Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Will the Tigers draw a million fans this year?

For a variety of reasons, tickets sales for major league baseball games are much lower this year than in 2019. For the first
    half of the season, the Tigers report selling 417,000 tickets which, I believe, ranks 11th in the American League.

The last time the Tigers drew under one million was in 1964 when Charlie Dressen was the manager. Will the Tigers
    make it to one million in this 2021 season?

Doubtful, to make it to a million, they would need to have at least 12,345 for each home game. They were limited to 8,000 the first couple of months of the season due to COVID restrictions. Considering they're not playing well either won't help. When the COVID restrictions were lifted, they did a media blitz of "Let's Pack the Park". The desire was to have like a "2nd Opening Day" with 41K fans in attendance. I think they drew 17k that first day. The interest isn't really there this season. I think some folks are still leery about COVID & being in a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I think some folks are still leery about COVID & being in a crowd.
    I agree and I don't quite understand why. If you've been fully vaccinated and are reluctant, then you probably feel this pandemic is never going to end and you won't be able to return to normal for a long time. If you didn't get vaccinated then you either don't believe in vaccines or the pandemic so what are you worried about? It seems to be more a general apathy to either the Tigers or getting out to events again.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I agree and I don't quite understand why. If you've been fully vaccinated and are reluctant, then you probably feel this pandemic is never going to end and you won't be able to return to normal for a long time. If you didn't get vaccinated then you either don't believe in vaccines or the pandemic so what are you worried about? It seems to be more a general apathy to either the Tigers or getting out to events again.

The media says it's spiking again especially the Delta Variant. So we're not out the woods yet, whether you're vaccinated or not. Vaccinated people can spread it and not know they have it. They won't get sick, though. I really don't know if this ever goes totally away to be truthful. As far as the Tigers, I don't see them hitting the one million mark.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-15-21 at 03:46 PM.

I was out there last night for the first time this season to see the Tigers destroy the Texas Rangers 14-0. They had nearly 14,000 out on a hazy humid Monday night, so there may be hope yet. Especially if the Tigers keep winning games - they're over .500 since May - these young players and Miggy keep hitting, and we blunt the onrush of Delta with more damn vaccinations.

Watch every Tigers game here in Las Vegas, and I'm just sorry they had such a lousy start this year. Right now, they're looking like a playoff team, and although over a dozen games back, I think they still might have a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Watch every Tigers game here in Las Vegas, and I'm just sorry they had such a lousy start this year. Right now, they're looking like a playoff team, and although over a dozen games back, I think they still might have a shot at it.
    They're a fun, exciting team - finally. The rotation is being held together with string so I don't think they have a chance to move up in the standings, especially if they trade anyone. Avila said he's done trading players for middling prospects. It will have to be someone who can help the team within a year.
    On top of the starter's injuries, Mize & Skubal will be kept on strict innings limits. More important than their record is they are finally finding a few players that can help next year. Baddoo, Rogers, Haase, Hill, Short [[as a utility guy), Funkhouser. Huge credit has to be given to the new coaching staff. The change in swings for Rogers and Hill has been really amazing.

I think AJ Hinch deserves a lot of credit. He's a great manager and while the whole thing in Houston was a shame, we were lucky that we got to pick him up in the fallout. He has a natural feel for the game. That's not something a manager can learn, you either have it or you don't.

That said, I think they will fade toward the end of the year. This is them firing on all cylinders, and you have to expect some regression. Willy Peralta is pitching like a Cy Young candidate right now [[he's not) and Mize and Skubal will, of course, be pulled back. I predict they end the year with 72-75 wins.

It's a good stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    That said, I think they will fade toward the end of the year. This is them firing on all cylinders, and you have to expect some regression. Willy Peralta is pitching like a Cy Young candidate right now [[he's not) and Mize and Skubal will, of course, be pulled back. I predict they end the year with 72-75 wins.
    Turnbull needing TJ surgery is a killer although every forearm strain seems to lead to it these days. Getting it so late in the season means he'll miss all of next year as well. I think we may need robot pitchers before umps the way things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They're a fun, exciting team - finally. The rotation is being held together with string so I don't think they have a chance to move up in the standings, especially if they trade anyone. Avila said he's done trading players for middling prospects. It will have to be someone who can help the team within a year.
    On top of the starter's injuries, Mize & Skubal will be kept on strict innings limits. More important than their record is they are finally finding a few players that can help next year. Baddoo, Rogers, Haase, Hill, Short [[as a utility guy), Funkhouser. Huge credit has to be given to the new coaching staff. The change in swings for Rogers and Hill has been really amazing.
    I expect them to trade at least one or two veteran players like Schoop or Grossman if teams come calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I expect them to trade at least one or two veteran players like Schoop or Grossman if teams come calling.
    I really hope they extend Schoop since none of the young guys grabbed the 2nd base job and he can also play 1st & DH. He won't get much in return as a rental. Grossman is signed for a really cheap 5 million for next year and they don't have any corner outfielders ready to replace him. To get anything back you would have to package them with a high value reliever.