Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Henry Ford Hospital Neighborhood

I am always taking a look at real estate offerings in Detroit, and just found listing for two new townhouse developments in the neighborhood by Henry Ford Hosptal.

Several townhomes will be on Kipling.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M92505-69504

Others will be on Poe.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M97189-65305

These seem to be a little off the beaten path but I've long thought that little area west of the hospital was ripe for redevelopment given its proximity to the hospital.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything in Detroit right now until the market comes down a bit, as everything is extremely marked up citywide. Even homes near Plymouth and Wyoming are listing for $60-80K. and $100k+ for a small 3 bedroom in Highland Park??? I don't think so!

Nice infill! There’s a good amount of house renovations occurring around there.

Perhaps this suggests that if a census were taken again in late 2022 or mid 2013, Detroit's population might be substantially larger than the 639,111 residents of the city counted on April 1, 2020. That's after a
    Census Bureau estimate of 670,000 residents of Detroit as of July 1, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend buying anything in Detroit right now until the market comes down a bit, as everything is extremely marked up citywide. Even homes near Plymouth and Wyoming are listing for $60-80K. and $100k+ for a small 3 bedroom in Highland Park??? I don't think so!
    This isn't good advice, you have no idea what the market is going to do. It could go up much more in the coming years. If you want to buy a home you buy when it makes the most sense for you.

The area is proximate to LaSalle Gardens/Virginia Park, New Center + Core City/NW Goldberg/Woodbridge. Lots of infill development happening throughout. Motown expansion and ongoing Henry Ford projects will continue to anchor the area.

The # of owners on forbearance who sell vs repay could impact market, but inventory remains at a 40-year low - which likely won't induce price crash simply driven by buyer demand. WFH and millennial household formation means lots of buyers out there. I don't see a McMansion glut in northern Oakland, Macomb or Washtenaw county. What's being built is selling. Very little spec product out there.
    Last edited by hybridy; September-02-21 at 02:23 PM.

Who want to buy a half of million dollar home in the middle of the ghetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    There's a sucker born every minute Danny. In all seriousness, the target buyer is DINK/DINKY who is priced out of Midtown, but works/plays downtown/midtown.

See for yourself
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...74243222_zpid/
    Last edited by hybridy; September-02-21 at 04:47 PM.

Well Detroit can go in an out of rough, block to block. Poe street can be particularly rough and it borders the hospital. There was a shooting on that block recently with an innocent person shot dead. But then it's also prime land so we shall see won't we?

Afterall HFH has made a move nearing Ferry Pk. which was notoriously known as Hangmans-gap by my dad back in the eighties. Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Plymouth and Wyoming? Wow they are asking for that much around there? That's sort of getting towards Redford/Dearborn, nothing near Grand Boulevard and the Lodge. The speculation around HF Hospital at least is based on a very slow but moving along clearing of properties between Wayne State, Grand River and the Boulevard. It's still sketchy in places for sure, but it looks and feels much safer with empty lots and lighting, and it has changed a lot. If you clear the abandoned houses, you also clear some drug houses, and that's what Henry Ford [[NOT C of D) did on some of those blocks. If they can finish a Wayne State Connection like they did with Wayne State and downtown, it's a great thing.

it's also a short walk from Holden Street, which has that big streetscape project in the works, and between the art studios and venues just south of HFH i would not be surprised if that whole area started shaping into a district filled with young creatives. and that would be your target audience for townhouses like this.

Where is the supermarket in that desert? There are no amenities to think of in that area for a person to pay that much for a townhome. The neighborhood was a nice one in the 50's and 60's but after the riot the neighborhood went into decline. The retail district on Woodward nearby is trying to make some type of comeback but the only hooray that is on that strip is the opening of a couple of afrocentric restaurants but sparsely retail that cater to the urbane relics that once shopped there before the redesigning of Woodward a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Where is the supermarket in that desert? There are no amenities to think of in that area for a person to pay that much for a townhome. The neighborhood was a nice one in the 50's and 60's but after the riot the neighborhood went into decline. The retail district on Woodward nearby is trying to make some type of comeback but the only hooray that is on that strip is the opening of a couple of afrocentric restaurants but sparsely retail that cater to the urbane relics that once shopped there before the redesigning of Woodward a few years back.
    There's literally a Family Foods supermarket right up Rosa Parks Boulevard, A Plum Market is not far in New Center, also other smaller stores in the area. A food Co-op is planned in the North End, that's not too far either. Suburbanites definitely drive much larger distances to get their groceries or go to their favorite stores. I wish this total lie that Detroit is a food desert would die already. It's objectively not true.

Obviously you would have all the amenities that entails with living in a semi-central part of Detroit like the best restaurants in Michigan, museums, theaters, etc.

$340,000 is not bad for a two bedroom two and a half bath and very typical for new construction or renovated homes in good and up in coming areas like this one. The Ford hospital just finished a large cancer center so there's plenty of good jobs nearby and high earners to market to. It's obvious some of you are very out of touch with 2021 Detroit real estate and development.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; September-04-21 at 06:57 PM.

Does anyone know the developers behind this? I was thinking that since HFH was planning a housing development in the area years ago that maybe this was them testing the water. I know construction costs are up, but if there was a time to develop that area it would be now.
    Or not I don’t know…

what is an afrocentric restaurant?

There was a beautiful market next to the Pistons performance center called Plum Market but it closed when covid hit and never reopened.

There must be another reason why it never opened back up possibly lack off traffic.
    https://www.plummarket.com/new-center/

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    There's literally a Family Foods supermarket right up Rosa Parks Boulevard, A Plum Market is not far in New Center, also other smaller stores in the area. A food Co-op is planned in the North End, that's not too far either. Suburbanites definitely drive much larger distances to get their groceries or go to their favorite stores. I wish this total lie that Detroit is a food desert would die already. It's objectively not true.
    Obviously you would have all the amenities that entails with living in a semi-central part of Detroit like the best restaurants in Michigan, museums, theaters, etc.

$340,000 is not bad for a two bedroom two and a half bath and very typical for new construction or renovated homes in good and up in coming areas like this one. The Ford hospital just finished a large cancer center so there's plenty of good jobs nearby and high earners to market to. It's obvious some of you are very out of touch with 2021 Detroit real estate and development.
    Detroit has two Meijers and a couple of specialty markets like Plum Market and Whole Foods which are pretty expensive. I know that there are a lot of independently owned markets, some of which have questionable pricing and quality. Objectively, that’s not a huge selection of good places to buy groceries in a city of 129 square miles.

I’m not sure what this food co-op you referred to actually is. I’ve never seen a food co-op in my life and I’m pretty old.
    Last edited by softailrider; September-05-21 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post

I wish there was an upvote button! How a city that has an Eastern Market is a food desert is beyond me.

^ I agree, but not everyone has easy transportation. I think that if the city gets more Aldi's near the neighborhoods, that would be great, especially with their fresh meats and produce. Unfortunately the 2 they do have are on the east side... they need a few on the more populous west side.

I think that those folks who rely on public transportation would not have an easy time shopping at Eastern Market. It somewhat limits the amount of produce you can carry home.

But things are getting better shopping wise in the city... just not as quickly as people would like.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-06-21 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    what is an afrocentric restaurant?
    Yum Village [[West African), Joe Louis Kitchen [[Soul food), Baobab Fare [[Burundi), Jamaican Pot [[Caribbean). It is honestly pretty cool to see a retail strip with so many different kinds of restaurants from African/African Diaspora. I would love to see it develop further with more restaurants from different cultures.
    Last edited by louis; September-07-21 at 01:00 PM.