Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Grand River/Fenkell shopping

This old thread from 2009 popped up but I cannot post to it so I will continue here.
    There are stories in the thread of bike riding on Grand River to Lansing. Well, everytime I tell this I get a laugh.
    It was the summer of 1961 and I was going into my senior year of high school. My friend was going to be a fresh at MSU and went to summer school to get a feel for the campus life ahead of the the rush. She kept telling me about 15 cent french fries at this new place in Lansing and that I just had to come up. But..I did not have a car. So...I bought a bus ticket. We left Pontiac, or where ever the bus station was back then, and took Grand River to Lansing. Stoppd at every town the entire way there. Same towns as mentioned in the bike riding story. It took something like 6 hours onth bus and cost maybe $3.50 each way, if that. Anyway, that was my first MacDonalds. The hamburger and coke was an after thought...we were there for the 15 cent fries!!! My husband cannot believe I took a bus all the way to Lansing to go to a MacDonalds. But he was older and had a car.

I remember when I was in 10th grade a buddy and I took a Greyhound to East Lansing for the HS basketball championship games. In those days they were always held as MSU's Jennison Field House. I remember a parent drove us to the pick up point. It was in Southfield either by the Northland Inn or Reynolds building. I remember it was one horrible snow storm and it was an express. It dropped us off within a block of where semi-responsible adults/older kids had some rooms which a bunch of us piled into. A fun weekend of basketball and adventure.

I thought that this thread was about shopping on Grand River and Fenkell

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I thought that this thread was about shopping on Grand River and Fenkell
    It was, but then in 1960 the Southfield freeway came and tore it up.

If you read all the original threads there are comments about biking on Grand River all the way from Fenkell to Lansing, the crossings you passed thru, the farmhouses no longer there. Interesting read. That's all. I worked at Montgomery Ward in the drapery department in 1965 on a student work/study program. Got class credit, min wage, store discount. There was enough interest and wealth that Wards offered custom draperies, and someone went to the house with fabric samples, and wrote up the sale. Some very sytlish homes nearby.

WSU1966 is referring to an archived "old" forum thread. Posting on it is not possible. You can view it and images here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1157376590
    and here:
    https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1077427547

That old exchange has me missing some of the old regulars, like Jana.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    That old exchange has me missing some of the old regulars, like Jana.
    I think you mean Jabba... and yes we all miss him, he moved to Portland. He always liked to post in the 3rd Person.

I did mean Jabba! Thanks.