Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Far West Side Tiny Homes

We've had a few threads on these but Search kinda sucks. Out around Southfield & Lyndon [[not exactly, but near there) is a small cluster of tiny home built on lots that are sideways from the normal streets. I can't remember if there's a U shaped street that serves them, or a single common driveway. I thought I could pick them out on aerial views, but I haven't been able to.

Just wondering what happened to them with the real estate price changes.

I'm thinking the street name starts with Oak ---- , but Oaklawn, Oakdale and Oakwood are in different areas. Maybe Oakfield?

There's a large cluster near Woodrow Wilson and Richton I think. I've never seen the ones you referred to, but I'll be on the lookout.

Yeah, that jogged my memory, Oakfield and Keeler

Attachment 41646

Streetview shots from years back show a few of them in pretty bad condition. Hopefully they been worked on since then?

^Invalid Attachment

Works for me ....

Here is the Google Streetview link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4036...7i16384!8i8192

They still look to be in bad shape.

I always liked this little nook of houses in Highland Park, off Cortland Street. Several houses have been demolished over the past 10-15 years, but you could still see how elegant it was:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3988...7i16384!8i8192

I was making reference to the new build tiny houses off the Lodge.

There’s also the Lumpkin Street 1 bedroom brick houses of which, last time I looked, some remained.

Those don't look to be too tiny by today's definition. They are "storybook style" though. Very cute.

I found a couple of other threads talking about them, but no details or history as to why they were built that way or when.

You guys are talking about two different housing developments. I’m pretty sure the OP was referring to these.

These don't look too bad in '18 when this shot was taken. The three to the right of this screengrab are kind of ragged out.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    These don't look too bad in '18 when this shot was taken. The three to the right of this screengrab are kind of ragged out.

That could be an absolutely charming street.

Can tiny houses save Detroit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY4s5T6cLSw

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

You would think that if the homeowners/property owners had any pride in ownership and in their street, they could at least put some nice landscaping or flowers in 1 or both of the little medians, it would probably take an afternoon to do it if they all came together to do it.

Cobblestones instead of blacktop.

A fountain.

I disagree with the idea that these "tiny homes" are the best way to help the homeless. There's a lot of upkeep with a home. Who waters the grass or plants flowers? Who rakes the leaves or shovels the snow? It would make more sense to me to build housing for the homeless or low-income that eliminates having them worry about those things and the expenses that go along with them. Also, these tiny homes take up a lot of space. Wasted space in my book. Instead of 25 homes spread out over two or three blocks, build 25 attached townhomes that take up one side of a city block and come in between 500-600 square feet. Then build 25 more facing the alley and turn the alley into a lane [[kinda like what Quicken Loan/Rocket Mortgage is doing in Brush Park but on a cheaper scale). Then replicate the 50 units on the other side of the block. Just because Detroit has a lot of vacant land, doesn't mean you spread out everything. That's what got the region in trouble in the first place - urban sprawl.
    Last edited by royce; September-01-21 at 12:39 AM.

Those folks take good care of those tiny homes on Oakfield St. It's a walking into a Bavarian village.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Those folks take good care of those tiny homes on Oakfield St. It's a walking into a Bavarian village.
    They have ski and snowboard equipment for sale?

I don't see how new 'tiny homes' developments help the city when we have thousands of larger vacant structures that could be redeveloped for the same costs and house more of the homeless. It makes no sense to spend the same amount on a 700 sq foot home when we have already properly structured 2300 sq foot homes with multiple rooms owned by the city of Detroit that could be used for homeless veterans.

And besides with tiny homes on large parcels of land, ...who's going to cut all of that grass every week?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Instead of 25 homes spread out over two or three blocks, build 25 attached townhomes that take up one side of a city block and come in between 500-600 square feet.
    We already have existing brick exterior duplexes that can be renovated at cheaper costs than building new structures with quality that won't even be as half as good as these post 1930's and 40's built homes owned by the Detroit Land Bank.