Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who Gets Pulled Over and Ticketed in Detroit These Days?

I was sitting near the DIA and saw an elderly lady, maybe 60's, get pulled over. I saw that she really didn't make a complete stop before turning right on the red. I saw that she DID get a ticket. Maybe for that, maybe for something else. Who knows.

But before I saw the cop give her a ticket, a group of 10-15 motorcycles and four wheelers were driving crazy in all lanes and in and out of traffic, obviously with no license plates and no insurance, which I'm guessing weren't street-legal to begin with, and passed this lady and the cop. About 30 seconds after that, two Dodge Chargers squealed the tires at Woodward and Warren and were probably doing 60 going north on Woodward as they passed the cop and this lady. I'm thinking to myself... if you're an outlaw and do crazy shit on illegal motorcycles or four-wheelers you're OK. If you have a hotrod fast car, squeal the tires, terrorize the streets, etc. you're OK. But if you are the run-of-the-mill citizen...you get a ticket. Sucks...but I guess that's how it is in Detroit these days. The lawlessness this summer is CRAZY!!!!!

Law enforcement should keep a record of the demographics of the people they stop. In some jurisdictions they do.
    This is not my area of expertise but I can recollect only data that prove elderly ladies are definitely not disproportionally stopped.
    Meanwhile I would like an end to the menace of genuinely dangerous drivers too.
    Last edited by bust; August-20-21 at 07:39 PM.

It’s Reno 911 Detroit. Cops don’t want to mess with criminals. Can you blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    I was sitting near the DIA and saw an elderly lady, maybe 60's, get pulled over. I saw that she really didn't make a complete stop before turning right on the red. I saw that she DID get a ticket. Maybe for that, maybe for something else. Who knows.

But before I saw the cop give her a ticket, a group of 10-15 motorcycles and four wheelers were driving crazy in all lanes and in and out of traffic, obviously with no license plates and no insurance, which I'm guessing weren't street-legal to begin with, and passed this lady and the cop. About 30 seconds after that, two Dodge Chargers squealed the tires at Woodward and Warren and were probably doing 60 going north on Woodward as they passed the cop and this lady. I'm thinking to myself... if you're an outlaw and do crazy shit on illegal motorcycles or four-wheelers you're OK. If you have a hotrod fast car, squeal the tires, terrorize the streets, etc. you're OK. But if you are the run-of-the-mill citizen...you get a ticket. Sucks...but I guess that's how it is in Detroit these days. The lawlessness this summer is CRAZY!!!!!

Same thing happened to my neighbor, she's near 70. He pulled her over for "running a red light ". I Just happened to be going in the opposite direction and saw the whole thing. There's no way the DPD can catch the muscle cars or motorcycles. They still have to make monthly quota so they grab the low hanging fruit.

Yea soft targets

In places like Minneapolis they have stopped pulling people over if they are not considered a danger.

So now

expired plates
    Suspended license
    none working lights signals etc.
    If you run from them and go the wrong way against traffic,they will terminate the chase,they will not chase unless it involves a major felony.

No longer applies.

In Fla the highway patrol is the only agency that tracks the demographics of those pulled over.

Keep in mind we have window tint where you cannot see what race the driver is in the first place.Kinda makes the whole DWB argument moot.

They only found 3 cases where African Americans were pulled over at a larger number,those the cases involved members of the drug task force that were working in a majority African American community.

It’s the same anywhere,police will not respond or will hours later,cannot really blame them,they are only doing what the public demanded and we reap what we sow,crime is up 400% in some cities.

Police SUVs max out at 136 mph so most feel they can outrun them,but they are starting to use drones to follow.

Its you responsibility to protect yourself,so you have to do what you gotta do.
    Last edited by Richard; August-20-21 at 11:28 PM.

Police tased that little criminal off his four wheeler when we ran a few years back, and now his family are millionares off the back of the taxpayer. I assume that's why there is no attempt to stop them anymore.

The de-fund the police set are now reaping what they've sewn. Personally I would love to see police tamp down on the ATVs ripping through the streets by any means nessacary.

My pet peeve are the people on motorcycles and in muscle cars weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds, missing other drivers by inches, either trying to make headway or chasing each other. [for some damn reason]. They're endangering life and property.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-21-21 at 12:21 PM.

My peeve is the deafening volume from motorcycles and muscle cars. I'd like to see speed detectors replaced by decibel detectors.

I agree on both points. I refer to it as being a pylon in their personal stock car race. Don't even think this goes on everywhere. If you don't get pulled over, you'll get your tickets in the mail New York City/Portland style. I used to be opposed to such technology, but not anymore. It's a new era of idiots.

As for Lowell's comment, 16 Mile East of Gratiot to the Lake now appears to be the biker's dragstrip. It goes on all night long. Pretty crazy too, because I see lots of deer crossing that road at all hours, and their carcasses being picked up every morning. I"ve got a feeling electric Harleys and pocket rockets are going to be a tough sell for another generation or so, but it 'sounds' good to me.
    Last edited by Bong-Man; August-21-21 at 11:46 AM.

Was it DPD or WSU Public Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post

DPD has a "no pursuit" policy: the muppets on ATV's, scooters, motorcycles, go karts, Chargers and Challengers know that and use it to their advantage.

"Members may only initiate or participate in a vehicle pursuit where there is probable cause to believe the suspect comitted a violent felony."

