Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit condo market sees record sales as supply glut shrinks

Good news, with some clouds, from Crain's...

Detroit's condo market, which had 11 months of inventory earlier this year, is now down to 7.6 months of inventory in neighborhoods that range from downtown to areas east, north and west, according to new research from Detroit-based residential brokerage house Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices The Loft Warehouse.

That puts greater downtown on pace to have a healthy balance of supply and demand — generally considered four to six months worth of inventory — in the coming months.

The equilibrium could be short lived, however, as the costs of building materials have soared about 50 percent since February 2020, driving up construction costs and threatening to kneecap condo development projects, said Jerome Huez, owner of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices The Loft Warehouse.
    Name:  condosDetroit.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  78.9 KB

Down here our lumber prices have been dropping the last 30 days,interesting enough the mills have been stockpiled for the last 6 month’s and the price of concrete stayed the same.

I think it has been more of a case of inflation versus supply and demand,if you can,why not,people were still paying the increase in prices.

The article notes that condos at the Saint Charles development in Islandview are now closing after 16 months without a sale. That project has always seemed extremely pricey for that area.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The article notes that condos at the Saint Charles development in Islandview are now closing after 16 months without a sale. That project has always seemed extremely pricey for that area.

It is overpriced, the developers are basically stealing all the equity the homeowners would have had with increasing property values over years.

Can we just make a Detroit city general real estate talk and development thread? I feel like that would be way easier to manage and keep track of because we always have these random threads for every little thing that happens in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Can we just make a Detroit city general real estate talk and development thread? I feel like that would be way easier to manage and keep track of because we always have these random threads for every little thing that happens in the city.
    The solution is to tag threads as real estate, as I have done with this one. if you scroll below the Quick Reply box, you will see "Tags for this tread". If you click on "real estate" you will see other real estate threads that have been been tagged.

Where are the tags? I don't see any on the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Where are the tags? I don't see any on the post.
    It's not on the post. It's on the thread.

↓ Down there. ↓

On Apple mobile

Where the heading is