Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Welcoming afghans to detroit

Greetings Forum Phenoms,

Resettlement - Afghans to Detroit. Just asking. With my cursory knowledge of the housing stock in Detroit, I am wondering whether a goodly number of boarded up houses could be rehabbed quickly enough to help create a community for these refugees. Yes, I am mindful of situations like competition for jobs with the established community. Another group of non-Christians within the city proper. Possible terrorist “plants” within this group. Racism and Xenophobia. All of the hallmarks that greeted other large contingents of immigrants [[The Hmong community in Minnesota comes to mind, as well as, Cubans, Central Americans, Vietnamese, and Filipinos.)

A significant number of Afghans could change the landscape of the city - over time. Would 50,000 people be too many? Not enough?

Whatever Detroit gets Afghans, it will be up to 1,000 people. Other Afghans will be going to other U.S. cities if they have families there.

Detroit is not getting an Afghan community. My comment is not a race issue. It's an ethnic issue.

Airbnb Will Provide Housing To 20,000 Afghan Refugees Around The World For Free
    Airbnb says it will provide housing to 20,000 Afghan refugees around the world for free. The refugees will be staying in properties listed on the company's website.

The stays are funded through contributions to Airbnb.org from Airbnb and Brian Chesky, Airbnb's CEO and co-founder, as well as donors to the Airbnb.org Refugee Fund, according to the company.

"As tens of thousands of Afghan refugees resettle around the world, where they stay will be the first chapter in their new lives," Chesky said in a news release Tuesday. "For these 20,000 refugees, my hope is that the Airbnb community will provide them with not only a safe place to rest and start over, but also a warm welcome home."

Ahead of the Afghans are the illegals and other asylum seekers entering from our open southern borders.

We've been late [Michiganders] to see much evidence of that impacting us here -- as compared to our southern states. I hear a great deal about our sanctuary city status socially but what's on the books?

Are our obligations socially or politically-based? Do we have the infrastructure?

In the mean time, there may be some resumption of 'remain in Mexico' per our SCOTUS [as concern re. open borders during a pandemic mounts]. We shall see how that bows shortly or not....

Supreme Court Allows Revival of Trump-Era Asylum Policy

Supreme Court tells Biden to REINSTATE 'remain in Mexico' policy

Bottom-line is that some Detroiter's far less reflexively concerned with being called 'racist' may decry already scare city services diverted to incoming residents over our existing populations. Low or high!

Where there's abandoned property that speaks to existing citizens displaced that could use the housing. We DO have a homeless population problem. We have current populations suffering from inadequate shelter, medical care, high mortality rates for children, unemployment, etc.

Resources are really not infinite. Can we practically accept the largess of Afghan's seeking shelter in the US, considering our existing lack of long-term resources [withstanding cranking up the money-printing machine]?

Especially as we're already tied to political obligations of keeping our southern borders open to illegals, incoming.

This is where we were on re-populating the city in 2015. Where are we now....?

https://www.bridgemi.com/urban-affai...s-and-refugees
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-21 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Greetings Forum Phenoms,

Resettlement - Afghans to Detroit. Just asking. With my cursory knowledge of the housing stock in Detroit, I am wondering whether a goodly number of boarded up houses could be rehabbed quickly enough to help create a community for these refugees. Yes, I am mindful of situations like competition for jobs with the established community. Another group of non-Christians within the city proper. Possible terrorist “plants” within this group. Racism and Xenophobia. All of the hallmarks that greeted other large contingents of immigrants [[The Hmong community in Minnesota comes to mind, as well as, Cubans, Central Americans, Vietnamese, and Filipinos.)

A significant number of Afghans could change the landscape of the city - over time. Would 50,000 people be too many? Not enough?

In another thread, there was talk about all the unsold unoccupied condos being built in Detroit. No need to rehab houses, they can stay in those.

Refugee resettlement is organized/subcontracted by catholic charities,the city would have to coordinate interest with them.

Refugees and relocation is totally different then mass immigration,being a burden on the host city is factored in and funded on the federal level.

Afgans are as much as a mix religious wise as we are,if they were not a majority Christian they would have stayed where they were at.

Most refugees and immigrants from the ME is kinda of a generational thing,even more so from there as the younger family members quickly embrace western values and are already embracing the whole technology thing.

There has been massive women’s rights groups over there,considering women and the females in general were to be seen and not heard or schooled,or allowed to do much of anything,they have already been introduced into the whole western world culture thing so they are already assimilated in a way,verses some in the past that were just thrust into a new world.

I do not see a mass movement of 50,000,the city could not handle it nor could any other city.

1000 to 5000 maybe? This is not a group of people that would expect everybody else to adapt to them verses them assimilating.

I am sure it would be a case of banding together as a support vehicle but they are already pretty much westernized and they understand freedom of choice etc.

Its up to you guys but a few thousand here,a few thousand there would not be a shock or burden on the community.

^ interesting enough I think it was ,The Church Of Nazarene,raised 23 million in 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...The Church Of Nazarene
    Wow! The preacher's gonna' have a new Cadillac, etc.

Now, now if there's going to be any graft and diverting of funds it will be a bit more subtle and less obvious than that ------

The way the truly elite thieves do. The Cadillac is chump change!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-21 at 04:28 PM.

We were originally told that part of our mission was to bring in interpreters and others who risked their lives to help us and their families. The estimate of the number of those refugees was between 21-30,000 refugees. As of this morning, the US operation had evacuated 70,000 people. That number was not broken down into Americans and Afghanis but there were only supposed to have ben 10-15,000 Americans there and we haven't heard that most of them are out yet. The number of Afghanis being brought out then is far greater than the number we were originally told it was our mission to bring out. Since Monday when our CIA director visited the Taliban in Kabul [[coincidence?), the Taliban has been facilitating a much more orderly flow of refugees or whoever they are. At his rate, those federal facilities will be overflowing before these refugees are vetted and properly quarantined for Covid. Whatever numbers Detroit is willing to graciously take in, a new executive order makes it illegal for any local or state government to limit the number of refugees the federal government decides to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

Well,a senior pastor has a salary of $49,000 and sense it is a global religious organization “the preacher” cannot buy a new Cadillac with donations.

I did not know that either until I did a 30 second search so I was not ASSuming,in order to fit a narrative that had zero to do with the topic at hand.

What do you actually think about relocating some afgans to Detroit ?

Detroit needs people that will work. Everyone appears to be hiring, and no one is looking to work. I'm hoping this will be a win/win all around

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Greetings Forum Phenoms,

Highly unlikely due to the shortage of building materials, licensed tradespeople, and time lag in getting all the building and other permits for boarded up houses before getting an occupancy permit. If they were to be settled in metro, they'd most likely be taken in by families in Dearborn and settle there.

^ majority in Dearborn are Shia where as a majority of Afghans are Sunni .

Globally Shia only make up 15% of the Muslim community.

I doubt there are enough families Sunni in Dearborn,but I do not know the breakdown there.

This is why Afghanistan is know as the graveyard of empires,because the groups are always fighting each other,no need in stirring the pot.

They are not dumb hick farmers a majority are actually quite educated in technology,engineering etc. probably at a much higher rate then most are here,they do the same things over there as here so some will be trades people,taxi drivers or restaurant owners or servers etc.

If you are short on trades people incentivize the movement of trades people,they can fix their own house.

The land bank can take a somewhat livable house and put a trades person in there with a three year payment deferment and give them a chance to get on their feet.

They get support from the charities for months to cover basics,so they would not be a burden,and you have acquired a new resident,which is a new home owner paying taxes and taking pride in their little piece of dirt while helping to contribute to the growth of the city.
    Last edited by Richard; August-25-21 at 01:24 PM.

we'll see what happens. I hope the organizations involved are ethical, seeing the true needs of the refugees. Transparency is important. They can't just latch onto a gimmick. these are real people fleeing a truly terrible situation.
    I'm not listening to local talk radio about this issue. it's going to be ugly and racially toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What do you actually think about relocating some afgans to Detroit ?
    Not opposed to it.

Absolutely!

Welcome to Detroit and surrounding areas.

Live in peace and prosper!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Absolutely!

Welcome to Detroit and surrounding areas.

Live in peace and prosper!

That's the appearance but the details are rich.

For example there are jobs going begging due in part to not enough people skilled to fill them. I don't think 'no one' is looking for work. Having worked in career tech areas, it's been my experience that certain skills don't always meet highly specialized technical requirements. Due in part to to the ever-increasing move of technology.

Case in point: education and training. Not only must you [especially since COVID-19] revise and apply a battery of technological skills to transfer the information, but you must re-double the assessment. Assessment that ensures that skills are learned and will be useful in the changing job set. If you're on the trainee end you hope you your trainer has true knowledge and the skill to convey such. The hyper-technology replacing traditional jobs pre-COVID is absolutely not going away. You adapted, or perished if you did not get on board. Some have not.

Couple that the with some of the progressive ideologies going on in some educational circles that certain groups 'no longer' need to learn, compete, and acquire technology. Said technologies deemed as the oppressive holdings of other groups. Where does that leave those already harnessed with gaps in academic and technical achievement? Where will they work? Wake up folks! See the truth. Knowledge is power.

Let no one tell you what they think you don't need to know, skills-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Detroit needs people that will work. Everyone appears to be hiring, and no one is looking to work. I'm hoping this will be a win/win all around
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-26-21 at 04:18 PM.

I'd like as many Afghans here as possible. Immigrants are the life blood of cities and this country in general. They will easily be able to find service jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Why work when you're getting paid to stay home? A lot of people have scammed those PPP loans, and probably will never get caught and prosecuted.

Ah yes, the working poor are lazy and scam artists. Any other tired tropes we can toss in for good measure. Never mind that we spent a year and a half saying how "essential" these workers were to keeping things going during the pandemic then immediately told them to kick rocks when they wanted a living wage. 'Murica.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I'd like as many Afghans here as possible. Immigrants are the life blood of cities and this country in general. They will easily be able to find service jobs.
    They have a double and triple vetting process,it’s got to be the most scrutinized group of immigrants in history.

Most are university educated,doubt they will be looking for service jobs.

But then again I know many from South America that were petro engineers,doctors,surgeons,lawyers,reporters etc that are now waiting tables and cleaning timeshares.

They are actually pretty happy because they make more then they did in their country.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Ah yes, the working poor are lazy and scam artists. Any other tired tropes we can toss in for good measure. Never mind that we spent a year and a half saying how "essential" these workers were to keeping things going during the pandemic then immediately told them to kick rocks when they wanted a living wage. 'Murica.
    I didn't say ALL working poor are lazy scam artists. But there were quite a few that took advantage of the system, as well as people that didn't need to. I mean it's pretty obvious....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-27-21 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast