Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Pontchartrain Hotel, now Crowne Plaza, to be the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel

We hear a lot about rebranding, so does re-re-naming the Pontch the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel make it retro-branding? Even though nothing is changing, other than the name, I like the move for the historical nod and find it an improvement over the generic Crowne Plaza that has about as much charm as the name Motel 6. Thoughts?

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-pontchartrain

Thank you, Lowell, for letting us know. I hope they erect an informative plaque on the outside explaining the origin and significance of the name

I have a feeling they either lost or decided not to put the money into maintaining the Crowne Plaza name. There have been many not so favorable reviews, not just from individuals, but from large groups. Hopefully Wyndham ensures they maintain the property well.

Good because I always called the building in front of W. Jefferson Ave. the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel. It's always been the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    We hear a lot about rebranding, so does re-re-naming the Pontch the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel make it retro-branding? Even though nothing is changing, other than the name, I like the move for the historical nod and find it an improvement over the generic Crowne Plaza that has about as much charm as the name Motel 6. Thoughts?
    Perhaps Motel 6 should change it's name. Seeing as the 6 in Motel 6 meant the rooms were $6.00/night..

I guess nothing ever happened with that 2nd tower that was supposed to go up after all the negative press swirling around working conditions there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I guess nothing ever happened with that 2nd tower that was supposed to go up after all the negative press swirling around working conditions there.
    That tower was cancelled years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I have a feeling they either lost or decided not to put the money into maintaining the Crowne Plaza name. There have been many not so favorable reviews, not just from individuals, but from large groups. Hopefully Wyndham ensures they maintain the property well.

This scenario is the most likely and bad news, and not good. Wyndham is a largely budget/mid-scale brand [[Ramada, Baymont, etc) and has a reputation for "hand-me-down" properties that lose their licensing from other chains further up the quality ladder.

Hoping not, but this could the beginning of the the Hyatt>Adoba>Royal Dearborn>Edward>closure trajectory. Until the public feels 100% comfortable with travel and partaking in mass gatherings again, I can't envision a path forward for rethinking the business model for convention hotels.
    Last edited by Onthe405; July-27-21 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-pontchartrain
    I'm not sure I'd look at this as a rebranding move... it's likely a "our hotel was so crappy that the Crowne Plaza brand gave us the boot" move. According to their website, it's now a Wyndham. Which does not strike me as an upgrade.

Wyndham has some 20 brands. The properties that are branded simply "Wyndham," as the Pontchartrain at least currently is, tend to be pretty nice. Cross your fingers.
    Last edited by Burnsie; July-27-21 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Wyndham has some 20 brands. The properties that are branded simply "Wyndham," as the Pontchartrain at least currently is, tend to be pretty nice. Cross your fingers.
    You know, I'm not even really sure this is a "wyndham" brand hotel. Because they're calling it the Fort Pontchartrain Hotel by Wyndham. If you look on their website, the "by Wyndham" treatment is given to almost every property they have. "Days Inn by Wyndham", "Travelodge by Wyndham", "La Quinta by Wyndham", etc. So will it live up to your expectations of a Wyndham? I honestly don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    I'm not sure I'd look at this as a rebranding move... it's likely a "our hotel was so crappy that the Crowne Plaza brand gave us the boot" move. According to their website, it's now a Wyndham. Which does not strike me as an upgrade.
    Going back 20 or 25 years, during it's original configuration, the Pontchartrain was well known as a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Thank you, Lowell, for letting us know. I hope they erect an informative plaque on the outside explaining the origin and significance of the name
    There was a historical marker at the site for "Fort Ponchatrain"

the rest of my post, per the Michigan Historical Marker website

• Site Number: S27
    • Registry Listing Year: 1956
    • Erected Date: 1967
    • Significant Era: Native People and the French [[< 1760)
    • Coordinates: 42.32810,-83.04788
    • County: Wayne

Those reviews are probably coming from people who payed full price to stay at the hotel.

I've stayed there 3 times after getting it on a secret room rate of under a hundred bucks and actually enjoyed all three stays. It has its shortcomings when it comes to the room size and some of the finishing work on the rooms was done a bit sloppily. The pool/hot tub location is a bit goofy as well being so close to the valet dropoff.

I'm actually sad to see it losing its affiliation with crowne plaza. Their hotel are typically pretty clean and the properties well kept. Not to mention the name plate reflects well with out of towners....

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Those reviews are probably coming from people who payed full price to stay at the hotel.

I've stayed there 3 times after getting it on a secret room rate of under a hundred bucks and actually enjoyed all three stays. It has its shortcomings when it comes to the room size and some of the finishing work on the rooms was done a bit sloppily. The pool/hot tub location is a bit goofy as well being so close to the valet dropoff.

I'm actually sad to see it losing its affiliation with crowne plaza. Their hotel are typically pretty clean and the properties well kept. Not to mention the name plate reflects well with out of towners....
    I've stayed there twice also. I only stay downtown when I get a great rate and the hotel was fine for the price. You should still be able to get a quality stay when booking full price. There were articles in the Detroit papers about problems with convention groups as well as staff walking out due to working conditions/wages.
    By the way, the Westin Book Cadillac is odd too. They built that separate addition on the main floor for the pool and you have to get off the elevator and walk past everybody.
    Last edited by 401don; July-28-21 at 05:28 PM.

I've stayed there twice also. I only stay downtown when I get a great rate and the hotel was fine for the price. You should still be able to get a quality stay when booking full price. There were articles in the Detroit papers about problems with convention groups as well as staff walking out due to working conditions/wages.
    By the way, the Westin Book Cadillac is odd too. They built that separate addition on the main floor for the pool and you have to get off the elevator and walk past everybody.

How else would you get to a pool?

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    There was a historical marker at the site for "Fort Ponchatrain"
    Google Street View shows the Fort Pontchartrain on the front wall of the building seen from West Jefferson near Washington Blvd as of October 2020. It was moved from the Larned Street entrance a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    How else would you get to a pool?
    If the original design of a large hotel includes a pool and/or workout area, there's usually an intentional effort to design it so that guests can access these areas without parading through the main lobby or meeting areas in their workout wear or swimsuits.

When recreational features are added as an afterthought in order to compete [common in older hotels], bypassing public areas frequently isn't an option.