Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2020 Official Census Release Megathread

It should be a hoot! I got my popcorn ready.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ner/index.html

Will this data release include the Detroit population numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Will this data release include the Detroit population numbers?
    It is expected to break down which US neighborhoods, cities and counties gained or loss the most people

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    That's over 30K off from the estimate, and a 70K loss over the decade.

Not as bad as 2010, but still a pretty big discrepancy.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-12-21 at 12:51 PM.

Detroit's population 639,000!

Who's leaving the city in droves?

Personally I knew the population was going to be lower but what I want to know is if the bleeding has stopped or slowed. I don’t remember where but I believe I saw the current population decline of the city is borderline negligible.

For reference, population fell 25% from 2000 to 2010 vs. the 10.5% drop from 2010 to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Personally I knew the population was going to be lower but what I want to know is if the bleeding has stopped or slowed. I don’t remember where but I believe I saw the current population decline of the city is borderline negligible.
    639,111, a 10.5% decline from 2010's 713,777. Better than the ~25% decline from 2000 to 2010 but in no sense has the bleeding stopped. People will challenge this because of the 51% poor response rate and how Trump tried to screw over the Census, but don't hold your breath for corrected figures.

This is a guaranteed under counted figure, so everybody keep that fact in mind.

I find it funny though that even the large under assessment here is still nowhere near the doom that the Detroit trolls said the city's population would be at lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    639,111, a 10.5% decline from 2010's 713,777. Better than the ~25% decline from 2000 to 2010 but in no sense has the bleeding stopped. People will challenge this because of the 51% poor response rate and how Trump tried to screw over the Census, but don't hold your breath for corrected figures.

The bulk of this loss is dated by about ten years though since that's when the aftermath of the foreclosure crisis was in full force. It's not a reflection of today.

Right what I’m saying is I want to know where most of the bleeding was in the last ten years. I assume the vast majority of it was in the early 2010s due to the foreclosure crisis and people still wanting to leave the city, but given how many people are now moving in recently if maybe the trajectory of the cities population is leaning toward population increase as of late or close to it.

Unfortunately, census-based federal funding doesn't care about year-over-year trends. I know it was a tremendous pain to even collect a census last year, but is there a better way we can measure population than the same 10-year cycle we've used since the 1700s?

Well we could have continued the count with an extension considering there was a global crisis that prevented in person contact. I get that messes up timelines for drawing districts but we have about 2 years before midterm elections from the time counting started, there was time.

At this rate Detroit will soon be a village.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    ...is there a better way we can measure population than the same 10-year cycle we've used since the 1700s?
    First you'd have to get 2/3 of both the House and Senate, or 2/3 of the state legislatures to propose a constitutional amendment. Then get 38 states to ratify it. I don't know of any combination of 38 states that agrees on anything.

"The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years..."

It's effectively set in stone.

Duggan says the census counted 254,000 occupied households but DTE has 280,000 households in Detroit paying electric bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Well we could have continued the count with an extension considering there was a global crisis that prevented in person contact. I get that messes up timelines for drawing districts but we have about 2 years before midterm elections from the time counting started, there was time.
    No, we couldn't have, not without a US constitutional amendment. It states "Enumeration shall be...within every subsequent Term of ten Years..."

Any constitutional lawyer will tell you that the word WITHIN is key here; the counting has to be finished by the time 10 years have elapsed. I know, it sucks.

Besides, Michigan's redistricting commission looks like it will miss the state constitutionally mandated timeline for its process, even without the count extended! It's shaping up to be a huge mess, lawsuits galore.
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-12-21 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    At this rate Detroit will soon be a village.

You mean Detroit will amalgamated with the suburbs. And then the population will be 5 million.

It wont be black folks running the hoods.

I'll simply say this one was in no way accurate, by any definition of the word. It was just getting into motion when everything stopped. And the He stuck his thumb on the scales. There really needs to be a do-over, constitution or not.

For what it's worth to you genealogists, the 1950 Census information will be available to the public on March 1, 2022.

in 2010 when the count was ongoing we were still in the midst of the housing crisis. Plenty of people were victims of foreclosure through the first half of the decade. I would wager a guess that had the census been conducted in 2015 [[assuming accuracy is equal) it would be about the same as in 2020.

What will be far more telling will be the demographic numbers when they're released.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'll simply say this one was in no way accurate, by any definition of the word. It was just getting into motion when everything stopped. And the He stuck his thumb on the scales. There really needs to be a do-over, constitution or not.
    Sorry, but you can't just casually throw out sections of the Constitution because the specified task wasn't executed ideally. It doesn't say "the enumeration shall be accepted as long as lots of people aren't undercounted." The wording makes no exceptions for a poor job, or Trump meddling, or a pandemic. And I say this as a lifelong Democrat.

"constitution or not" Sounds like something Trump would say!
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-12-21 at 05:55 PM.

In June, 2021; the Census Bureau estimated that the population of the city of Detroit as of July 1, 2020 was 665,369. Today they announced that the Census 2020 population as of April 1, 2020 was 639,111. Those two numbers are strangely different. How does the Census Bureau director, Ron Jarman, explain the difference? If the city can demonstrate that there were 25,000 more occupied residential units as of April 1, 2020 than the
    Census enumerated, they will have a strong case for an adjustments.

I expected a Census 2020 count for Detroit in the 660,000 to 675,000 range.

The Census Bureau has an established procedure for challenging their counts if a city brings forth convincing evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    How does the Census Bureau director, Ron Jarman, explain the difference?
    The process wasn't fully completed. There may have been a very great number simply uncounted. It really needs to be redone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast