear witness, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hey, I'm 85. Couldn't give a care less about the federal debt. You young'uns can pick it up. ----take your shots----
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-21 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Again, not interested in 'shots' - not my scene. However, do you have children, more specifically: grandchildren, grand-nieces and nephews etc. who'll inherit the full fall-out? Should this country continues on this trajectory?

We're 'playing' with outcomes that WILL render reduced qualities of life - we've taken for granted. And I don't mean the so-called 'bourgeois' lifestyle [the extreme radicals claim such high righteous contempt for - yet benefit from].

I include the encroaching [and approved] loss of core freedoms, and assembly, such as who can live where and what will be used for exchange of basic goods. We're already witnessing an increased centralization of communication, commerce, moneys and other crucial infrastructures by fewer 'annointed' individuals. Some living into their nineties may bear witness, as well.
    I'm guessing he doesn't recycle either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast