Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Greg Mudge, owner of famed Mudgie's Deli in Corktown, dies at age 46

Known to the community as a caring and hard-working Detroit business owner, Mudgie's Deli owner Greg Mudge, 46, died early Sunday, Sept, 5, 2021.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/li...ed/5741742001/

Greg was A ROCK. Everyone in the community could count on his help.

This is so sad. Terrible loss to the community.
    Last edited by Maof; September-05-21 at 06:34 PM.

He was the best. Will miss him horribly.

very sad loss. I didn't know him but I almost feel as if I did the way people talk about him. The community will miss him

Oh man, that's so tragic. Way waaaay too soon. I knew a lot of people who knew him through the Detroit restaurant biz, and they all loved him. Damn.

I remember when they opened up years ago, we were one of his first customers, and he must’ve asked us five times if we were enjoying our lunch and sent over a complementary dessert and even sat with us for a couple minutes. Been back numerous times over the years and I’ve always enjoyed it. Just saw him three weeks ago, we got there before it opened and he invited us to sit next to him while the restaurant opened . Horrible loss, he ran a fabulous restaurant, was such a kind human being who did so much for so many. R.I.P.

So sad, so young. A great community asset, outstanding food.

Been to Mudgies years ago. Their subs are the crafted and are the best. I hope whoever is running Mudgies is keeping the business open.

Tragic loss at way to young. As a customer he always made going to his shop very enjoyable. My condolences to his family.

Greg was of my peer group and hung out at a lot of the same spots I did. He was one of the few guys I can recall who was always upbeat and friendly towards me.

He never gave up on Detroit [[even when people declared things were all wrong) and weathered some of the declines. His DJ skills can still be heard on YouTube.

Rest in peace, Greg.

Sad news, for sure! I did not know Greg, although we would see him occasionally as he guided into the waiting area or stopped by our table at Mudgie's. I remember wondering how anything could replace Eph McNally's but Greg made Mudgie's into one of the best places around. We've taken so many out-of-town visitors there through the years. He will be missed! Condolences to his family and his friends and coworkers! Keep his spirit alive by patronizing Mudgie's for years to come!!

Cause of death has been determined.......https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...er/5777479001/

^Thanks Maof...

So it looks like he died from not keeping a check on his Blood Pressure, and likely not taking BP medication.

So sad... hypertension... the silent killer.

We don't know the whole story, this was in an early article on his death.

She said his death was unexpected and not Covid-related, The Detroit News reports. Pressley, a 68-year-old Warren resident, also said he recently had a health checkup with no problems and planned to take a few days off.

They did an autopsy:
    Oakland County's medical examiner has confirmed Greg Mudge, owner of the popular Corktown restaurant Mudgie's Deli and Wine Bar, died of natural hypertensive cardiovascular disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    We don't know the whole story, this was in an early article on his death.

She said his death was unexpected and not Covid-related, The Detroit News reports. Pressley, a 68-year-old Warren resident, also said he recently had a health checkup with no problems and planned to take a few days off.

I knew of the autopsy but Greg didn’t have that data point. He could only respond to what his healthcare expert told him at his check up.

I'm not saying he neglected his health; maybe he had a really crappy doctor. Or maybe at his age he didn't tell his mother everything his doctor said. Maybe he was taking his meds but the damage was already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    I knew of the autopsy but Greg didn’t have that data point. He could only respond to what his healthcare expert told him at his check up.