Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why aren't the Q-Line and the People Mover operating?

Just returned from Washington DC where the Metro is in full operation. You have to mask up upon entering the station and at all times when on the trains.

My friends in NYC tell me the same thing - full operation, masks required.

So why can't our two rinky dink mass transit systems operate? I know there aren't as many people downtown these days, but both have announced they will operate for free initially, so its not a question of losing money.

My guess is that there's not enough people downtown to justify running those systems. The qLine is easily replaced by several SMART and DDOT bus lines. The People Mover is easily replaced by walking short distances for those of us that are able-bodied.

I'm a downtown worker that hasn't been downtown since March of 2020. My company is planning to bring me back into the office, but they've pushed back the date a couple times. I'm not supposed to be coming back in the first week of October, Mondays only.

I'd rather work from home anyway, so I've been very happy.

There are those of us who go to see the Tigers who would like to
    ride the Q line from parking lots further northwest on Woodward.
    And the Q line has regularly been running cars for training purposes
    since June, 2021.

The Q line is already running a pretty regular schedule with no passengers and has been for months. It makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Q line is already running a pretty regular schedule with no passengers and has been for months. It makes zero sense.
    They have brought all operations in house and are taking this time to train new drivers. That is why you see them running without anybody on them at this moment.

As we speak they are painting the right lane of Woodward red, presumably to deter people from parking in the Q Line lane. They are at the I-75/Woodward bridge right now.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    They have brought all operations in house and are taking this time to train new drivers.
    Doesn't it have one lever? Like a boat? Move it forward and it accelerates, move it rearward and it slows down?

There's no steering, and it's probably computer limited to 30 mph or so.

It shouldn't take more than a few hours to train people to do that.

There must be another reason. Perhaps the image of it going by occasionally is enough to achieve the goal of increasing downtown high-rise real estate desirability?

And a car or two making a lap each day [[and never having to be cleaned) looses them a lot less money than operating it full time?

Name:  Qline control.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  61.5 KB
    Last edited by Rocket; September-13-21 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    As we speak they are painting the right lane of Woodward red, presumably to deter people from parking in the Q Line lane. They are at the I-75/Woodward bridge right now.
    Somebody please take a pic. That sounds pretty fugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Doesn't it have one lever? Like a boat? Move it forward and it accelerates, move it rearward and it slows down?

There's no steering, and it's probably computer limited to 30 mph or so.

It shouldn't take more than a few hours to train people to do that.

There must be another reason. Perhaps the image of it going by occasionally is enough to achieve the goal of increasing downtown high-rise real estate desirability?

And a car or two making a lap each day [[and never having to be cleaned) looses them a lot less money than operating it full time?
    Is this a serious reply? You honestly think that something that large, that expensive, that carries people and can kill someone if not operated properly takes just a few hours? Conspiracy people never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Is this a serious reply? You honestly think that something that large, that expensive, that carries people and can kill someone if not operated properly takes just a few hours? Conspiracy people never cease to amaze me.
    Conspiracy? Wow.

Well, I had about 3 hours of flight training before I took off an airplane for the first time unassisted, [[about twice that to land). And even the simplest airplane is 100x more complicated than an electric railcar. A railcar only has speed and opening and closing the doors.

I would guess that in 20 seconds or less one could be taught to run a Q-Line car. And sure, to do so safely is gonna take a good bit longer.

But I can't imagine it takes months.

You can't steer it. All you can do is look far ahead and be sure to slow in time for obstructions. If a car cut's you off, well, there's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Somebody please take a pic. That sounds pretty fugly.
    Here's an image via the r/detroit subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Conspiracy? Wow.

Well, I had about 3 hours of flight training before I took off an airplane for the first time unassisted, [[about twice that to land). And even the simplest airplane is 100x more complicated than an electric railcar. A railcar only has speed and opening and closing the doors.

I would guess that in 20 seconds or less one could be taught to run a Q-Line car. And sure, to do so safely is gonna take a good bit longer.

But I can't imagine it takes months.

You can't steer it. All you can do is look far ahead and be sure to slow in time for obstructions. If a car cut's you off, well, there's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it.
    Yes. The implication that all of the foundations and stakeholders who helped build the line are simply running it with nobody on it to build up real estate values is asinine. As is the implication that because you flew a plane after 3 hours that you have any idea of what it might actually take to operate a 30 ton train that operates in the downtown of a major city. By your logic American Airlines should be knocking on your door and offering a job, because who needs someone "well trained" in a system carrying pedestrians when you can hire anyone who gets the "gist" of it.

"I'm not a QLine driver... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Thanks. It's not very attractive but I'm not sure what alternate color would be better. Hopefully it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Good choice of camouflage for the pedestrian blood stains.