Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mount Trashmore, Riverview, MI

I was unable to get past the paywall to read today's story in the Detroit News, and I haven't followed the history of this Mt. Trashmore, but it occurred to me that the Maralago Mussolini should be carved thereon rather than on Mt. Rushmore.

I remember going skiing here back when I was in high school. It was fun for drunken tumbles down a snowy hill, but really pretty terrible for skiing. Plus the heat rising off the decomposing trash kept melting all the snow. Hasn't this been a golf course for years now?

Trash disposal is essential, we must own up to our waste. How much is the public value of a private golf course?

Local officials who want to expand an already big garbage dump in their local community?

Carting companies don't have a reputation for being on the up and up.
    Last edited by bust; August-06-21 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I remember going skiing here back when I was in high school. It was fun for drunken tumbles down a snowy hill, but really pretty terrible for skiing. Plus the heat rising off the decomposing trash kept melting all the snow. Hasn't this been a golf course for years now?
    More like decades. I think I played there in 1991, I remember it was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Played there regularly in the late 80’s. Three 9-hole courses, one on the north side of Sibley, and two on the south. As I recall, I liked the north course the best.

Sanctuary Lake is a City of Troy public course built on a landfill. Some people sometimes complain of an odor in spots on that course. Be sure to wear your big boy pants if you play that one from the back tees. It’s a links course, great to play in the Fall, few trees, few leaves.

I read once, some loong time ago [I think in the Freep], there are more ski hills in the Detroit metro area than in any other in the US, and they were mostly built on landfills. We call them mountains. Heck, they're where I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    ...We call them mountains.
    IIRC Derby Hill is a sacred Indian mound where they buried Chief Hoffawatha.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I guess I really dated myself as to when I went to high school. I also remember this goofy tv ad they used to run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0B0BggIQI

If this is our reverse Mt. Rushmore which notorious Detroiters in Detroit history would you nominate to be carved into Mt. Trashmore? Mayor Cobo? Kwame? the Underpants Bomber?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    If this is our reverse Mt. Rushmore which notorious Detroiters in Detroit history would you nominate to be carved into Mt. Trashmore?
    Former international UAW president Gary Jones.
    Donald Lobsinger.
    Rev. Charles Coughlin the fascist anti-Semite priest.
    Bob Quinn who fired Jim Caldwell and hired Matt Patricia.
    Tom Selleck mediocre actor and peddler of reverse-mortgage and predatory insurance scams.
    John Mitchell, U.S. Attorney General, born in Detroit
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; August-10-21 at 10:49 AM.