Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Coca-Cola bottling plant to close

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ds/8095674002/

Paging the scrappers...

5981 W. Warren, the plant opened by 1943. Apparently this is the only Coke bottling plant in metro Detroit, aside from warehouse-only operations?

Name:  Screenshot_20210811-194552~2.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  47.1 KB
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-11-21 at 06:48 PM.

Horrible, Coke is not it in Detroit anymore. Good riddance. That's why I drink Faygo.

I didn't even know we had a Coke plant...

Offer them free parking and incentives

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Horrible, Coke is not it in Detroit anymore. Good riddance. That's why I drink Faygo.
    Good riddance to all soft drink companies. Liquid poison.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Good riddance to all soft drink companies. Liquid poison.
    You could say the same thing about liquor. Moderation is the key. I don't know how many of them they bottle there, but Coca-Cola has a lot more beverages other than pop. Interestingly, Coke used to occupy part of the present Faygo plant from at least 1937 to 1959-- 3609 Gratiot, with Faygo at 3567. It seems crazy that production is being consolidated in Grand Rapids, but then Mlive prints all its papers in Cleveland!
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-12-21 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    You and me both.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    You could say the same thing about liquor. Moderation is the key. I don't know how many of them they bottle there, but Coca-Cola has a lot more beverages other than pop. Interestingly, Coke used to occupy part of the present Faygo plant from at least 1937 to 1959-- 3609 Gratiot, with Faygo at 3567. It seems crazy that production is being consolidated in Grand Rapids, but then Mlive prints all its papers in Cleveland!
    Back in those days when Dossin Food Products bottled and distributed Pepsi they were on Gratiot next door to Coca-Cola.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Zug Island, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Zug Island, no?

Then there's that beat up house at the end of the block with all the flashy cars parked around it and people coming and going all hours of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It’s not locally owned anymore,number crunchers decide to make decisions and the headquarters gets moved,then you have 2 less diversified economy options.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Back in those days when Dossin Food Products bottled and distributed Pepsi they were on Gratiot next door to Coca-Cola.
    I see that Pepsi moved out in 1960 to Highland Park, now a Towne Club plant. Free Press 10/30/59 Name:  Screenshot_20210813-104046~2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  48.3 KB

When I was a child, my family toured the Venrnors plant. One lady worker had the job of inspecting returned bottles. She threw the rejected ones against a wall where the glass fell into a bin underneath. Imagine having a job where you break pop bottles all day.

I see that Pepsi moved out in 1960 to Highland Park, now a Towne Club plant. Free Press 10/30/59 Name:  Screenshot_20210813-104046~2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  48.3 KB

Well, that's Detroit not Highland Park. But yes, Pepsi moved to John R. and State Fair area after Dossin sold the operation. Coca-Cola left the Gratiot location before Pepsi, and Pepsi took over that space that became apart of Faygo.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; August-13-21 at 11:38 AM.

hmm... They need to publicize where to apply for jobs. I'll tell a few friends in the greater Grand Rapids area.

I hope the abandoned factory gets turned into something else. Apartments, something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope the abandoned factory gets turned into something else. Apartments, something.

I drove by that building for years. It's has an interesting architecture/style to it. Was it something else before it became a Coca-Cola factory?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Well, that's Detroit not Highland Park. But yes, Pepsi moved to John R. and State Fair area after Dossin sold the operation. Coca-Cola left the Gratiot location before Pepsi, and Pepsi took over that space that became apart of Faygo.
    Sorry, I accidentally took Google Maps' claim of Highland Park at face value without actually verifying the map location. The last reference to Coke being at 3609 Gratiot in the Free Press was 5/24/59.
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-14-21 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I drove by that building for years. It's has an interesting architecture/style to it. Was it something else before it became a Coca-Cola factory?
    No, opened as a Coke plant. It reminds me of the 1941 AC Spark Plug admin building in Flint. Factories had style back then!
    Name:  Screenshot_20210814-064102~2.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  34.4 KB

No, opened as a Coke plant. It reminds me of the 1941 AC Spark Plug admin building in Flint. Factories had style back then!
    Name:  Screenshot_20210814-064102~2.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  34.4 KB

Thanks. Just saw your reply today. I guess it's the front office facade that makes me think it might have been something else in a previous life. All the factories I've been in, in my younger days, were pretty much just production facilities and their offices not much better. The Coke building looks to me like it was designed to impress. The production area must be behind it. I like the style of that building, kind of 40s "modern".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanks. Just saw your reply today. I guess it's the front office facade that makes me think it might have been something else in a previous life. All the factories I've been in, in my younger days, were pretty much just production facilities and their offices not much better. The Coke building looks to me like it was designed to impress. The production area must be behind it. I like the style of that building, kind of 40s "modern".
    It's an art deco design

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It's an art deco design
    He's designed a lot of cool things in his lifetime.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-17-21 at 10:43 PM.

I think the Coca Cola one would be referred to as Streamline Moderne where as the AC spark plug one would be more of Arts design.

Both pretty cool buildings.