Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Woolworth's

Default Woolworth's

Remember these?Name:  232969592_527108918372417_796673182623160620_n.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  104.4 KB

Yeah, and I remember the photo booths where I'd take my girlfriend to make a quick set of funny wallet pictures.

What year is this?

I remember the great lunch counter at Al Pisa Drugs, Meyers and Schoolcraft. Good chow. Then the sweetie who lived the block behind me got a job there and I started lunching there every day. Not necessarily for the chow.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    What year is this?
    My guess would be late 50's to early 60's. By the mid 60's prices were a little higher than that. You could still get the coke for 10 cents though. I remember the lady at the candy counter knew my mom casually. She would give me a little white bag with broken chocolate pieces for free.

I preferred the lunch counter at Kresge's. Mmmm... those chiliburgers, and the pop in those weird paper cones.

There was a lunch counter in the Book Cadillac as well. I think it was inside a drug store? All the men in there having a coffee & smoke while reading the paper early in the morning, [[probably while waiting for their wives to get ready.)
    Last edited by 401don; August-10-21 at 12:16 PM.

Yes, yet during the early years of Jim Crow Woolworths was NOT a spot for dining if you were black. Up thru the 50's - including up north, here.

My parents [migrating from the south] recounted their top-of-mind, southern experiences of the 'treatment' - recalling valiant sit-ins they participated to change that. I liked the grilled-cheese by the time I was going as a kid. Simple fair - white bread [who was eating wheat in the seventies?], yet so yummy! Three dollars could buy quite a bit! With pop galore. Or was that soda?!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-10-21 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There was a lunch counter in the Book Cadillac as well. I think it was inside a drug store? All the men in there having a coffee & smoke while reading the paper early in the morning, [[probably while waiting for their wives to get ready.)
    Wasn't that a Shapero's drug store in the Book Cadillac? Or was it a Schettler's, another slightly 'upscale' drug store chain in the Cunningham drug family? I remember eating breakfast several times at the Shapero's in the First National building back when my dad had an office across the street. Pretty darn good, with fresh orange juice too.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-10-21 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Wasn't that a Shapero's drug store in the Book Cadillac? Or was it a Schettler's, another slightly 'upscale' drug store chain in the Cunningham drug family?
    In one of those drug stores I had my first experience of air conditioning. We didn't have it at home or in school. Also, I remember air conditioning on Greyhound buses.

Sander's had decent food, too. With added bonus of their ice cream and cake deserts.

I'm wondering if that Woolworth's menu is fake. Some of the typography has a too-modern look.

Shapero's was the Book Cadillac drugstore.

The Woolworth lunch counter where the civil rights movement started has been restored to original conditions and on display in Greensboro NC at the International Civil Rights museum.
    https://youtu.be/GJEG4dUTYeY?list=TL...HXExMTA4MjAyMQ
    Last edited by Wheels; August-11-21 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The Woolworth lunch counter where the civil rights movement started has been restored to original conditions and on display in Greensboro NC at the International Civil Rights museum.
    https://youtu.be/GJEG4dUTYeY?list=TL...HXExMTA4MjAyMQ
    Very interesting Wheels... I had never heard of this museum. But they mention a 1960 date as when the "lunch counter" incident happened.

From everything I have read, the civil rights movement started in 1955 when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery Alabama. The HENRY FORD had purchased the bus at auction, after outbidding the Smithsonian. This was in 2001, and the then decrepit bus was restored, and is on display in Dearborn.

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore...osa-parks-bus/

So I guess it depends how you interpret "how the civil rights movement first started".

But it is very cool how they preserved an old Woolworth's and turned it into a civil rights museum.

Woolworth's still exists...its called...are you ready...Foot Locker.

Name:  Candy-4.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  128.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Sander's had decent food, too. With added bonus of their ice cream and cake deserts.

^^^Wow! Look at those prices. Ten dollars now can barely get a basic burger, small fries and a small pop at Mikey D's.

And prices are only going up, UP and away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It's interesting how tastes have changed in the last 60-70 years... Sanders has such tasty items such as Lima Bean or Cream of Corn Soup... Turkey Liver & Egg or American Cheese Sandwiches...

"NO TIPPING, PLEASE"

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^Wow! Look at those prices. Ten dollars now can barely get a basic burger, small fries and a small pop at Mikey D's.

I don't know how old that menu is, but keep in mind that $0.50 in July 1955 is about equivalent to $5.11 in July 2021.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's interesting how tastes have changed in the last 60-70 years... Sanders has such tasty items such as Lima Bean or Cream of Corn Soup... Turkey Liver & Egg or American Cheese Sandwiches...
    you can still buy Campbell's Cream of Corn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

But then the median annual family income in the US in 1960, the year that menu is from, was $5,600.

Loved the Sanders tuna sandwich with celery, went to the Sanders on E. Jefferson between Chalmers and Lakewood often when I was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Loved the Sanders tuna sandwich with celery, went to the Sanders on E. Jefferson between Chalmers and Lakewood often when I was growing up.
    Yum.... along with water in a cone with a chrome cone holder.

I went to the Mack-7 Shopping Center Sander's... but the same sandwich. Here's a photo of the grand opening of that plaza in 1955... wish it were higher resolution... because one of those stores on the left, or just outside this image, was Sanders....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From everything I have read, the civil rights movement started in 1955 when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery Alabama.
    Wasn't there just a thread here a couple of weeks ago about another bus lady in the city, sometime early than that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast