Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default New retail for Detroit?

Are there any new chain retail stores to open in Downtown Detroit in the next year beside the expensive t shirt and sneakers shops that had been popping up around downtown?

Some, but not all. Check the Avenue of Fashion.

An upscale clothes store out of Cleveland called Xhibition is opening a location in The Farwell. I believe it’ll be their third store and first outside Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Are there any new chain retail stores to open in Downtown Detroit in the next year beside the expensive t shirt and sneakers shops that had been popping up around downtown?
    There's a new Meijer on Jefferson that's supposed to open. It's a smaller size than their usual store.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rd/7234526002/

Wow, than it is really small as the one on eight mile is pretty small.

I believe it’s going to be on the old University Club space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow, than it is really small as the one on eight mile is pretty small.

It looks like a Meijer party store.

What "expensive t shirt and sneakers shops" are you referring to?

I'm guessing not for the foreseeable future. Amazon has taken a big chunk out of brick and mortar retail. Also the shift to remote work by many companies has removed a segment of the potential customer base for downtown retail. Chains aren't going to risk it in an unproven market like Detroit.

That is why I blame Amazon and on line shopping.

We need retail for buy stuff fast.

You can stuff fast when you're buying things online. It's too slow!!! And you have to watch out for porch pirates while you wait for your packages.

Go out and shop retail millennials. Don't wait and hope for your goodies to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    What "expensive t shirt and sneakers shops" are you referring to?
    I'm assuming John Varvatos, which, according to Google, is temporarily closed.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; July-26-21 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    I'm assuming John Varvatos, which, according to Google, is temporarily closed.
    Their Woodward location is gone for good. Nothing temporary about it. They were replaced by some golf store

[QUOTE=K-slice;613944]What "expensive t shirt and sneakers shops" are you referring to?
    There is one on Broadway and Gratiot or two, one on each side, Xhibition, and another one I can't remember the name

The Rivertown Market will be similar to the Woodward Street Market that on Woodward and 13. Both are Meijer affiliated markets and has or will have decent prices

Wonder if since Apple Academy is coming to Downtown Detroit would that mean that an Apple Store would eventually come to Downtown Detroit as well?

Wondering if Target is in the works in Midtown since there are a couple potential opportunities? The Union Street development [[don’t think that is happening since Union Street Reopened), City Club Apartments in Midtown [[Crain’s Detroit Rumor), potentially Woodward West [[since there is 24,800 square feet of retail), and potentially even the Mid development [[if it happens).

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with those. The one I can think of NoJo Kicks is the only one I'm aware of and they've been there for some time.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum of mid-priced boutiques like Madewell and Lululemon moving in. The Greyson store that took over Varvedos is a nice addition as well.

To me, the H & M is the most important retail store downtown. It is affordable clothing and in a lot of cities. [[And T-shirts are affordable and can be bought in packs).

I don't shop the Avenue of Fashion. Too many flea market type stores on the strip. I had supported a couple of stores in the past but they weren't serious about giving good services and were never open when they were supposed to. The Avenue has great potential and stores could be allowed to open on the strip that could draw out the money in th surrounding areas but those controlling the type of business that open on the strip would would rather keep it only African American ranned

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not familiar with those. The one I can think of NoJo Kicks is the only one I'm aware of and they've been there for some time.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum of mid-priced boutiques like Madewell and Lululemon moving in. The Greyson store that took over Varvedos is a nice addition as well.
    Madewell, Birdbee, and H&M are the only clothing stores that are bringing shoppers downtown. These stores as well as Nike and Under Armour are affordable. One or two t shirt boutiques are good for smaller storefronts. I think that there is a market downtown but if shoppers get free parking vouchers with their receipts shopping would increase drastically

Madewell, Birdbee, and H&M are the only clothing stores that are bringing shoppers downtown. These stores as well as Nike and Under Armour are affordable. One or two t shirt boutiques are good for smaller storefronts. I think that there is a market downtown but if shoppers get free parking vouchers with their receipts shopping would increase drastically
    You don’t think the Nike and Under Armour stores are being in shoppers? Every other person you walk by on Woodward has a bag from one of these stores.

I don't shop the Avenue of Fashion. Too many flea market type stores on the strip. I had supported a couple of stores in the past but they weren't serious about giving good services and were never open when they were supposed to. The Avenue has great potential and stores could be allowed to open on the strip that could draw out the money in th surrounding areas but those controlling the type of business that open on the strip would would rather keep it only African American ranned
    Exactly who controls what type of businesses open on the strip?

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    You don’t think the Nike and Under Armour stores are being in shoppers? Every other person you walk by on Woodward has a bag from one of these stores.
    I mentioned Nike and Under Armour earlier. I should had mentioned Carhartt eventhough its not exactly downtown

I mentioned Nike and Under Armour earlier. I should had mentioned Carhartt eventhough its not exactly downtown
    Also Lululemon. These shops are found in the shopping districts of virtually ever major global city. Nothing special really, but they are popular, so good choices to start out with. Still, can't really call Merchant's Row area a shopping district yet, maybe once the street fills out completely and the surrounding streets also have high quality retail. I've never heard of anyone saying "let's go downtown Detroit to shop." I think getting people from around the region to say that sentence should be a goal of Downtown's city planners.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Also Lululemon. These shops are found in the shopping districts of virtually ever major global city. Nothing special really, but they are popular, so good choices to start out with. Still, can't really call Merchant's Row area a shopping district yet, maybe once the street fills out completely and the surrounding streets also have high quality retail. I've never heard of anyone saying "let's go downtown Detroit to shop." I think getting people from around the region to say that sentence should be a goal of Downtown's city planners.
    some of the earlier renders of the Hudson's Site bldg included a Uniqlo shop in the block building, that, plus an Apple store someone mentioned [[and honestly some Times Square/mall stuff like Sephora that you'd otherwise have to drive out to Somerset for) would be momentum toward a proper shopping district with some regional cred

Capitol One Cafe [[food/banking/community)
    Monroe Street Midway [[entertainment)
    Milk + Froth [[food)
    Apparrallel [[pop up)
    Apple Developer Academy [[education)
    Girl Boss Fashions [[pop up)
    Saucy Brew Works [[food)
    Greyson Clothier [[golf/activewear)
    Three Thirteen [[clothing)
    M Den [[sportswear)

Older, but recent:
    Shinola
    Madewell
    H+M
    Detroit is the New Black
    G-Star
    Bonobos
    Eatori Market
    The TEN Nail Bar
    MarxModa

excuse the parenthesis - app is messed up
    Last edited by hybridy; July-28-21 at 01:02 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast