Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NHL goalie Matiss Kivlenieks killed by firework at Novi house party

"Kivlenieks was stepping out of the hot tub when a large mortar type firework tipped and fired right at him. Police say the goalie was about 10 feet away from that mortar at the time."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...i-house-party/

Are these fireworks legal? I know Mich. made the larger ones illegal a few years ago and then everyone just crossed into Indiana to buy them. Sounds a lot like gun laws.

The host of the property or the guest at the party was responsible for improper use of fireworks. They person will be charged. Even if it's freak accident. This could be out from the Spike TV death's blooper show called " 1,000 Ways to Die!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    "Kivlenieks was stepping out of the hot tub when a large mortar type firework tipped and fired right at him. Police say the goalie was about 10 feet away from that mortar at the time."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...i-house-party/

This is horrible. My condolences to his family and friends.

This time a year it sounds like a battlefield at night and accidents like this seem sadly inevitable. Nevermind the traumatized PTSD victims and pets.

Maybe some of you saw this still cause-not-determined explosion in Warren the other day. It wouldn't surprise me if it was fireworks related too.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.10.20 AM.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  52.9 KB
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...rews-on-scene/

My wife and I are known as the "protective parents". We didn't attend the hour-long amateur fireworks show my neighbors put on. I have no regrets. It's just such a waste of money and unneeded risk.

There are some municipalities that aren't putting on fireworks shows due to the pandemic. I feel like there's an increase in the amateur spending due to that. It's a bummer, the cities have to plan months in advance and just a month ago the pandemic was raging, so I understand the hesitancy in spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Are these fireworks legal? I know Mich. made the larger ones illegal a few years ago and then everyone just crossed into Indiana to buy them. Sounds a lot like gun laws.
    The Michigan fireworks laws changed under Snyder to allow more fireworks that were previously illegal. I don't think that includes "mortars" big enough to kill someone. That sounds like professional grade ones.

I'd like to see them all banned again. Every year I write to the reps in Lansing and nothing ever happens.

I agree; they need to be banned again. Even sparklers are quite dangerous; they get up to 1600° and cause horrible burns on a lot of kids.
    The Michigan fireworks laws changed under Snyder to allow more fireworks that were previously illegal. I don't think that includes "mortars" big enough to kill someone. That sounds like professional grade ones.

I'd like to see them all banned again. Every year I write to the reps in Lansing and nothing ever happens.

I was thinking meth lab, but either way..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This time a year it sounds like a battlefield at night and accidents like this seem sadly inevitable. Nevermind the traumatized PTSD victims and pets.

Maybe some of you saw this still cause-not-determined explosion in Warren the other day. It wouldn't surprise me if it was fireworks related too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I was thinking meth lab, but either way..
    Last I heard was that in the Warren condo explosion there were reports of a natural gas odor. What's creepy is that they don't seem to want to declare it accidental yet.

That was one heck of a mushroom cloud.

I read somewhere that more Americans have been killed/injured by fireworks than by nuclear weapons tests.

Neighbors reported him saying he wanted to kill himself [["blow himself up") in recent weeks. He was just released from prison and was on parole.....https://twitter.com/charlielangton/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    Last edited by Maof; July-06-21 at 09:59 AM.

Here's a link I found from a couple of years ago.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/05/14/faq-michigan-fireworks-laws-memorial-day/3665537002/

These are all legal. I'm not sure what some of these are. If the one in Novi was legal, maybe they will be banned now.

• Roman candles
    • Bottle rockets
    • Missile type rockets
    • Aerials
    • Reloadable shell devices
    • Firecrackers
    • Helicopter/aerial spinners
    • Single tube device with report

Even the 'pros' screw up:

Nashville SWAT team forced to seek shelter in 'blast zone' during fireworks show
    UPI.com|18 hours ago
    Nashville police officers performing an investigation before a Fourth of July fireworks display were forced to seek shelter when the show began while they were still in the "blast zone," authorities said Monday.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021...9191625516363/

Why would they do this in a way that possibly occupied buildings would be in a 'blast zone'?

At least the pros are usually insured. That's why Clawson didn't do a show this year; it was too late to get the insurance by the time crowds were allowed.
    I can just imagine what this is going to cost Manny Legace in lawsuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Even the 'pros' screw up:

Nashville SWAT team forced to seek shelter in 'blast zone' during fireworks show
    UPI.com|18 hours ago
    Nashville police officers performing an investigation before a Fourth of July fireworks display were forced to seek shelter when the show began while they were still in the "blast zone," authorities said Monday.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021...9191625516363/

Why would they do this in a way that possibly occupied buildings would be in a 'blast zone'?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Even the 'pros' screw up:....
    Not to mention that embarrassing explosion in South LA the other day during a planned detonation. The vessel designed to contain the blast failed, destroying its own armored vehicle in the process!

Blast at 1:51:

Large explosion occurs as LAPD attempts to seize illegal fireworks

I thought that loosening of fireworks laws occurred under Granholm?

The Michigan fireworks laws changed under Snyder to allow more fireworks that were previously illegal...

These are your fireworks.

These are your fireworks in a bomb truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I thought that loosening of fireworks laws occurred under Granholm?
    Nope, it was in 2012 under Snyder. It was called "The Michigan Fireworks Safety act". What a joke.

The main thing that changed with the legislation under Snyder was that the fireworks became much more easily accessible by allowing wholesalers to operate within the state, since you no longer had to make the 2 hour drive to Ohio to get them.

Those pics are from LA last weekend 17 injured, 20 homes evacuated, 32,000 lbs. of fireworks stored in a backyard. Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.10.20 AM.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  52.9 KB
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...rews-on-scene/

I thought was a mini A-bomb.

Not too much into modern day fireworks. I remember M-80’s and cherry bombs. Those were really good, don’t have too much of an urge to blow shit up these days, getting old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast