Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: AT&T Building

Default AT&T Building

Over the past few years I had noticed many homeless people are sleeping or hanging out around the Michigan Avenue entrance of the AT&T building downtown. Does the company still occupy the building or is the building vacant? I find it strange that AT&T would allow this to occur.

I read the building was sold in July and is temporarily closed. I wonder if some of the homeless from Hart Plaza moved over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I read the building was sold in July and is temporarily closed. I wonder if some of the homeless from Hart Plaza moved over there.
    Where did AT&T moved its headquarters to?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Where did AT&T moved its headquarters to?
    I seem to remember that ATT was staying in the original building from the 20's and selling off the annex that faces MI Ave.

Maybe they'll reopen the beautiful old Cass St entrance.

The AT&T Building which is connected to the older Cass Ave. Bell Building used to be the Michigan Bell Building back in the 1970s & 1980s. The floors to the 2 buildings don't match up, until the 12th floor, which did align, and was the floor with the company cafeteria. I'm sure that with the sale, the connector between the 2 buildings was sealed up.

AT&T reported back in January 2020 that it was selling 13 office buildings in 9 states, including the 17 story [[1974 built) 444 Michigan Ave.

Also planned in the sale was the the old 1365 Cass Ave. old Michigan Bell HQ building attached to the Michigan Ave. location. 1365 Cass is a 19 story building that had its' first 7 stories built in 1919, with a further 12 story addition built on top of it in 1927.

I cannot see more information because of the Crain's paywall.