Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Did the Southfield New Orleans Mall on 10 Mile used to be a Howard Johnson's?

Name:  hojo.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  56.4 KB
    The New Orleans Mall at the corner of 10 Mile and Greenfield looks like an old Howard Johnson's restaurant, with the orange roof. But old guides I've checked indicate that while there was a HoJo on 10 Mile, it was 2 miles West at 25100 Northwestern by Evergreen. Does anyone know if the New Orleans Mall used to be a HoJo, and when?
    Last edited by narnarnar; July-17-21 at 06:42 PM.

No, it just has an unfortunate resemblance to one. Only the restaurant portion of a HoJo looks like that, and that strip mall with the HoJo roof is way too large to ever have been a HoJo Restaurant.

Thanks; I think you're right. I found some previous threads discussing Detroit-area HoJos and there doesn't ever seem to have been one at that location, but the orange roofs sure match the distinctive HoJo color. I can see from satellite photos that the 2 buildings have been there since at least 1967. I wonder what they were originally built for.

Along East Larned, east of Lafayette Park is this structure with an orange roof, that looks like a modern church. I and my friends used to call this "Our Lady of Howard Johnson's"....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...4!4d-83.018157

There's a building on Pembroke and the Lodge Service drive that use to be a HoJo. The orange roof is still prominent. I grew up in that neighborhood and remember it well in the mid to late 60's. There also was one on 8 Mile and Coolidge. It used to be a HoJo back in the day. it has been various restaurants that have resided there since it closed.

I found an Oct 1967 ad for the Star Bakery located at the New Orleans Mall located at "10 Mi at Greenfield" and another mention from 1964 so I guess these buildings have always been a mall.
    Last edited by narnarnar; July-17-21 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Cincinnati Kid; I was able to find a pic of the Pembroke Hojo.
    Name:  hojo2.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  61.8 KB

There are similar cupolas on a structure near Jackson Square in New Orleans.

The late, mostly unlamented, and now gone Big Boy by the Belle Isle Bridge was originally a Howard Johnson's. It had been remodeled so much though that you could only really tell from the E. Grand Blvd. side of the building.

I’m pretty sure the Kerry’s Coney Island on 10 Mile / Evergreen was a Howard Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Kerry’s Coney Island on 10 Mile / Evergreen was a Howard Johnson.
    Yes, and that Kerby's still looks like a HoJo on the inside!!
    Name:  kerbey's.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  74.8 KB

The only one I remember was there on Northwestern, probably the 10/Evergreen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The only one I remember was there on Northwestern, probably the 10/Evergreen one.
    Ditto

I’m also pretty sure there was a Howard Johnson on Woodward somewhere near Davison, south of Davison I think. It was on the east side of Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There are similar cupolas on a structure near Jackson Square in New Orleans.
    Thank you for the view of the Cafe du Monde! We had our beignets and coffee there once upon a time. Definitely need to get to New Orleans again!!

I remember a number of elementary school birthday parties at the local Howard Johnson located on Mack Ave near Vernier in Grosse Pointe Woods. Roughly where the Kroger currently stands today.

http://www.gpwmi.us/photos/howardJ.html

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I’m also pretty sure there was a Howard Johnson on Woodward somewhere near Davison, south of Davison I think. It was on the east side of Woodward.
    There was a Holiday Inn on the north side of Davison by the old city offices and court.

There was one on Grand Blvd. west of Third, and one downtown but I'm not certain of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    There was one on Grand Blvd. west of Third, and one downtown but I'm not certain of the street.
    If you are referring to a Holiday Inn, right across Michigan Ave. from the Book Cadillac... on the SE corner of Michigan & Washington Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Thank you for the view of the Cafe du Monde! We had our beignets and coffee there once upon a time. Definitely need to get to New Orleans again!!
    Yeah, the more I look at it the more convinced I am that the architecture in the OP is based not on Howard Johnson's but rather on the French Market in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

Beignets, YUM!
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-18-21 at 09:28 PM.

Yes! It was imploded [[the whole building) about 20 years ago. A window shattering day indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If you are referring to a Holiday Inn, right across Michigan Ave. from the Book Cadillac... on the SE corner of Michigan & Washington Blvd.
    No, there was a Howard Johnson's where I went on Friday's for battered clams. It was on a north-south street not far from Washington Blvd.

No, there was a Howard Johnson's where I went on Friday's for battered clams. It was on a north-south street not far from Washington Blvd.

I remember a HoJo's being just on the outskirts of downtown Detroit but for the life of me I can't recall where. Michigan Ave. and Washington Blvd seems about right. Maybe Howard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast