Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Damage in Farmington from yesterday's storms

Storm from July 7th.

Last edited by Pam; July-09-21 at 06:28 AM.

I imagine the waterlogged soil is a factor in the tree roots not being anchored well.

I was in the area of Grand River and Haggerty when it hit yesterday. Utility poles snapped off halfway up, one tree behind Weingartz snapped off at ground level and blown across the driveway just to the west of the store. From what was reported on the news tonight it was a Microburst.

Those winds were intense and sustained, not gusts.

They had something similar happening in many scattered areas around metro Detroit My sister in Fraser mentioned lots of tree branches down, a few trees down. She's just 3 miles NW of me in St. Clair Shores... where we were very fortunate the past week. No major rain, no major wind.

It's always sad to see mature trees fall.

The hardest hit areas from wind shear was mostly Farmington and Farmington Hills.

Eighty percent of Farmington did not have power. Trees and powerlines were snapped like tooth picks. That's what all get if you all don't trim your trees. For a few days half of the historical neighborhoods of Downtown Farmington are still without power and fewer powerlines are still down.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

How did you get there? Off of their Home page?

Yes, there was a pair of pink "eyes" that popped up
    and moved eastwards then vanished in the middle of
    that second severe storm cell once it reached the
    Farmington area. They were tornado-ish.

My co workers Uncle lives in SCS and his tree went down on his garage with two cars in it as well as his electric meter getting ripped half off his house. I don't know what part of SCS he lives in but somewhere they got hit hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    They had something similar happening in many scattered areas around metro Detroit My sister in Fraser mentioned lots of tree branches down, a few trees down. She's just 3 miles NW of me in St. Clair Shores... where we were very fortunate the past week. No major rain, no major wind.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    I was in the area of Grand River and Haggerty when it hit yesterday. Utility poles snapped off halfway up, one tree behind Weingartz snapped off at ground level and blown across the driveway just to the west of the store. From what was reported on the news tonight it was a Microburst.

Those winds were intense and sustained, not gusts.
    I also witnessed quarter size hail as well. It came down fast and furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Those clouds look eerie. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My co workers Uncle lives in SCS and his tree went down on his garage with two cars in it as well as his electric meter getting ripped half off his house. I don't know what part of SCS he lives in but somewhere they got hit hard.
    Probably the north end. From what I heard they got the same storms that went thru Fraser [and I assume parts of Roseville]. In the central part of the city where I live... it was just a regular rain storm... with not much wind. But we did experience the same temperature drop of 12 degrees in 10 minutes.

DetroitYES world headquarters in Farmington village lost three big trees including this ancient locust tree that took out the neighbor's car and camper. Minimal damage to my house. Trees down all over particularly in the historic homes district. No one hurt anywhere that I know of. Incredible near vertical wind shear. Not rain drops but solid blobs of water, like the sayin 'raining buckets'.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5597.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  143.2 KB

Oh my goodness Lowell!

I am so sorry to hear about this. Glad no one was hurt or worse. This has been quite a destructive summer for SE Michigan.

Sad about this summer's weather damage too.
    The recent floods were the worst, but ancient trees have a special place in my heart.
    Tall trees are most at risk when they stand alone, with no other trees to diminish the winds.
    I hope you still have some standing, in good shape.
    Let's count our blessings, and plant more trees!