Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Albert Kahn building transformed into upscale apartments

Upbeat news for New Center + architectural gem repurposed. I always considered this lovely building the shy sister of the more sensational and talked-about Fisher Building and GM HQ. Nice to see it revived as an elegant home for Detroiters and the legacy of Albert Kahn continue!

Once home to a Sak's Fifth Avenue and the architectural firm of its namesake, the Albert Kahn Building in Detroit's New Center has entered a new phase of life and recently reopened as upscale housing. The 11-story Art Deco building, 7430 Second Ave., near the Fisher Building, underwent an extensive $70 million redevelopment that carved its former office and retail spaces into 206 rental apartments, including two-floor penthouse units with private terraces.

The developers preserved many of the building's unique details, including its marbled and vaulted lobby and 700 original vintage window frames. They also created new amenity-filled community rooms inside, such as a residents' lounge, a game room, rooftop terrace and a 3,000-square-foot fitness center that is so well-equipped, many early residents are quitting their regular gym memberships.

Glad to see that this redevelopment has finally come to fruition! It's been many years [6? 8? 10?] since I first heard that this was a possibility. But much had to be done to open the space, like moving A Kahn Associates from there into the Fisher Building, and more. Kudos!

I would love to see high end retail to open in the storefront of the building. Isn't there a tunnel that leads from the Khan buildng to the Fisher buildding? I walked the tunnels many of times years ago. They were closed to the general public a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see high end retail to open in the storefront of the building. Isn't there a tunnel that leads from the Khan buildng to the Fisher buildding? I walked the tunnels many of times years ago. They were closed to the general public a few years back

Maybe Saks 5th Ave. and Dittrich Furs will return to that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Glad to see that this redevelopment has finally come to fruition! It's been many years [6? 8? 10?] since I first heard that this was a possibility. But much had to be done to open the space, like moving A Kahn Associates from there into the Fisher Building, and more. Kudos!
    It shows there was a lot of thought put into it and retains the historical aspect,even better was retaining the original windows,which are the first thing to be ripped out.

To me it ranks up at the top for adapted reuse,double Kudos!!

Wow... something that I'm sure that few on the forum realized... that when they built the Fisher Building... we all know that originally a 3 tower massive complex was planned, and only one corner was ever constructed.

But we didn't know that the extra building materials planned to be used for the expansion of the Greater Fisher Building, which was cut short because of the Great Depression... those materials were used instead on the Albert Kahn Building. This building likely would not have been built in 1930-31, due to the depression... had all those materials not been leftovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images