Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Removing Paint From Windshield

I removed car dealer paint from my windshield using a generous amount of Dawn dish soap and 0-0-0-0 steel wool. No water. It worked easily and perfectly. No scratches, no residue. The paint collected on the steel wool. Tried a razor blade at first but it was too slow and dicey.

Not sure what your point is, but that could have been really stupid. Some cars now [you didn't specify] have special coatings that you could have damaged. That dealer paint is supposed to be water soluble, so a bit of water and a damp cloth, or a non abrasive scrubber should have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Detroit View Post
    I removed car dealer paint from my windshield using a generous amount of Dawn dish soap and 0-0-0-0 steel wool. No water. It worked easily and perfectly. No scratches, no residue. The paint collected on the steel wool. Tried a razor blade at first but it was too slow and dicey.
    Good job.

Problem with trying to use a razor blade is unless held flat against the glass it will scratch,but then the little flakes that make it down to the cowl vents are a pia once they stick.

When I had a dealership there were several varieties of that stuff,some were not so water proof simply because you did not want to keep applying it after every rain storm,and they were hard to get off.

0000 is good for cleaning glass and polishing chrome,not that many cars have chrome anymore,but they should have cleaned it off for you before delivery.

When I sold cars as a private person,a cheap bottle of white shoe polish worked well and was easy to wash off.

If you were referring to actual paint as in overspray,the big box store and auto parts stores sell lacquer thinner,which you would put some on a rag and rub the paint away,being careful no to spill it on paint that you do not want removed.

It will also give you a buzz if you inhale it to much,some would consider that a bonus but not recommended.

After using the 0000 you would want to rinse everything down really good,because there will be little tiny pieces of it that will rust where they land if not flushed away.

Thats why one should only use stainless steel to clean stainless steel,steel wool will make it rust.
    Last edited by Richard; July-04-21 at 07:10 PM.