Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rashida, 1; Matty/Adolph, 0 [Recall petitions tossed]

Christine MacDonald of The Detroit News reports:
    A Wayne County panel today rejected a political consultant's attempts to recall state Rep. Rashida Tlaib for opposing plans to build a second span to the Ambassador Bridge. Wayne County Election Commission members unanimously voted that consultant Adolph Mongo's three petitions lacked clarity to proceed. Mongo didn't attend the 2 p.m. hearing. He represents bridge owner Manuel "Matty" Moroun, whom Tlaib has pushed to conduct an environmental study before being allowed to build another bridge.

It truly was amazing over 100 supporters packed the room [[standing room only).... The Petitioner never even showed.... Even after the petitions were tossed about 15 people spoke on just how incredible they feel the representation Tlaib provides to southwest going further to say that she does the job of more than 2 politicians because she really is the only voice southwest Detroit has....
    I am honored that she is my representative....

Yeah for the people. Now, if someone can stick it to Moroun and force him to either remodel or tear down the train station.

what about making him tear down the 'bridge to nowhere' that he built?

I believe the time is ripe for eminent domain proceedings to commence...on every piece of land held by this man, under all his guises.

Certainly he is an enemy of the state...thinking he is accountable to nobody.

Eminent Domain was established to seize property with just compensation to owners to establish roads and highways for the greater good of the republic. Detroit and other municipalities used eminent domain as an excuse to destroy whole neighborhoods for private purposes and private gain, a pact if you will, between corrupt city officials and private developers and corporations.

In the City of Detroit, it was used to destroy much of the eastside of Detroit, most notably the eastside riverfront. I cite the destruction of Poletown, the Warehouse District, the fiascos of Graimark [[now called Jefferson Meadows) and Grayhaven/Shorepointe Village [[where our prospective mayor now resides as a renter) as a few examples. Sad to think that 17.5 acres of Grayhaven Island was sold for under $130,000, not so long ago.

Federal law has now established that those seizures did not follow the letter of the law. Too late for so many displaced families. Sad also, that while I fought those seizures and lost each time, the fed rulings for right came too late.

I do wish that we could emplement eminent domain, for property owned or seemly controlled by Manny but unfortunately it isn't legal or possible anymore.

Where is the justice?

Eminent Domain was established to seize property with just compensation to owners to establish roads and highways for the greater good of the republic. Detroit and other municipalities used eminent domain as an excuse to destroy whole neighborhoods for private purposes and private gain, a pact if you will, between corrupt city officials and private developers and corporations.

In the City of Detroit, it was used to destroy much of the eastside of Detroit, most notably the eastside riverfront. I cite the destruction of Poletown, the Warehouse District, the fiascos of Graimark [[now called Jefferson Meadows) and Grayhaven/Shorepointe Village [[where our prospective mayor now resides as a renter) as a few examples. Sad to think that 17.5 acres of Grayhaven Island was sold for under $130,000, not so long ago.

Federal law has now established that those seizures did not follow the letter of the law. Too late for so many displaced families. Sad also, that while I fought those seizures and lost each time, the fed rulings for right came too late.

I do wish that we could emplement eminent domain, for property owned or seemly controlled by Manny but unfortunately it isn't legal or possible anymore.

Where is the justice?

A little off thread, I tried to edit my post for spelling errors but the system would not let me. Suggestions anyone as to why?

The moderators have an interlock feature whereby posts that veer far off topic and into the strange are locked ... just to serve as a reminder, or warning, to others to stay on track.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post

Where is the justice?

Your comments are on point, for the most part. Get ready for more of the same with the DRIC in Delray.
    Last edited by kraig; September-11-09 at 07:50 AM.

Mongo needs to go sit in a corner. I am so happy for Rashida and the people she serve.

"Federal law has now established that those seizures did not follow the letter of the law."

I think you have your cases confused. It was the Michigan Supreme Court that overruled their own ruling that allowed for the construction of the Poletown plant. But that only applied to state law. The US Supreme Court ruling in Kelo took a much more expansive view of eminent domain and would probably still allow a Poletown style condemnation, if done with federal power.

Hopefully Mongo will find the broad support of Rep. Tlaib instructive. Don't mess with our Rashida!

Rashida has my sincere admiration. We need more just like her.

I am a bit confused over Gnomes comments. "Strange" was the word used. "Off topic" another. Was Gnome referring to my post or my complaint about editing my post?

I'll check my facts regarding eminent domain. I do believe that a case in Ohio ended up in the US Supreme Court with a ruling that called for a strict adherance to the letter of the law .

What the heck, it's another sleepless night. So I will post again. Matty is just plain power/money drunk and I am happy to see his machine did not win this round. The whole Moroun/Moron family are plain disgusting.

The southwest side does have an opportunity to add an additional voice in the person of Elena Herrada. Detroiters, please vote for her in the up coming election