Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Redford Community Hospital [[1970s)

Does anyone recall if Redford Community Hospital had some sort of large outdoor water fountain near the main entrance circa September 1976? Not a drinking fountain, an outdoor water fountain with a concrete border a kid could accidentally fall from and into the fountain such as I did while there on a hospital visit to see my Dad. He was involved in a motorcycle accident on Five Mile Road, so it would seem that would be the nearest hospital, however there are two others near Livonia where he lived at the time. This one of my earliest childhood memories so I'm seeking to put the issue to rest. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Was the the one on Grand River?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Was it the one on Grand River?
    I believe it may have been Redford Community Hospital, Botsford or St. Mary Mercy, however, hospitals have undergone changes and renovations since then. I can find no trace of an outdoor water fountain area near what must have been a main or Emergency Room entrance.

I see now I originally asked about this five years ago, but it remained unanswered...

Livonia Area Hospital With Water Fountain? [[1970s)

Circa Sep 1976 my father was hospitalized following a motorcycle accident. I was just a child when I visited him in the hospital, but I distinctly recall falling into an outdoor water fountain near the main entrance, after which the medical staff allowed my Grandparents to put my clothes in a dryer. I'm fairly certain the location was St. Mary Mercy Hospital at 36475 Five Mile Road, but it may have been Botsford General Hospital at 28050 Grand River in Farmington Hills. I live out of state now, but when I returned there in 2012 SMM hospital was significantly renovated and no outdoor water fountain seemed to exist at either. Does anyone on this forum have any recollection of a Livonia area hospital with a water fountain [[or wading pool) near the main entrance? This has been a mystery for me for several decades now.
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; July-17-21 at 10:33 PM.

RCH was at Grand River and Brady, but that appears to be gone and a church is in it now. It was a simple brick front building, with no fancy entrance.

Botsford is a pretty good sized place and more possible to have had a fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    RCH was at Grand River and Brady, but that appears to be gone and a church is in it now. It was a simple brick front building, with no fancy entrance.

Botsford is a pretty good sized place and more possible to have had a fountain.
    Yes that is the former hospital, now church. Botsford has been a part of the Beaumont system for a few years now.

Name:  5aff566e539441a1b98d19171fcdf94d_Redford_Community_Hospital.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  198.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Name:  5aff566e539441a1b98d19171fcdf94d_Redford_Community_Hospital.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  198.3 KB
    Many thanks, Dumpling. Definitely not RCH. Will see what I can find on Botsford circa Sep 1976.

Well couple of points. I am not familiar with that area in
    that era but even though it looks like there could not have
    been a fountain in front of this hospital, if Grand River was
    narrower by a lane or two in the past, a fountain could have
    been accommodated back then.

Also, it could have been a small fountain that was larger
    in your remembering because you were a small person at
    that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Well couple of points. I am not familiar with that area in that era but even though it looks like there could not have been a fountain in front of this hospital, if Grand River was narrower by a lane or two in the past, a fountain could have been accommodated back then.

Also, it could have been a small fountain that was larger
    in your remembering because you were a small person at
    that time.
    Those are fair points, but all things considered I am now inclined to believe it was St. Mary Mercy Hospital or Botsford on account of the extent of his injuries and level of life-saving trauma care he would have required. Additionally, I don't recall it being near a roadway at all, rather to the left of perhaps a main or emergency room entrance. I had hoped there would be documentation on file when we settled his estate but all I have found thus far is the police report of the accident, which does not indicate which hospital he was transported to. I'm rather frustrated to find 1970s era photos of Redford/Livonia area hospitals are not readily available online.
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; July-25-21 at 06:56 AM.