Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2021 Dream Cruise

I don't think there's a lot of interest on this forum regarding the cruise, but I think It's worth pointing out that in my estimation, it was very well attended. It seemed that interest had started to wane a bit in the last 2 years cruises before Covid. My knee jerk reaction is it was really busy this year.

It was nice! I attended a private D-Cruise party in the area so managed around big crowds taking the back roads about Ferny and Royal Oak.

I saw a long brigade of Chevy Camaro's at one point. So much nicer than the current offerings that I hear are too lightweight for real racing. Nicer still to see how many vintage/ classic cars that cruised Woodward into Detroit and enthusiasts with their cars about Palmer Park and nearby areas.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-21 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I don't think there's a lot of interest on this forum regarding the cruise, but I think It's worth pointing out that in my estimation, it was very well attended. It seemed that interest had started to wane a bit in the last 2 years cruises before Covid. My knee jerk reaction is it was really busy this year.
    There are a lot of people attend the cruise from Ontario who obviously couldn't this year. In addition, people from neighboring states may just be staying closer to home during the pandemic. These types of events, like the auto show, do need to find some new ideas to keep interest high as they mature. That said, I think the cruise is on much safer ground than the auto show.

The cruise practically self-organizes, unlike the auto show.
    I can easily see it continuing into the forseeable future.

Only risk I can imagine would be were it to become considered "unruly" enough the regulars stop going, or it becomes over-policed / over-regulated / shut down. Like has happened to some 4th of July fireworks displays. Let's hope not!
    Last edited by bust; August-23-21 at 03:24 PM.

I truly believe gearheads should have their fun. Really! However, as a non-gearhead, as long as my car gets me from point "A" to point "B" and back, I couldn't care less.

Take your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ...as long as my car gets me from point "A" to point "B" and back, I couldn't care less
    Couldn't agree more.
    I care about our effect on the environment.
    ICE are Earth's biggest source of greenhouse gases.
    [Haven't owned one for yeeears.
    [Ray, may I distract shots from you?]]

Some are museum pieces, to be driven in the Cruise,
    Some more ordinary, still very handy,
    Should not burn gas anymore.
    Capitalism must be decisive;
    Aim for our future.

Altruists, optimists, scientists, innovators: The best inventors.
    They get us there.

Optimistic altruists:
    Square one.
    Last edited by bust; August-23-21 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The cruise practically self-organizes, unlike the auto show.
    I can easily see it continuing into the forseeable future.

Only risk I can imagine would be were it to become considered "unruly" enough the regulars stop going, or it becomes over-policed / over-regulated / shut down. Like has happened to some 4th of July fireworks displays. Let's hope not!
    It seemed to me like there was significantly LESS police presence this year then in previous years. I can remember police from departments all over the state, and I think I can remember some out of state departments being here some years. I didn’t see that this time around.

Why haven't the Dream Cruise reached down to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why haven't the Dream Cruise reached down to Detroit?
    From what I gather... the 1950s and 1960s when the golden cruise era was at its' height, the cruise area was just Woodward north of 8 Mile, where burger joints, drive-in restaurants and cruise places were prevalent. South of 8 Mile, not so much.

They tried...

Back in 2014, there was an effort to draw the WDC down Woodward into Detroit.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2014/08/16/hundreds-pack-palmer-park-in-detroits-unofficial-dream-cruise/14184631/

And since the State Fairgrounds parking lot is no longer available for the Cruise, there's little Cruise action below 9 Mile Rd.

More better than the Trump Dream Cruise last year. I'm glad I didn't go.

^^^ Trump dream cruise? What? He stopped by in a Hummer?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-21 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From what I gather... the 1950s and 1960s when the golden cruise era was at its' height, the cruise area was just Woodward north of 8 Mile, where burger joints, drive-in restaurants and cruise places were prevalent. South of 8 Mile, not so much.
    Not totally true. At Nevada and Woodward there was a small drive in called Ted’s. This was referred to as Little Ted’s and the neighborhood gearheads hung out their.

These were not Daddies cars like new muscle cars from the factory. These were cars built from junkyard scrap and a few add on race parts and would go out and challenge the rich kids on north Woodward all the way out to Big Ted’s on Square Lake.

Nope, the Dream is over. It started to peter out a couple of years ago and now the crash is happening. People, especially younger folk, really don't give a "F" about this event -- old polluting jalopies and old farts trying desperately to feel relevant in a world where they are totally outmoded.

The times, they are a changin'

I stayed behind this time around. Attendance was drastically down from previous years. People used to start "cruising" at least a week before and it was tough to get around town. This year, no issues traveling full speed on cruise days to get where I needed to go and barely anyone on Friday night -- this has never happened before. Further, there was always, always a "hangover" with dopes still riding their phallics around town Sunday morning through the evening.

Medians were basically empty except closer to downtown Ferndale. 13 / Woodward was and always will be a mess. I noticed last year the TFG crew would hit the turnaround just south of 696 and head back up north -- guess something about Ferndale they don't like. There was no TFG DB crew in town that I saw -- not even that abortion truck idiot.

The most noise we had this year in my area [[Baseline / M-1) was the f--ing OC Burchard Gang [[Oakland County Deputy pigs) banking their helicopter over our house for the first half of Saturday. Perhaps it was the multiple middle fingers I gave; perhaps they noticed it wasn't busy at all -- who knows for sure I'm just glad they took their joyride someplace else <-- what a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    More better than the Trump Dream Cruise last year. I'm glad I didn't go.
    Why did you have to bring up that name? That's like cursing to me. It was peaceful here, now his uncouth supporters are going to weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Nope, the Dream is over. It started to peter out a couple of years ago and now the crash is happening. People, especially younger folk, really don't give a "F" about this event -- old polluting jalopies and old farts trying desperately to feel relevant in a world where they are totally outmoded.

I stayed behind this time around. Attendance was drastically down from previous years. People used to start "cruising" at least a week before and it was tough to get around town. This year, no issues traveling full speed on cruise days to get where I needed to go and barely anyone on Friday night -- this has never happened before. Further, there was always, always a "hangover" with dopes still riding their phallics around town Sunday morning through the evening.

Medians were basically empty except closer to downtown Ferndale. 13 / Woodward was and always will be a mess. I noticed last year the TFG crew would hit the turnaround just south of 696 and head back up north -- guess something about Ferndale they don't like. There was no TFG DB crew in town that I saw -- not even that abortion truck idiot.

The most noise we had this year in my area [[Baseline / M-1) was the f--ing OC Burchard Gang [[Oakland County Deputy pigs) banking their helicopter over our house for the first half of Saturday. Perhaps it was the multiple middle fingers I gave; perhaps they noticed it wasn't busy at all -- who knows for sure I'm just glad they took their joyride someplace else <-- what a waste of taxpayer dollars.
    Are you serious? The Dream Cruise will continue for years to come. It's not going anywhere because of the revenue it brings in to all the communities that participate. I went this year, and it was as crowded as it's ever been. Don't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about unless you're just trolling....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-27-21 at 01:09 AM.

You and I must have attended different Dream Cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    You and I must have attended different Dream Cruises.
    People just see what they want to see, and ignore what they don't want to see.

Having lived in Royal Oak, just 1 1/2 blocks off Woodward, in the 13/Woodward area for the last 26 years, I can say that there were less people at the Cruise on Saturday than in past years. Our block is usually parked up by 10am, both sides completely full. But this year, only 1/3 of the block was ever parked up at any given time across the day.

On Saturday morning, I drove the route down to the State Fairgrounds up to Wide Track Drive in Pontiac and back down. Used to get bogged down in traffic once I hit Maple but this year it was smooth sailing with nary a slowdown.

Also noticed as I walked up Woodward from 13 Mile Rd up to Normandy and back around noon on Saturday that there weren't as many people. It used to be wall-to-wall people! This might be due in part to no DC events in the new Woodward Corners and much less activity in the old Pasquale's parking lot.

Also....
    ...Medians were basically empty except closer to downtown Ferndale.
    Only Ferndale allows people to sit in the medians.

Pretty sure there were less people attending Friday evening's Car Parade in Berkley. Still a fun time with the cars, the music, the kid's activities, and the food.

Covid still took its toll on traveling and no where near as many people came from around the country and in past years around the world.

The event will be bigger then ever in the future

I completely forgot about the cruise and tried to go to a bakery on Maple in Birmingham around 11AM. Maple wasn't that busy, but Woodward was clearly *very* busy. Later that night we were coming back from the Clarkston area down Telegraph. Traffic on Telegraph and Square Lake was very heavy, and Waze said Woodward was completely jammed up through Pontiac.

I'm thinking there was relatively less traffic during the day, and more at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Having lived in Royal Oak, just 1 1/2 blocks off Woodward, in the 13/Woodward area for the last 26 years, I can say that there were less people at the Cruise on Saturday than in past years. Our block is usually parked up by 10am, both sides completely full. But this year, only 1/3 of the block was ever parked up at any given time across the day.

On Saturday morning, I drove the route down to the State Fairgrounds up to Wide Track Drive in Pontiac and back down. Used to get bogged down in traffic once I hit Maple but this year it was smooth sailing with nary a slowdown.

Also noticed as I walked up Woodward from 13 Mile Rd up to Normandy and back around noon on Saturday that there weren't as many people. It used to be wall-to-wall people! This might be due in part to no DC events in the new Woodward Corners and much less activity in the old Pasquale's parking lot.

Also....

Only Ferndale allows people to sit in the medians.

Pretty sure there were less people attending Friday evening's Car Parade in Berkley. Still a fun time with the cars, the music, the kid's activities, and the food.
    There may have been less people than in the past. But that is mostly due to Covid. I was basically responding to Baseline Punk's assessment the Dream Cruise is losing steam and will be a thing of the past in a few years. Nothing could be more farther from the truth. Gearheads will continue to attend for years to come.

It's impossible to use these past two years as any basis for comparison without factoring in COVID. See you next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    There may have been less people than in the past. But that is mostly due to Covid. I was basically responding to Baseline Punk's assessment the Dream Cruise is losing steam and will be a thing of the past in a few years. Nothing could be more farther from the truth. Gearheads will continue to attend for years to come.
    Agreed that COVID is the primary reason for less people attending the Cruise, both spectators and cruisers/classic car owners. There were far fewer classic cars on the road or parked this year. I know that Cruise will carry on for years and decades to come, but as a non-gearhead but one that loves the history and the styling of the cars, especially pre-1960, I have just not seen a whole lot that excites me in the last several years. This year I found just a handful of cars I had not seen before. Some cars I have seen every year for the last two decades. Need some new classic car blood!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast