Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ford Field Full Capacity

Not a paranoid Covid person, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable among 65000 people in an enclosed stadium [[not that the Lions sell out much anyway) Think I'll keep my powder dry and stay home for the first few home games, see how it goes.

I haven't been among more than 6 people in so long I forget when. Ten years? Twenty?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I haven't been among more than 6 people in so long I forget when. Ten years? Twenty?
    I was lucky... I went to a full house concert at the Fox [front row seats] on Feb. 13, 2020, just a few weeks before the shutdown of all venues for the pandemic... and then the lights went out in the theatre district...

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not a paranoid Covid person, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable among 65000 people in an enclosed stadium [[not that the Lions sell out much anyway) Think I'll keep my powder dry and stay home for the first few home games, see how it goes.
    They might have a total sellout every now and then, depending on the opponent. But they draw at least 20-30 thousand on a regular basis, despite being such a losing franchise. if you include tailgaters [[haven't heard if they're allowing them back yet) it's even more.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-14-21 at 03:11 AM.

You can always just wait until there out of the playoff chase. Crowds usually thin out in October.

Now we wait and hope that the Lions win decent games.

The Lions almost always sell out their games, and have for a while now. Crowds will thin towards the end of the season, but I doubt the actual gated attendance falls below 40K. The NFL is the hottest sports ticket in town, even in down years.

It will be interesting to see attendance, but I would expect pretty big crowds this season.

Reality check. The Lions have averaged over 60,000 per game since moving into Ford Field. Stadium capacity for football is about 65,000. In 2019, pre-pandemic, the Lions total attendance was 490,737, for an average gate of 61,342. This was somewhat down from recent years, but then the team really sucked, going 3-12-1 for the season.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-14-21 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Reality check. The Lions have averaged over 60,000 per game since moving into Ford Field. Stadium capacity for football is about 65,000. In 2019, pre-pandemic, the Lions total attendance was 490,737, for an average gate of 61,342. This was somewhat down from recent years, but then the team really sucked, going 3-12-1 for the season.

Thanks. I knew they were just about always at capacity with they're crowds. This year won't be any different. That's why if they EVER reach the SB, this town will go bonkers. It's a very loyal fan base here, win or lose.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-14-21 at 01:04 PM.

I would say true sell outs at Ford Field do happen but they aren’t that common. But for every Lions game I’ve been to, it’s always a crowded venue.

I'm certainly not rushing back into Ford Field myself. Much more willing to sit in the true outdoors at Comerica to see bad to mediocre sports. But I'm sure the Lions will still sell a lot of tickets, especially if the current covid trends continue into the fall and the new QB and new coach team shows any signs of life.