Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 500 home run club

One player who gets omitted from the discussion about Miggie is Eddie Mathews. He played two years for the Tigers in '67 and '68 and hit nine home runs, including including career
    #'s 503-512.

Whose discussion? I heard Eddie Mathews mentioned today as a 500 HR club member who once played for the Tigers.

Eddie Matthews is the only other member of the 500 homer club to have ever played for the Tigers. Other than that though, I'm not sure why he has much place in the discussion about Miggy, since Eddie barely played for the Tigers at the tail end of a career spent mostly in Milwaukee.

In a Tigers context, a much better discussion would be about the 2 players who are still ahead of the great Cabrera on the Tigers all-time HR list. Cabrera has hit 362 HRs as a Tiger [[+138 with the Marlins). The only ones still ahead of him on that list are Norm Cash with 373 and Al Kaline with 399.

Cabrera will undoubtedly soon [[well, 5 years after he retires) become the 11th player who spent a majority of his career with the Tigers to be elected to the Hall of Fame [[unless Lou Whittaker gets in there first... hoping, hoping...).

A quick nod to one of the Tigers greatest hitters, Hank Greenberg, who missed almost 5 full years of his prime due to WW2 duty.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    A quick nod to one of the Tigers greatest hitters, Hank Greenberg, who missed almost 5 full years of his prime due to WW2 duty.
    And is still 4th on the all-time Tigers home run list with 306.

Thank you Marlin Miggy!

Let’s not forget that Gary Sheffield just missed hitting his 500th during his two seasons here.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...heffga01.shtml

Thank you, Lowell, for noting Gary Sheffield as another former Tiger who is in the 500 Home Run Club! I knew that they had mentioned two former Tigers.

It's been interesting to see all the ways that Miggy's 500th HR put him in good standing with other greats of the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Let’s not forget that Gary Sheffield just missed hitting his 500th during his two seasons here.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...heffga01.shtml
    Damn, I forgot both that Sheffield played for the Tigers and that he somehow managed to hit over 500 HRs. He came and went during the time when I was out of the area. But I should have remembered his time here, since the Tigers were still paying off the horrible contract they gave him until a couple of years ago.

Interestingly, Miggy has played almost the exact same number of games as Sheffield. Miggy has played 2556 and Sheffield played 2576.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Eddie Matthews is the only other member of the 500 homer club to have ever played for the Tigers. Other than that though, I'm not sure why he has much place in the discussion about Miggy, since Eddie barely played for the Tigers at the tail end of a career spent mostly in Milwaukee.

In a Tigers context, a much better discussion would be about the 2 players who are still ahead of the great Cabrera on the Tigers all-time HR list. Cabrera has hit 362 HRs as a Tiger [[+138 with the Marlins). The only ones still ahead of him on that list are Norm Cash with 373 and Al Kaline with 399.

Cabrera will undoubtedly soon [[well, 5 years after he retires) become the 11th player who spent a majority of his career with the Tigers to be elected to the Hall of Fame [[unless Lou Whittaker gets in there first... hoping, hoping...).
    Talk about a injustice. Whittaker should have went in with Trammell.