I got a ticket mid-January for having too much snow on the plate. Even said my ins and reg was bad- went TO the precinct, confronted him, AND showed proof. Then the magistrate failed to report me as present at court hearing- then state said we're taking your license- I panicked and paid, fearing rise of insurance. Out $350 for nothing!
    Last edited by Pontiac6000; August-21-21 at 06:46 PM.

Lmao people complaining about the bare minimum being done in law enforcement.

Only in Detroit.

^ Of course they should complain about the bare minimum! They deserve better than that.

In St. Clair Shores where I live 911 emergency calls are answered in about 3 minutes. Should Detroit be happy if it's 1/2 hour? I don't think so.

And as for speeders on Detroit streets... the city is adding about 3,000 "speed humps" to residential streets. This has been going on for a few years, and installations are in high gear this year...

https://www.wxyz.com/news/whats-a-sp...hDnqV08peuWrXM

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post

Only in Detroit.
    actually it shows progress,if people did not care they would not say anything,if they did not say anything,then there really would not be much hope in the city.

It reminds me of the expats meet down here,they go on forever about how horrible Detroit is and that’s why they left,I tell them it is not even close to what it was when they left,you guys think my posts are bad here,be thankful you are not around when I am not restricted by little tiny letters typed on a tiny screen.

They get a ear full,sometimes you have to let the past go and give credit where credit is due.

Every day is a new day and progress comes in many forms.

These are community issues affecting every city in the county,it needs to be dealt with on a country wide basis,until everybody stands up and says enough is enough,we are going to have to deal with it.

It does not matter if or where you move,it is everywhere.
    Last edited by Richard; August-22-21 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRiordan View Post
    Detroit has 63 times the amount of crime and probably dispatches more runs in a day than SCS does in a year. Residents can't afford the type of taxes needed to hire the same ratio of officers to residents. As it stands now, DPD's allocation is around 17% of the city's total budget.
    You missed my point. I was not trying to say that they should strive for what we have, but not be satisfied with the "anything is better than nothing so we shouldn't complain" mentality. Sadly Detroit's legacy costs still hamper getting more bang for for their tax dollars.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-22-21 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ Of course they should complain about the bare minimum! They deserve better than that.

In St. Clair Shores where I live 911 emergency calls are answered in about 3 minutes. Should Detroit be happy if it's 1/2 hour? I don't think so.

And as for speeders on Detroit streets... the city is adding about 3,000 "speed humps" to residential streets. This has been going on for a few years, and installations are in high gear this year...

https://www.wxyz.com/news/whats-a-sp...hDnqV08peuWrXM

The difference between SCS and Detroit is some people's attitude. There are people in my neighborhood that want a good, safe place to live and strive to make it happen. Then there are others who'll take advantage of any chance they can.
    As far as the speed "humps", it's a two way street. [I made a funny] Yes, they do seem to deter people driving through the neighborhood at a fast pace, but then it becomes a total PITA for residents to get in and out of the neighborhood. You want to go to the store and you're dealing with constant stop and go. It gets old quickly. With Winter coming, I don't know how they're going to deal with snow removal. But since very little of that happens anyway, I guess it's a non-issue. I've been looking at living in SCS as a possible place to relocate to. If I moved into your neighborhood, we could hang out.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-22-21 at 08:00 AM.

Speed humps were installed on my street earlier this year.

If nobody were going anything over 25 miles per hour
    before then, definitely the speed humps would be a total
    PITA by bringing everyone down to 5 mph instead of a
    reasonable 25 miles per hour.

But that was not the prior case. People going 25 mph or
    less were actually a minority of drivers on the street.

Most people were traveling at 30 to 35 miles per hour and a
    very significant minority traveled at 40 mph or more. I very
    much know this because I would travel at 25 mph and many
    other drivers would not allow a respectful two and a half
    car lengths of distance behind me when I was doing this.
    A few would go at much higher speeds in the middle of
    the night and total cars parked on the street.

Given that some people were not driving on the street as
    though their children or their parked cars lived there,
    HEARTFELT THANKS to all those who arranged for and
    installed the speed humps on my street. 5 mph is a
    small price to pay for the benefits of safety and for
    some neighbors to have a car that can take them
    to work in the morning.

If you and all of your neighbors nearby feel that your
    speed humps were installed on your street by mistake,
    get together, make a group complaint to your local
    government representatives. Request to have the
    humps removed.
    Last edited by Dumpling; August-22-21 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've been looking at living in SCS as a possible place to relocate to. If I moved into your neighborhood, we could hang out.
    Oh wow!! I'll have to sharpen my lawn darts so we can play a game if/when you move here...

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Was it DPD or WSU Public Safety?
    They are the same. WSU Public Safety, like UDM Public Safety, are Detroit cops.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post

Only in Detroit.
    Not really. I agree with those that say the police are genuinely afraid of the hard core criminals, which are those driving four wheelers and such, and ask the police why the low-hanging criminal fruit gets ticketed. They will tell you the same.

Me, once upon a time. I got'cha all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Me, once upon a time. I got'cha all.
    First two numbers on the car door indicate the year of manufacture. That's a '74 Plymouth Bel Aire. So I can only nail you from before 1974. LOL! [[Correction: Chevrolet. Thanx, all.)
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-22-21 at 06:41 PM.

Chevrolet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    First two numbers on the car door indicate the year of manufacture. That's a '74 Plymouth Bel Aire. So I can only nail you from before 1974. LOL!
    Never heard of a Plymouth Bel air,I thought that was a GM package.

I had a retired 1972 MHP MN. Plymouth Fury chase car with a HP440 for a big boat of a car,the local PD could not catch it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast