Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2021 Detroit Lions

The putty tats are back and I hope they are in an attack. Let's see what Jared Goff can throw since Bad Luck Stafford went to L.A. and became a Ram.

Let's see Alex Anzalone, Michael Brockers and others prospects can defend.

Let's see Randy Bullock, Taylor Decker and other special teams can be special.

Otherwise they might be the the same ole' Lions carrying a Bobby Lane Curse.

9-5 with a wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The putty tats are back...
    Whatever happened to Jim Caldwell? He was the last guy capable of coaching a winning team. This year 4-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Whatever happened to Jim Caldwell? He was the last guy capable of coaching a winning team. This year 4-12.
    You and Danny both have a better chance at your predictions if you include all the games in the schedule.

Jim Caldwell "couldn't get the Lions over the top" so they went with the self-proclaimed smartest person in the room and got burned. Bad results, and its pretty clear he was not popular in the locker room with the players.

Talk is cheap, but Dan Campbell seems to be energetic and a player's coach. They're in a little bit of a rebuilding process post-Stafford, but I would hope to see some progress from the demoralized Lions teams of the past few years. I don't think we sniff the playoffs, but hopefully we build for the future.

Generally I stick to 8 and 8 for Lions preseason predictions. I think that this year, Vegas has them at 5.5 wins. They’re usually very smart and I’m not. I hope they might be better then that, I’m going to go with 7 and 10. I’m tempted to chose 8 and 9.
    I think that 2nd game of the season, Monday night against the Packers will be big for the organization.

Quit the NFL when they all took a knee.

The Lions have a huge hole to fill on offense this year and his name is Matt - no not Stafford, Prater.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Quit the NFL when they all took a knee.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Derek Chauvin took a knee. So we should all quit the cops?

Looking at 7-10 or 8-9.

After reading about our new Coach's caffeine intake, the gnawing on kneecaps becomes more believable. While reading about the new NFL taunting rules, I couldn't help but think we'll lose a game or two because of them.

No idea how Goff will play, but if he gets injured early we'll struggle to win 4-5 games. "Gnawing on knees" below the waist is a penalty, so I'll predict we'll reflect our coach and be an undisciplined team.

Our best chance at anything will be if we establish a running game, but that's always a pipe dream. 4-13 or 5-12, and the 5th pick in the draft in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. Derek Chauvin took a knee. So we should all quit the cops?
    Good point!

Can't believe in a interview yesterday, he said Quinntricia did a good job last year with the team and players. Caffeine overload detected. I also can't believe the Cleveland Browns hired Quinn as a advisor while still getting paid by the Lions. Life is good for some...

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post

Looking at 7-10 or 8-9.
    Chauvin's knee doesn't count. Neither does Tim Tebow's.

One player [[Williams) that spoke against the Covid-19 vaccine now has Covid & quarantined on the protocol, another [[Dunbar) is absent & supposedly dealing with his armed robbery mess. Yep, same ole/same ole. . . ...Go SOL's!

BTW: No sign of any kneecaps bitten?

BTW2: Agree w/4 or 5 wins max, ranked 31st.

Same ole' Lions, still keep the game close in their first night of the pre-season.

Bills 16
    Lions 15

Bills game winning field Goal

And Goff goofed on some passes. But did ok.

Let's try to keep the blocking, defense going and increase the offensive, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Chauvin's knee doesn't count. Neither does Tim Tebow's.
    Those two knees cancel each other out for a net zero.

So far Dan Campbell’s Lions look like the same old sad sack incompetent losers.

Same ole kitty cats!

PITTSBURGH 26
    LIONS 20

I hate close games! It least Goff is relaxing.

The Bobby Layne Curse continues.

By the way Layne played with the Steelers after he got booted out from the Lions.
    Last edited by Danny; August-22-21 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    So far Dan Campbell’s Lions look like the same old sad sack incompetent losers.
    Of course! They are not confident to win games.

These guys aren't going to the playoffs. They're not going to win a lot of games this year. In the last few years, they disappointed because those things were the expectation and they came nowhere clear. But if people are going to sit around and judge them to that standard this year, it's really not fair. They've been very clear from the moment they fired Quinn and Patricia that they need to start over.

This year the goals are different:

1) Find out if Jarred Goff is your QB or not. They have four first round picks in the next two seasons. The strategy on how they use them is 100% tied to what Goff does this year.

2) Figure out what players they inherited can play and get rid of the rest. Guys like Jeff Okudah, Tracy Walker, Will Harris, D'Andre Swift, D'Shawn Hand, Amani Oruwariye, Austin Bryant, and others.

3) Start building the rookies now. Usually with rookies you expect only your first round pick to be a starter. The 2nd and third round guys get some time and put in certain situational roles, and the 4th-7th rounders are primarily special teams and in see very limited action. With this team they need to push that timeline up a year.

4) Get better as the season goes on. These guys aren't going to come out of the gate looking very good. I think that bar has been set. The goal has to be that they end the year looking significantly better.

The timeline I hope to see:

2021 - Probably a handful of wins. Starting off as probably the worst team in the league but ending on a better note. 4-5 wins.

2022 - Still not going to compete but should start putting some pieces together. By now they should have a couple of units that are solid and don't need significant re-work. 7-8 wins.

2023 - Will still have some holes but should have enough strengths to be considered a competitive team. Would love to see them make the playoffs but wouldn't expect a deep run. 10 wins, first round playoff loss. By the end of this season, they would have to have their QB of the future under center, whether it's Goff or a first or second year hotshot.

2024 - This would be the season that you'd expect it all to come together, when they'd be in the chatter as a top-tier team. By now they should have converted all the Stafford draft capital into some solid starters, and be looking to land some big names in free agency or trades to get them over the top. This would be the year you'd expect nothing less than a a division title and a playoff win or two. This would be the first year of their 'window'.

Sucks that it would take this long, but hopefully would be worth it if done right. I know, the NFL is built for parity, so you'll have some that will see my timeline and instantly complain that four seasons is too long. But it's also built in a way where when your previous GM screwed up so much, you have to allow time to wipe the slate clean. They won't say it, but this season is 100% dedicated to undoing the mess they inherited. If you look at it that way, would building an elite team in three seasons be unreasonable?

Breaking news flash happening just NOW. 1991 Detroit Lions 12-4, bring back the magic!!!!

Name:  wayne [[2).jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  162.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Breaking news flash happening just NOW. 1991 Detroit Lions 12-4, bring back the magic!!!!
    Celestial beings put cocaine in his vehicle. They have the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

Name:  wayne [[2).jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  162.8 KB
    Laugh all you want, I can’t think of a better coach that the Lions have had in my lifetime then the big buck.

Mr. Commissioner,

I submit my uninformed guess with nothing to support my opinion: 3 wins 14 loses.

may god have mercy on my soul

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Laugh all you want, I can’t think of a better coach that the Lions have had in my lifetime then the big buck.
    I'm not laughing. There was something about Fontes that got the best out of the Lions back then. He did lead them to a franchise best 12-4 record in 91. Campbell has some similar traits. Just have to see if he can get the players to respond like Wayne did. Any predictions on what they're record will be?

5-12, final answer. Hope they prove me wrong.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast