Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Speed-Humps/ Bumps Installed in the city for Traffic 'Calming'...

Like them or hate them they are here to stay! Per link below article photo this is the preferred style IMO when you have a wide street. Speed Hump/ Bumps seem to vary as they're rolling out across the city.

I have a friend living in the Orleans, Seven mile area with two on her very narrow street. You nearly need a Humvee to transact them: very high/ long extending. My sedan while not that low, under-carriage scrapes no matter how slowly I go over them. They are like mountains!

Heaven help anyone w/ actual ground affect styling on their car [I don't]!

The installed humps in my neighborhood [near Mid-town] are lower. I can go over them easily with the various cars I drive. Not sure what the variance in style/ height is about: some made in a manner that slows 'calms' the speed vs. others that function like an inverse POT HOLE!?

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/de...raffic-calming

https://detroitmi.gov/news/city-anno...65-miles-roads
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-21 at 09:44 AM.

I hate when you come upon them without seeing them. At least with the stripes, you don't miss them. I often find them unpainted in our area.

Can anyone explain why they are all so different? On some streets they are higher and more noticeable with yellow markings, but on others they are hardly visible and not so high and do not seem to be much of deterrent to drivers who don't even bother to stop at the stop signs or even slow down when crossing over them.

I know in my east side neighborhood, they did some testing with the yellow ones. When they deployed them neighborhood wide though they went with the asphalt ones with white paint.

They have been extremely effective so far. I just have to get used to driving them every day.

The first time I drove over one of these new speed humps was a rude awakening! Didn't even notice the warning sign off to the side.

But I am all for them slowing down traffic in neighborhoods.

Great urban ideal, that will slow down those speeders.

If those speed bumps are not glued down they will be stolen soon enough.

It only takes once for locals to know they're there. That's 90-99% of drivers of local roads. As for the other 1-10%, it should only take once for them too.
    Last edited by bust; August-23-21 at 06:38 PM.

It's not exactly a speed bump but I once watched someone drive the wrong way over one of these and it shredded all four tires.

That's some pretty severe parking enforcement right there!

These signs were posted:
    Name:  5-MPH-DO-NOT-BACK-UP3.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  64.5 KB
    Name:  WRONG-WAY-SIDE-SEVERE-TIRE-DAMAGE2.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  61.2 KB

I hesitate even before I drive over those correctly.
    Good signage is a MUST.
    [These are very good.]
    Last edited by bust; August-23-21 at 06:19 PM.

All I know is that I do not want one directly in front of my house or our lot with the driveway. It's already a high traffic street, with cars coming down at some points every 5-10 seconds. With the music blasting from a lot of cars, I would not feel comfortable with that loud noise directly in front of my house.

Now, I'm not saying put it in front of my neighbors house. On the street that I live on my house used to be the sixth house from the corner. Now it is the last house before you get to the corner on the west side of the street. Across from me once stood 13 houses, that are all gone now. My nearest neighbor to my north is five lots away [[no more houses there). So they can put speed humps two lots to my north or two lots to my south. However if the city puts one directly in front of my house, then it's going to be an issue. Anyone know who I can talk to in order to dissuade them from doing this? Other than that, I'm ok with speed humps.

They have some in my old neighborhood by Clark School - on Buckingham and Balfour as well, both between Bremen and Waveney. Gotta go slow over them or you ruin your suspension.

Drifting joyrider crashes into gas pump in Detroit
    A man’s attempt at drifting at a Detroit gas station ends in a fiery crash at the BP on Joy Road.

Yes, as in my initial post there are a few on the east side where they were working out the technology that are extremely HIGH - like a moat darn near! My muffler long pipe and bottom scrapes no matter how careful I am. Whoa to the speed-maniac flooring their peddle!

I guess I'll not be visiting that friend when I drive that car. The humps here on the west side are lower, gridded style. Like more modern yet effective to slow down the reckless, careless drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    They have some in my old neighborhood by Clark School - on Buckingham and Balfour as well, both between Bremen and Waveney. Gotta go slow over them or you ruin your suspension.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-21 at 07:54 AM.

They ought to make Chrysler [[or Stellantis) pay for all of them.

I'd like to see a surcharge on the price of every car that increases for every mph it is capable of driving over 85, and by more for each additional mph -- except when purchased by law enforcement, the military, and other necessary uses.

Let car companies keep making them but people who buy them for no good reason should contribute their fair share to offset the extra costs they cause for the rest of us: property damage, injuries, loss of life, insurance rates, pollution, etc..

Meanwhile, the car companies should have to do their part too by bringing the average fuel efficiency up on their full range overall, as has become law.
    Last edited by bust; August-27-21 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, as in my initial post there are a few on the east side where they were working out the technology that are extremely HIGH - like a moat darn near! My muffler long pipe and bottom scrapes no matter how careful I am. Whoa to the speed-maniac flooring their peddle!
    Zacha341.... just how high are some of those speed bumps??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Zacha341.... just how high are some of those speed bumps??
    Good one !!

^ I hear that! It's the speed bumps on those already narrow streets such a Mitchell, Klinger, Wexford that cross E. Seven Mile, near Ryan Road.

The street DIPS DOWN a bit right before you get to the actual hump. Crazy. Poorly made: like a black asphalt, tar or whatever 'dump'!

Not liked the grooved, graduated ones near my home. Not a good time.

Perhaps they were figuring out HOW to apply the humps in that area. Good that they worked it out by the time they got over here!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-28-21 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ I hear that! It's the speed bumps on those already narrow streets such a Mitchell, Klinger, Wexford that cross E. Seven Mile, near Ryan Road.

The street DIPS DOWN a bit right before you get to the actual hump. Crazy. Poorly made: like a black asphalt, tar or whatever 'dump'!

Not liked the grooved, graduated ones near my home. Not a good time.

Perhaps they were figuring out HOW to apply the humps in that area. Good that they worked it out by the time they got over here!
    What's even worse are the speed bumps on Stockton Ave, behind the housing projects. Not only are you dodging deep potholes but you also have speedbumps and broken glass. Why is the city is putting speed bumps on streets that are filled with potholes? It makes no sense!

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I'd like to see a surcharge on the price of every car that increases for every mph it is capable of driving over 85, and by more for each additional mph -- except when purchased by law enforcement, the military, and other necessary uses.

Let car companies keep making them but people who buy them for no good reason should contribute their fair share to offset the extra costs they cause for the rest of us: property damage, injuries, loss of life, insurance rates, pollution, etc..

Meanwhile, the car companies should have to do their part too by bringing the average fuel efficiency up on their full range overall, as has become law.
    This is a pretty good point. People will whine about their freedoms, but if you can't legally operate the vehicle at that speed then why do we make vehicles capable of such fast speeds? We've seen so much death and destruction on our streets at the hand of these stupid sports cars. Bust's proposal would still allow people to purchase these silly-fast cars but force them to pay for the danger they create.

I'm older and wiser and I simply don't speed anymore. If my car was incapable of going above 75mph I simply wouldn't notice it at all. Capping it at 80 or 85 would have zero impact on me.

Start ticketing noise violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Start ticketing noise violations.
    I see you're off to quite an early start with your jokes this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I see you're off to quite an early start with your jokes this morning.

Hard to sleep when there's a parade of constant loud and or exhaustless vehicles all night long. No joke.

Well, the bumps finally made it to my street. A street not even having the 'fast and furious' speed maniacs. Alas, here we go: more adaptation for the masses in response to the few. Check the box.

At least they are the not high-over, deep-dive mote style things like off E. Seven and Orleans and other areas of the city.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-02-21 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast