Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Windsor / Canada is "Open" for US Visitors

Now that the border is “open” for s***s and giggles I downloaded the required arriveCan app to see how it works. If you had watched me, who is reasonably computer savvy, trudging through uploading my vaccine proof, enhanced license, and more, you would see why I put “open” in quotes.

Then I come to the notice that I can only apply within the three days of any visit, have to get and show up with proof of a recent molecular negative covid test, maybe take another when I get there and, the big kicker, have a 14 day quarantine plan in place— all which pretty much adds up to say “f*** you, we really don’t want you to come.” And that’s before dealing with the border guard strike!

I read some articles about Canadians celebrating the return of American tourism but, seriously, how many are going to jump through all those hoops, especially the quarantine plan part? Would you?

Name:  canada-covid-travel.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  154.5 KB

The only way I could see anyone going to Canada right now is if you were going to stay with relatives only. I can't see this appealing to any traveler.

Also... the penalty for faking a vaccination passport is EXTREMELY high... not at all worth the risk!

1) The strike ended yesterday
    2) You are not required to quarantine. You must have a plan to self-isolate if you are showing symptoms when you cross. [[trust me nobody is following up on this and why would you cross with symptoms anyway?)
    3) Why wouldn't you want strong penalties for fraud?
    4) Why use the app? Just drive to the border with your i.d. and vaccine proof.

^ I didn't mention the penalties for fraud because I oppose it... but because I think it is a good thing. People's lives could be at risk by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ I didn't mention the penalties for fraud because I oppose it... but because I think it is a good thing. People's lives could be at risk by that.
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I just don't think it's difficult to come across if you're vaccinated. You can get a rapid test at a pharmacy in a few minutes. I know if the U.S. opens the border with the same rules I won't hesitate to cross. There are other reasons people cross - day trips [[they're not going to ask you to quarantine/self-isolate if you simply return that day), non-essential but important business reasons, lots of people own vacation property in Canada, etc.

The point I was trying to make is that every little step required damages tourism. Yes it’s easy to go to a drug store to get a test but it takes time and costs money. Having a suitable quarantine plan for 14 days is downright confusing. Is someone going to jump through all those hoops and perhaps drive a long distance only to be sent back across the bridge on a technicality?

It’s bad enough with all the passport requirements since 9/11. Now this. Things like this have a way of sticking around and border cities bear the brunt of the economic losses. I’ll probably never see it but hopefully we’ll someday have a Schengen-style treaty like the EU and we can all transit unimpeded.

If countries like France and Germany who killed millions of each other’s kids in the the last century can do that why can’t two countries who have been allies and at peace for two centuries figure that out? /end vent

^^^ Compelling points Lowell. Incrementally, it's all having an impact!

^^^^ Agree Lowell. If the USA/Canada border is supposed to be the friendliest border on Earth... then something went wrong along the way.

2021 is the 100th anniversary of the famous "Peace Arch" in Blaine Washington, [the westernmost town along our long border] and today is more like Checkpoint Charlie...

... just check out the predicament that this unwitting French woman found herself in...

https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/...d-for-2-weeks/
    Last edited by Gistok; August-09-21 at 10:24 PM.